Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assigning a shell variable as a float Post 28163 by Optimus_P on Friday 13th of September 2002 06:14:51 PM
Old 09-13-2002
try eval in your exprestion.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning command output to a shell variable

I have the sql file cde.sql with the below contents: abcdefghij abcwhendefothers sdfghj when no one else when others wwhen%others exception when others Now I want to search for the strings containing when others together and ceck whether that does not occur more than once in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kprattip
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning nawk output to shell variable

Hello friends, I doing the follwing script , but found problem to store it to a shell variable. #! /bin/sh for temp in `find ./dat/vector/ -name '*.file'` do echo $temp nawk -v temp=$temp 'BEGIN{ split(temp, a,"\/"); print a}' done output: ./dat/vector/drf_all_002.file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of command to a variable in shell

hi, I want to assign find command result into some temporary variable: jarPath= find /opt/lotus/notes/ -name $jarFile cho "the jar path $jarPath" where jarPath is temporary variable. Can anybody help on this. Thanks in advance ----Sankar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar reddy
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning variable from command outputs to shell

First, this is bash (3.2.17), on a Mac, 10.5.7. What I'm trying to do is look at a list of users, and check to see if each exists. If they do, do some more stuff, if they don't, drop them into an error file. So, my user list is: foo - exists bar - does not exist blah - does not exist ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: staze
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value of SQL output to a variable in shell scripting

I am trying to assgn the output of the select statement to a variable, like this "VARIABLE_NAME=$ db2 "select COLUMN_NAME_1 from TABLE_NAME where COLUMN_NAME_2='VALUE_TO_CHECK'"; " but the value that is getting into VARIABLE_NAME is "COLUMN_NAME_1 ----------------- VALUE 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgmini
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning return value of an embedded SQL in a shell script variable

I've a script of the following form calling a simple sql that counts the no of rows as based on some conditions. I want the count returned by the sql to get assigned to the variable sql_ret_val1. However I'm finding that this var is always getting assigned a value of 0. I have verified by executing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MxC
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning fields variables value to shell variable

suppose I have a file named abc.txt.The contents of the file is sited below abc.txt maitree,test,test3 Using awk command can I store these 3 values in 3 different variable and in one single line command of awk. suppose variable a b c is there. I don't want like this a=`awk -F"," '{print... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't assign float value into another variable

hello I have write one script which calculate result of student and takes input from file named "student.txt". This file has filed name rollno, name, mark1,mark2 and mark3. My problem is that i want percentage with 2 floating point. I have write whole shell script but it can't work. Code is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csharpque
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Assigning Shell variable

Hello, Need a small help to execute below script. #!/bin/bash . new.txt for no in 3 4 do echo $((uname_$no)) done new.txt contains uname_1="XXXXXX" uname_2="YYYYY" uname_3="ZZZZZ" ......... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna2166
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Assigning an expression to a variable in shell script

i am trying to assign the following expression to a variable in Unix shell script and want to use that variable in some other expression. But unable to get the required thing done. Please help with this.... This is the expression which i want to provide as input the variable date '+%y:%m:%d' |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
3 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)