Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Correctly received bytes?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Correctly received bytes? Post 28066 by mint1981 on Thursday 12th of September 2002 02:48:02 AM
Old 09-12-2002
Correctly received bytes?

I have been puzzled over how to find out between correctly received bytes and total received bytes in the UNIX system.

So far, I guess that the information provided by the ifconfig or netstat command provides me with the total transmitted/received packets and bytes over each of my connections.

On the other hand, where can i find out how many bytes that I have actually correctly received? I know the number of packets that have errors but I don't know how many bytes were in each packet, so that I wouldn't know how many bytes were lost.

Is there another way or another system command for this?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

SIGHUP received to pppd

Hi all, I have a question about pppd. I got a Slack box with kernel 2.4.20. I'm learning how to connect my CONSOLE to internet with a chat script. Following these steps, MANY times I can connect to internet very pretty nice. But also MANY times (says 50%-50%) SIGHUP received to pppd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaguar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first N bytes and last N bytes from a binary file on AIX.

Hi all, Does anybody know or guide me on how to remove the first N bytes and the last N bytes from a binary file? Is there any AWK or SED or any command that I can use to achieve this? Your help is greatly appreciated!! Best Regards, Naveen. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveendronavall
1 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

no email received

I have tried to register and got a message saying an email would be sent but no email has turned up. Could you try again please? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lookingfor help
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted(tried to allocate 401 bytes)

While running script I am getting an error like Few lines in data are not being processed. After googling it I came to know that adding such line would give some memory to it ini_set("memory_limit","64M"); my input file size is 1 GB. Is that memory limit is based on RAM we have on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem on email sent but not received

hi.. I have the porblem where the email was sent but not received by users.. The message as below:- Dec 16 11:42:04 isp postfix/smtp: A80042B4B: to=<user_name@example.com.my>, relay=smtp.example.com.my:25, delay=890, delays=0.17/0.02/31/859, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bh_hensem
1 Replies

6. Programming

Copying 1024 bytes data in 3-bytes chunk

Hi, If I want to copy a 1024 byte data stream in to the target location in 3-bytes chunk, I guess I can use the following script. dd bs=1024 count=3 if=/src of=/dest But, I would like to know, how to do it via a C program. I have tried this with memcpy(), that did not help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X bytes of 0, Y bytes of random data, Z bytes of 5, T bytes of 1. ??

Hello guys. I really hope someone will help me with this one.. So, I have to write this script who: - creates a file home/student/vmdisk of 10 mb - formats that file to ext3 - mounts that partition to /mnt/partition - creates a file /mnt/partition/data. In this file, there will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razolo13
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script - entered input(1-40 bytes) needs to be converted exactly 40 bytes

hello, suppose, entered input is of 1-40 bytes, i need it to be converted to 40 bytes exactly. example: if i have entered my name anywhere between 1-40 i want it to be stored with 40 bytes exactly. enter your name: donald duck (this is of 11 bytes) expected is as below - display 11... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shravan.300
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Error received

I have a program that i need to get done that gets the person's name and his grade then prints it in this order "name-grade-gradeletter" so i wrote this code: #!/bin/bash while :; do read -p "Enter the person's name: " name read -p "Enter the grade of the person: " grade case $grade in )... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UniverseCloud
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any help gratefully received

Multiple questions coming your way. A little back ground info as to why I am back to basics. A dear friend of mine passed away recently and as a request by him I have promised to keep his project alive. The problem I have it was being handed over when he was in the last weeks of his life and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nobbyall
1 Replies
PPPSTATS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       PPPSTATS(8)

NAME
pppstats - print PPP statistics SYNOPSIS
pppstats [ -a ] [ -v ] [ -r ] [ -z ] [ -c <count> ] [ -w <secs> ] [ interface ] DESCRIPTION
The pppstats utility reports PPP-related statistics at regular intervals for the specified PPP interface. If the interface is unspecified, it will default to ppp0. The display is split horizontally into input and output sections containing columns of statistics describing the properties and volume of packets received and transmitted by the interface. The options are as follows: -a Display absolute values rather than deltas. With this option, all reports show statistics for the time since the link was initi- ated. Without this option, the second and subsequent reports show statistics for the time since the last report. -c count Repeat the display count times. If this option is not specified, the default repeat count is 1 if the -w option is not specified, otherwise infinity. -r Display additional statistics summarizing the compression ratio achieved by the packet compression algorithm in use. -v Display additional statistics relating to the performance of the Van Jacobson TCP header compression algorithm. -w wait Pause wait seconds between each display. If this option is not specified, the default interval is 5 seconds. -z Instead of the standard display, show statistics indicating the performance of the packet compression algorithm in use. The following fields are printed on the input side when the -z option is not used: IN The total number of bytes received by this interface. PACK The total number of packets received by this interface. VJCOMP The number of header-compressed TCP packets received by this interface. VJUNC The number of header-uncompressed TCP packets received by this interface. Not reported when the -r option is specified. VJERR The number of corrupted or bogus header-compressed TCP packets received by this interface. Not reported when the -r option is spec- ified. VJTOSS The number of VJ header-compressed TCP packets dropped on reception by this interface because of preceding errors. Only reported when the -v option is specified. NON-VJ The total number of non-TCP packets received by this interface. Only reported when the -v option is specified. RATIO The compression ratio achieved for received packets by the packet compression scheme in use, defined as the uncompressed size divided by the compressed size. Only reported when the -r option is specified. UBYTE The total number of bytes received, after decompression of compressed packets. Only reported when the -r option is specified. The following fields are printed on the output side: OUT The total number of bytes transmitted from this interface. PACK The total number of packets transmitted from this interface. VJCOMP The number of TCP packets transmitted from this interface with VJ-compressed TCP headers. VJUNC The number of TCP packets transmitted from this interface with VJ-uncompressed TCP headers. Not reported when the -r option is specified. NON-VJ The total number of non-TCP packets transmitted from this interface. Not reported when the -r option is specified. VJSRCH The number of searches for the cached header entry for a VJ header compressed TCP packet. Only reported when the -v option is spec- ified. VJMISS The number of failed searches for the cached header entry for a VJ header compressed TCP packet. Only reported when the -v option is specified. RATIO The compression ratio achieved for transmitted packets by the packet compression scheme in use, defined as the size before compres- sion divided by the compressed size. Only reported when the -r option is specified. UBYTE The total number of bytes to be transmitted, before packet compression is applied. Only reported when the -r option is specified. When the -z option is specified, instead displays the following fields, relating to the packet compression algorithm currently in use. If packet compression is not in use, these fields will all display zeroes. The fields displayed on the input side are: COMPRESSED BYTE The number of bytes of compressed packets received. COMPRESSED PACK The number of compressed packets received. INCOMPRESSIBLE BYTE The number of bytes of incompressible packets (that is, those which were transmitted in uncompressed form) received. INCOMPRESSIBLE PACK The number of incompressible packets received. COMP RATIO The recent compression ratio for incoming packets, defined as the uncompressed size divided by the compressed size (including both compressible and incompressible packets). The fields displayed on the output side are: COMPRESSED BYTE The number of bytes of compressed packets transmitted. COMPRESSED PACK The number of compressed packets transmitted. INCOMPRESSIBLE BYTE The number of bytes of incompressible packets transmitted (that is, those which were transmitted in uncompressed form). INCOMPRESSIBLE PACK The number of incompressible packets transmitted. COMP RATIO The recent compression ratio for outgoing packets. SEE ALSO
pppd(8) 26 June 1995 PPPSTATS(8)