Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers default directory permissions Post 28100 by Thumpasorus on Thursday 12th of September 2002 06:42:29 PM
Old 09-12-2002
ty 4 the reply

My problem is this: I set my computer up to be a testing server and my general workflow is--

write
fail
edit
test
edit
test
edit
test
etc...
succeed!

As it stands right now I have to manually change the permissions of the file I am testing every time I edit it. I guess it's not that big of deal if I just use the shells history to repeat the chmod command, but it is irritating and having the computer do it automagically would take one step out of my workflow. Over the long run, that step would add up (and it's one more thing for me to forget to do Smilie )

hmmm, perhaps there is another solution. I'm using OSX so I have access to appleScript. I could maybe make a drop folder that changes the permissions, but I know next to nothing of appleScript.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks again,

Thumpasorus

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine owner directory permissions from within the directory

From within a directory, how do I determine whether I have write permission for it. test -w pwd ; echo ? This doesn't work as it returns false, even though I have write permission. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permissions of a directory

Read and write bits make sense for a directory but what about the execute permission bit What does that imply?Is it just a filler? Saurabh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smehra
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Directory Default Permissions

Hi, I have a directory with files and sub-directories. Users write files to it by using copy/create/tar/ftp etc. I want this directory to have default permissions of 775 (for its files and sub-dir as well). I tried the below 2 ways but they are not upto my exact requirement so i need a better... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change permissions in a certain directory?

Hi , I have a situation where plenty of users log in to the same directory and put in files. When they put in the files, I need those files to become group writable (chmod g+w) automatically. I have no control over the users' profiles. Is there a way to do it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praveen_indramo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Home Directory Permissions

My users home directory located in a RHEL 5.0 nfs server. Client is ubuntu 8.1 using NIS for authntication anf NFS for automounting home Directory on the client side. I set 700 to the users home directory. My problem here is some of the users change the mode, which result in leak of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_artha
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Permissions

Hi all. Only one of the following makes any kind of sense as a possible permission field for a UNIX file. Which one? --w------- ----rwxrwx -r-------- --rwx----- ----r----- I think it is no. 3. I dont think it would be 2, because why would you want to give groups and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawaiifiver
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting default directory file permissions and ownership help

I'm trying to setup a directory structure for my staff which enables them full access to files in the directories with their name, and have access to anything in the shared directory. The directory structure looks like this: root@www10 # ls -l total 56 drwxr-xr-x 7 internal internal 4096... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: v_greg
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking directory permissions on UNIX directory

Hi, How do i check if I have read/write/execute rights on a UNIX directory? What I'm doing is checking read access on the files but i also want to check if user has rights on the direcory in whcih these files are present. if then...... And I check if the directory exists by using... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetancrsp18
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Directory Permissions for 2 users on 1 directory

we want to allow user to FTP files into a directory, and then the program (PLSQL) will read and process the file, and then move the file to other directory for archiving. the user id: uftp1, group: ftp the program run in oracle database, thus have the user Id: oraprod, group: dba how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siakhooi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory permissions

i have an application that writes to a directory. let's call the directory: /var/app/ the permissions of this directory is: drwxrwxr-x Now the files that the application creates in this directory usually dont have read permissions for others. i know there's something called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)