Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Send/Rec files via modem..
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Send/Rec files via modem.. Post 27774 by RTM on Friday 6th of September 2002 01:05:34 PM
Old 09-06-2002
The first that comes to mind is Kermit .

I haven't used it in years but it was a great utility years ago and from what I saw on the web page (case studies) it looks even better than ever.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modem - Test /dev/modem

Ok. I tried following the directions from some of the other threads, but I've hit a road block. I have red hat 7.3 and I installed the hcf package: hcfpcimodem-0.99lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.18_3-1rh.i386.rpm It installed ok, no errors, but I still can't get linux to find my modem. I've tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawadm1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting local vars from a header rec in another file?

Hey guys, We are going to be receiving files containing header information. This will be 1 line of code in each file containing the following format: 20050719hhmmsssfgr00310000537000000000000000 My question is...How can I pull parts of the header info and set it to vars in my shell. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ecupirate1998
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to reformat a file to 80 byte rec length?

I have a variable length file that needs to be reformatted to 80 byte reclen before I ftp it to a customer. What is the best way to do this? I tried using dd if=inputfile of=outputfile conv=noblock cbs=80, and it almost gives me what I need. The output file needs to be 80-byte records, and the last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmgarcia
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replacing all 4 first upper char of every rec to lowercase ?

I have a file where some records have been updated the wrong way and need to fix it quickly since the amount can be alot. Every record where any of the first 4 characters are in upper case need to be changed to lowercase. Records can have '#' in position-1 for comments. These musn't be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to generate Ctrl M at end of rec

Hello, I was wondering if someone can assist me. I have a file that I download from a mainframe to a RedHat Linux 5.5 server, the file is delimited by control underscore characters and the record is terminated by a control M (carriage return). The problem I am having is with the control M... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: app1mvf
3 Replies
FAXSTATE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       FAXSTATE(8)

NAME
faxstate - control ``modem state'' of a device used by HylaFAX SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxstate [ -q queue-dir ] [ -s state ] [ -n ] modem DESCRIPTION
faxstate sends a message to the HylaFAX faxgetty(8) process servicing modem telling it to use the specified state when notifying the HylaFAX scheduler that a modem is ready and available for use. This is useful for controlling outbound use of a modem; by marking a modem's state as busy or down the HylaFAX scheduler will not assign any outbound jobs to the modem. The specified modem can either be the name (typically the last component of the terminal port the modem is attached to), or the full name of the associated FIFO named pipe file, e.g. ``FIFO.ttym2''. If the -n option, faxstate emulates what faxgetty would do; sending a message directly to the faxq process marking the specified modem down, busy, or ready. This interface is useful for send-only environments in which faxgetty processes are not used. Note that modems manipulated in this way must previously have been configured with the faxmodem(8) program. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -n Contact faxq directly instead of faxgetty. -q dir Use a spooling area other than /var/spool/hylafax. -s Specify the state to send the faxq process each time the modem becomes ready for use; one of ``busy'', ``down'', and ``ready''. The default state to use is ready. FILES
Consult hylafax-server(5) for a complete discussion of the structure and content of the spooling area. SEE ALSO
hylafax-server(5), faxgetty(8) July 17, 1995 FAXSTATE(8)