Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Performing a non-recursive find in Unix Post 27749 by psera on Friday 6th of September 2002 06:08:43 AM
Old 09-06-2002
CPU & Memory No Problem !! Take it easyyy

Ur problem is that U had not gone the man pages of find
Please make sure U read the help pages of find .

Acctually find ->> utility recursively descends the directory
hierarchy for each path seeking files that match......
so please checkout with UNIX man pages and try it

it would fun if U could use grep or fgrep with find ....
Please try it and reply

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question: non-recursive find syntax

Hello, I am trying to search a directory for all files matching "G*" without looking in sub-directories "success" and "error". I've searched this forum and found the following syntax, but can't make it work: find . \( ! -name success -prune -name error -prune \) -type f -name "G*" Have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexkav
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

making a recursive find more useful..

Hi everyone, I'm using a recursive find (you know the type, find . -name qwert*) to find a set of files. However, because I'm new to the system and there is not much documentation about these particular files I'm trying to find them using this recursive find. I started off at the location... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spanish_tony
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify the unix processes performing high disk i/o reads and writes

I would like to write shell/perl script which identifies the top unix processes that are performing high disk I/O's or/and writes If any one knows the solution please help me? -Swamy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avsswamy
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

identify the unix process performing high disk i/o reads and writes

Guys, Is there any UNIX command that captures the 'Unix process which is performing high disk I/O reads and writes'. can you help me in this? -Swamy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avsswamy
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursive find and store

I HAVE A TEXT FILE CONTAINING THE VALUES 1.CPP 2.CPP 3.CPP 4.CPP 5.CPP 6.CPP I WANT TO TAKE EACH .CPP AND USE THE FIND COMMAND TO FIND THE LATEST VERSION OF THE FOLDER IN WHICH IT IS PRESENT. HOW DO I IMPLEMENT IT IN A WHILE LOOP I TRIED SOMETHING LIKE THIS WHILE CAT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Non recursive find command

Hi, I have question is related to find command. I want to find command should search in current folder only not recursive mode(sub-folders). I found a one way of, find . \( -name success -prune \) -o -name "Rajini*" How ever, my current folder is having lots sub-folders and am not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the latest file on Unix or Linux (recursive)

Hi all, I need to get the latest file. I have found this command "ls -lrt" that is great but not recursive. Can anyone help? Thanx by advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1or2is3
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some advice please on non-recursive find

Hi all, I am currently writing a find-and-remove kind of script that is to be used for Solaris and Linux. Currently am using the find command below that I is in find only current directory (universal) | commandlinefu.com This however gives me the "ksh: /bin/find: arg list too long" error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non Recursive Find Command

Hello Unix Gurus, I am using the following find commands: 1) find Input_Path -name '*.' -exec mv -f {} Outputpath \; 2) find Inputpath -name '*.' -exec cp {} Outputpath \; 3) find Somepath -name '*.' Now the problem is my Unix version does not support maxdepth Option for find... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive Find on file size

Is there a way to use the find command to recursively scan directories for files greater than 1Gb in size and print out the directory path and file name only? Thanks in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
6 Replies
tcl(1)							      General Commands Manual							    tcl(1)

NAME
tcl, tk, tcl-tk - Tool Command Language DESCRIPTION
The tcl software is unsupported software that is provided as part of Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will fix problems in this unsupported software only if they are specific to Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not fix problems that are integral to the software itself or that occur when the com- ponent is used on UNIX systems other than Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not add functionality to this software. Except for this reference page, other reference pages that Tru64 UNIX supplies for tcl are passed through without changes. The reference pages distributed as part of this software are available in the directories /usr/share/doclib/annex/man/man[1-9]. You should use this directory stem in the man command or add it to the MANPATH environment variable to make these files available to the man command. Note Compaq is not responsible for the content or quality of reference pages and other documents installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory and does not revise this material in response to customer problem reports. Reference pages installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex/man directory are not available from Compaq in book form; for example, they are not included in the reference manu- als that you receive when you order the Tru64 UNIX documentation set as hard copy books. Problems related to the content or quality of any documentation installed in the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory tree should be sent to the developers of the documentation. The format for changing the search path with the man command is: man -P /usr/share/doclib/annex/man [section] title... If you are using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shells, use the following command sequence to modify your environment: MANPATH=$MAN- PATH:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man export MANPATH If you are using the C shell, enter the command: setenv MANPATH `echo $MANPATH`:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man See the reference pages for the man(1) command for additional information on the search path used to locate files. The reference pages associated with this product are not included in the whatis data base created by the catman command. Therefore, the man -k and apropos commands will not locate reference pages included with this product. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), catman(8), man(1) tcl(1)