Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linking Directories...
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Linking Directories... Post 27846 by floppiless on Sunday 8th of September 2002 02:28:40 PM
Old 09-08-2002
Question Linking Directories...

Hi there,

I am very new to UNIX. Currently, I am running Mac OS X. I set up a FTP server on my computer so that I can transfer files back and forth between my computer at home and at work. All my data and files are located in a directory in another drive, but when I log in, I would be in my home directory, which is another drive. I am trying to create a directory (link) in my home directory, which when I double click on it or cd to it, it would bring me to the directory located in the other drive.

I can do that under Mac OS X environment with no problem, but then, I think file structure with 'alias' is different from the Mac and the rest of the computing world. Because when I try to FTP to my account or using the Network Neighbourhood connecting from Windows, that 'alias' is a file instead of a shortcut to a directory.

Any suggestion for linking these directories would help. Thanks. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Linking problem while linking to shared library

Hi I'm getting ld: fatal: option -h and building a dynamic executable are incompatible ld: fatal: Flags processing errors When I run ld -shared -L/usr/dt/lib -lDtSvc -o builtin.so Workspace.o after running gcc -fPIC -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/dt/include -c Workspace.c I'm... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laho
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is linking possible?

how would i link 2 files together? is it the same as copying? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trob
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the directories, sub directories in a mount along with size in ascending order?

Hi , I am very new to unix as well as shell scripting. I have to write a script for the following requirement. In a particular mount, have to list all the directories and sub directories along with size of the directory and sub directory in ascending order. Please help me in this regard and many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmakkena
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date. Example: Directories with name "pkg32*" or "pkg33*" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order, with creation date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies
MOUNT_FTP(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      MOUNT_FTP(8)

NAME
mount_ftp -- mount a FTP filesystem SYNOPSIS
mount_ftp [-i] [-o options] ftp://host[:port][/path] node DESCRIPTION
The mount_ftp command mounts a FTP-enabled server directory at ftp://host[:port][/path] at the mount point indicated by node. If the -i option is not used, all the required information to establish a login to the remote server must be available in the ftp URL, including username & password if needed. The user ID for all files and folders is set to the user's real user ID. The group ID for all files and directories is set to unknown, and the permissions default to read and execute for user, group and other. The options are: -i Interactive mode, you are prompted for the username and password if you did not supply one in the url. -o Options passed to mount(2) are specified with the -o option followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The rdonly option will be set even if it was not specified because mount_ftp does not allow files to be opened with write access on servers. ftp://host[:port][/path] The FTP-enabled server directory to mount as a volume. If port is not specified, then port 21 is used. If path is not specified, then the path "/" is used. node Path to mount point. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount the FTP-enabled server directory ftp.apple.com/ at the mount point /Volumes/mntpnt/ mount_ftp ftp://ftp.apple.com/ /Volumes/mntpnt/ SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) HISTORY
The mount_ftp command first appeared Mac OS X Version 10.2. RETURN VALUES
0 mount_ftp successfully mounted the server directory. [ENOENT] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the node path is invalid. [ENODEV] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because it is not FTP-enabled or because it does not exist, or because node does not have proper access. [ECANCELED] The server directory could not be mounted by mount_ftp because the user did not provide proper authentication credentials. BUGS
mount_ftp only supports mounting read-only. Mac OS X June 6, 2003 Mac OS X