Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sysadmin LOGIN msgs for all users Post 27779 by DPAI on Friday 6th of September 2002 02:09:16 PM
Old 09-06-2002
news command .. ( can put in the shell startup script )
Or calendar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tracking activities of Users using a particular login.

Hi!! Experts, I have a typical scenario here in which several users have access to a particular login .. say "build". None of the users know the passwd for this login. The name of some of the user have been to .rhosts file. The users can connect only by doing a rlogin to this id and then... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
4 Replies

2. AIX

Change users login name

Hi, I need to change some users login name in AIX. With solaris i donīt had problems, i have used "usermod". But in AIX the usermod command donīt have the same behavior. Can someone give me a tip on how to perform these changes? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacewalker
9 Replies

3. Linux

Users with login privileges

Hi. I need the name for one command which I cant remember. This command displays all users which can log in to the system, wether they are stored in /etc/passwd, NIS og LDAP. Does anyone remember what command this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

last login date and time for all users

I need a command that will list all the users and their last login date & time. I was trying the last command and the who command, but can't get exactly what I need. I just need the output to be user name and last login date . Thanks for your help! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: igidttam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

users login

Hello everyone I need to send to a file the last command from all users who log in and log out by week or month. My questions are I can do it with the command or I need to do a script ? If the answer is I need to do a script, someone can help me because Im complete new to make a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
3 Replies

6. Programming

how can get users list and their login time?

i'm sorry if yesterday i posted this thread in unix for dummies forums, :D i am a newbie in C programming i want to get active users list and their login time... i have search and learn about passwd and utmp, but i only can get user list without their login time... do you have an idea... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alif
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

No users can login

Dear Forum, I had this case before, all of sudden all users including root can't login. What done is by connecting to console port and resetting root password, "pwunconv" command, reboot server. My question is, how this can happen??? thanks :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: irda
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Passwordless Login between users

Hi Gurus, Wanted to know if there is a way to enable passwordless login between specific users in a Solaris (5.9)server. I copied the public key of first user into the $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys file of the second user. But it didn't work out. Note - Am talking about users in the same... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to list users and their last login?

hi all, I'm trying to write a script to create a file with a list of all users, their gid, gecos field and their last login time e.g. fairly new to scripting, this is what I've got so far #!/bin/sh( userlist= cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '{print $1," ",$4," ",$5}' for name in $userlist... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanngo
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Disable users to direct login

Hi all, how can I disable direct login to a Solaris system not only for root user but also for other accounts? Looking in google I came to the following: For telnet (/etc/default/login): disable root access> CONSOLE=/dev/console disable generic user> ? For ssh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Evan
5 Replies
FAILLOG(8)						    System Management Commands							FAILLOG(8)

NAME
faillog - display faillog records or set login failure limits SYNOPSIS
faillog [options] DESCRIPTION
faillog displays the contents of the failure log database (/var/log/faillog). It can also set the failure counters and limits. When faillog is run without arguments, it only displays the faillog records of the users who had a login failure. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the faillog command are: -a, --all Display (or act on) faillog records for all users having an entry in the faillog database. The range of users can be restricted with the -u option. In display mode, this is still restricted to existing users but forces the display of the faillog entries even if they are empty. With the -l, -m, -r, -t options, the users' records are changed, even if the user does not exist on the system. This is useful to reset records of users that have been deleted or to set a policy in advance for a range of users. -h, --help Display help message and exit. -l, --lock-secs SEC Lock account for SEC seconds after failed login. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -m, --maximum MAX Set the maximum number of login failures after the account is disabled to MAX. Selecting a MAX value of 0 has the effect of not placing a limit on the number of failed logins. The maximum failure count should always be 0 for root to prevent a denial of services attack against the system. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -r, --reset Reset the counters of login failures. Write access to /var/log/faillog is required for this option. -t, --time DAYS Display faillog records more recent than DAYS. -u, --user LOGIN|RANGE Display faillog record or maintains failure counters and limits (if used with -l, -m or -r options) only for the specified user(s). The users can be specified by a login name, a numerical user ID, or a RANGE of users. This RANGE of users can be specified with a min and max values (UID_MIN-UID_MAX), a max value (-UID_MAX), or a min value (UID_MIN-). When none of the -l, -m, or -r options are used, faillog displays the faillog record of the specified user(s). CAVEATS
faillog only prints out users with no successful login since the last failure. To print out a user who has had a successful login since their last failure, you must explicitly request the user with the -u flag, or print out all users with the -a flag. FILES
/var/log/faillog Failure logging file. SEE ALSO
login(1), faillog(5). System Management Commands 06/24/2011 FAILLOG(8)