Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Install linux in laptop
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Install linux in laptop Post 28180 by RuDe_BuT_CoOoL on Saturday 14th of September 2002 09:54:09 AM
Old 09-14-2002
Question Install linux in laptop

Dear expert

I want to install a linux on laptop and it will be the only os on that laptop I checked many sites to checked that but i worry about somthings.

first the model of the laptop
it is Toshiba Satellite 440CDX and its sepecification is
1.8 GB hard disk
P1 133MH with MMX technology
16MB RAM

for more details
http://www.baber.com/used/used_lapto...epro440cdx.htm

----------

the problem that the memory is 16MB and I am afraid that mandrake or redhat needs more memory. I checked there sites and the hardware compatable page is saying that its support them but not checked, and I see there main page and amazon bage .. they required 64MB

-----------

so what can I do now. I have seen the most polls in many sites most of the linux user the votes for redhat nad mandrake. any opinion please

and thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux graphics on a laptop

I'm trying to setup Redhat 7.0 on a Dell Latitude C600/C610. Only thing I can't get to work is the damn graphics resolution. It's all configured correct apart from that. What it is when I type 'startx' the resolution is huge. Shows about a quater of the screen resolution because of this. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: merlin
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux Kernel configuration (laptop)

Hi! I'm recompiling a kernel (Linux 2.4.18) for my laptop just to take away all unnecessary stuff and add some other various things :) I would consider myself a beginner slowly becoming an intermediate, thus my knowledge in the linux kernel and hardware aren't that great. My question is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: J.P
1 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

HP has new Linux Laptop

Newfactor Cnet story HP Web Site It's cool that they offer it. But it comes with XP Pro. Change that to XP Home and you save $50. Change that to Linux and it costs the same as XP Home. They are not passing the savings to the consumer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
1 Replies

4. Solaris

I want to install x386 on my laptop

All, I want to install x386 Solaris 10 on my laptop. Is there a tool avaialable to see if my laptop's hardware components are supported? Thanks in advance, Max (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m@dm@x
2 Replies

5. Solaris

can't install solaris 10 on toshiba laptop

i had a toshiba laptop ( satellite L20 - 100) and i'm trying to install solaris 10 ...but it doesn't complete the setup from the very first begining it gives me this msg: unable to reset device //pci@0,0/pci1179,ff31@1d,2 can anybody help me installing solaris on the pc??? also can the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slimydoom
2 Replies

6. Linux

Linux-laptop compatibility debate

Hey guys, i use my mac laptop and i love it, but i have decided its time to break the mold and use linux, and since linux on macs suck, i need to know what kind of pc to build... I want to know what kind of motherboard, wireless cards, hard drives, laptops, video cards, and etc. people have had... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mesaynaysayer
3 Replies

7. Linux

HDD not recognised while trying to install Linux enterprise on HP laptop

Hi, Can anyone give me the clue to my problem which is hdd not recognised when l tried to install linux enterprise edition on my laptop HP compaq nc6320 centrino. thanxs (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayode
6 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Install hangs on laptop

I have an older laptop the "management" wants me to use instead of buying something that works. Not an antique but a couple years old. An HP with Turion AMD CPU, ATI video. When I try to install in graphical mode, it hangs after package selection. Doesn't matter whether I select server or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RocketGuy
6 Replies

10. Linux

Clean Install of Linux on Laptop

I have not been a Windows user at home since the first Intel Macs came out and I am thinking of moving to Linux and putting either Fedora or Ubuntu on a laptop as a clean install. However, I am hearing horror stories of those who have attempted the same thing with laptops with Windows 8.1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfaloney
4 Replies
LM-PROFILER(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    LM-PROFILER(8)

NAME
/usr/sbin/lm-profiler - laptop mode profiler SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lm-profiler DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the /usr/sbin/lm-profiler command. lm-profiler is a tool for profiling disk operations. It is a part of laptop mode tools and is useful only in relation to rest of laptop mode tools. It helps you to detect programs and services that use up system resources and that cause disk activity, and it allows you to disable them when laptop mode is active. When you start lm-profiler, it will execute a "profiling run", which can take some time. Start lm-profiler when you are working on batter- ies, preferably, because that will allow it to analyze the actual situation that it is supposed to optimize. During the profiling run, you can use your system normally; however, any disk activity caused by your actions will end up in the profiler's results. When the profiling run is finished, you will be presented with a list of programs that deserve your attention, either because they listen on a network (which is not usually useful when you are working offline) or because they caused disk activity in a disk-spindown-unfriendly pattern. When lm- profiler can guess an init script that belongs to a program, it presents you with the opportunity to disable the program when you are work- ing on battery. It does this by placing a link to the init script in /etc/laptop-mode/batt-stop. Any programs that lm-profiler cannot find an init script for is simply reported, so that you can stop the program manually if you want to. WARNING ABOUT DISABLING PROGRAMS: It may not be safe to disable some programs. They may be needed for proper operation of your system. Dis- able services only if you know what they do and why you don't need them. FILES
/etc/lm-profiler.conf lm-profiler retrieves its profiling rules from this file. SEE ALSO
lm-profiler.conf(8). laptop-mode.conf(8). daemons.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk) and Jan Polacek (jerome@ucw.cz) for the Debian system (but may be used by oth- ers). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. LM-PROFILER(8)