Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Difference in administration
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Difference in administration Post 27784 by RTM on Friday 6th of September 2002 03:16:26 PM
Old 09-06-2002
Huge. I was amazed at the different commands for system administration. Commands to look at different aspects of the system used in Solaris just aren't there - the commands, not the ability to view the same type of info. Just different way of doing it. Stuff like prtdiag, prtvtoc, psrinfo, ... is just not there. This page may be helpful - unixguide.net

AIX has an unbelievable amount of lsxxx commands. I only worked with it for a short time so didn't gather a great deal of experience with it, but there is a great GUI interface for administration. Very different way of doing administration - smit was one of the tools - I'm not sure if that was the 'running man' one or not. (You click your options, hit run, and this 'running man' would run while waiting for the command to finish...very irratating. One good thing about it, it would show you the command line (if you so desire) of what you just ran.

HP-UX - use SAM for adding users, printers and such. Better than admintool (don't remember if it's a true GUI interface ).
You can probably search through this site for HP-UX for other commands (a good monitor tool is glance). HP-UX is different but not as much of a shock as AIX was.

The link I put in will show you how different each one is just for those commands/styles of doing things. Get a book on each or start looking at the different links to get more of an education. You'll be sweating it out the first few months, but you'll be better off in the long run. You never know when someone will need a person with all three and you'll be one up on the competition.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Administration

I have been working with UNIX (HP-UX) now for a couple of years. Have become quite capable in shell scripting and general UNIX use. The local university offers a certification course in UNIX administration which I am considering taking. However, the certification is geared toward UNIX in general... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Web Administration

Hi I need help on to administering a web server.We r hosting web sites . I need an web interface through customers can login into their Account Control Centre where they can manipulate ftp,mailboxes,passwors,crond,mysql Vijay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vijayanand
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote administration

Is there a way to do remote administration on my Sun/Solaris 2.5? I have a server that is running an old copy of ARCServe 2.2 and I need to do monthly administration on it. The only way to use it is from the server so I want to use a VNC type product to do it. Since I know zip about unix, I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: athpam
1 Replies

4. Solaris

user administration

hi ' i am creating a primary group and a secondary group for a user. #groupadd -g 101 test #groupadd -g 102 test1 #useradd -d /export/home/user1 -m -s /bin/ksh -g test -G test user1 in /etc/passwd i can find the username as user1 and group name as test and where can i find the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhudeepan
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Patch Administration

Hi, I want to set upa centralised server for downloading patches from the internet and all my clients should use that central server to download patches and upgrade. Could someone please help me in doing this. Thanks, Trimu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
2 Replies

6. Programming

what is the main difference between difference between using nonatomic lseek and O_APPEND

I think both write at the end of the file ...... but is there a sharp difference between those 2 instruction ..... thank you this is my 3rd question today forgive me :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fwrlfo
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Centralizing Administration

Hi guys. I work in an environment that caters to 150 + Solaris servers. I was wondering whether there is an application/Software that can be used to centralize Administration. e.g. If a new member comes into the team , I am required to go onto every server and create his login. Is there a system... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to calculate difference of split and sum the difference

In the awk I am trying to subtract the difference $3-$2 of each matching $4 before the first _ (underscore) and print that value in $13. I think the awk will do that, but added comments. What I am not sure off is how to add a line or lines that will add sum each matching $13 value and put it in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
ii(7D)								      Devices								    ii(7D)

NAME
ii - Instant Image control device DESCRIPTION
The ii device is a control interface for Instant Image devices and controls the Instant Image module through the ioctl(2) interface. Instant Image is a point-in-time volume copy facility for the Solaris operating environment that is administered through the iiadm(1M) com- mand. With Instant Image, you can create an independent point-in-time copy of a volume or a master volume-dependent point-in-time view. You can also independently access the master and shadow volume for read and write operations. Instant Image also lets you update the shadow volume from the master volume or restore the master volume from the shadow. (Restore operations to volumes can be full or incremental). Instant Image supports fast volume re-synchronization, letting you create a new point-in-time volume copy by updating the specified volume with only changed data. To create a shadow volume you need a: 1. Master volume to be shadowed. 2. Shadow volume where the copy will reside. This volume must be equal to or larger than the master volume. 3. Administrative bitmap volume or file for tracking differences between the shadow and master volumes. The administrative bitmap volume or file must be at least 24Kbytes in size and requires 8KBytes for each GByte (or part thereof) of master volume size, plus an additional 8KBytes overhead. For example, to shadow a 3GByte master volume, the administration volume must be 8KBytes + (3 * 8KBytes) =32KBytes in size. The Instant Image module uses services provided by the SDBC and SD_GEN modules. The SV module is required to present a conventional block device interface to the storage product interface of the Instant Image, SDBC and SD_GEN modules. When a shadow operation is suspended or resumed, the administration volumes may be stored in permanent SDBC storage or loaded and saved to and from kernel memory. The ii_bitmap variable in the /kernel/drv/ii.conf configuration file determines the administration volume storage type. A value of 0 indicates kernel memory, while a value of 1 indicates permanent SDBC storage. If the system is part of a storage prod- ucts cluster, use the 1 value (permanent storage), otherwise use kernel memory (0 value). FILES
kernel/drv/ii 32- bit ELF kernel module (x86). /kernel/drv/ii.conf Configuration file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWiu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
iiadm(1M), ioctl(2), attributes(5), sv(7D) SunOS 5.11 8 Jun 2007 ii(7D)