Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers find filename based on file content Post 2766 by kornshellmaven on Saturday 2nd of June 2001 10:08:37 AM
Old 06-02-2001
Hey PxT,

The /dev/null is a nice twist - I'm not sure I understand why/how this works - I would have used a -l option on the grep to list the files. But showing the file & pattern found is nice.

Can you explain what this is doing? Is the behavior related to grep or to the find?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search for hardlinks based on filename via find command

I am using command substitution into a find command in a script where I have built a menu to do a bunch of tasks within my unix account. When I choose the options for to find a file/files that have the same inode of the entered filename, ie hardlinks, nothing shows up. When I choose the appropiate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hunternjb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding filename into file content

Dear Experts, Please help to teach me how to add the filename into the file content. Actually the file name are EVENTS-20050912. ***************New output that I want*************** EVENTS-20050912 03:33:37 ALARM: BTSSPAN-277-1 30-18013 EVENTS-20050912 12:10:28 ALARM: BTSSPAN-297-2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: missutoomuch
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find and store files based on FileName and Modified Time

Hi, I am currently using the following command: files=(ls enuCPU??.????.exp ntuCPU??.????.exp) I need to now change the commmand to store the file names of files that have been modified before datetime equal to say '02/16/2008 20:30:00' What could I use? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edisonantus
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace in subdirectory (filename & content - both)

Hi, I have to rename all occurance of CUST_MST to RESELLER_MST both in filename and file content under a directory (say D0) which contains multiple (2-3 levels) sub directory. Example: D0 -> D1 -> D2 has a file CUST_MST_TEMP.txt this contains : > cat /D0/D1/D2/CUST_MST_TEMP.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabyasm
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in filename, not file content

How can I search for a string in a filename? For example, I want to know if a filename (not the file contents) contains the string "test". (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the latest file based on the date in the filename

Hi, We've a list of files that gets created on a weekly basis and it has got a date and time embedded to it. Below are the examples. I want to find out how to get the latest files get the date and time stamp out of it. Files are PQR123.PLL.M989898.201308012254.gpg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file based on pattern & return the filename if found?

Hi all, I am a newbie here. I have this requirement to find a file based on a pattern then return the filename if found. I created a script based on online tutorials. Though, I am stuck & really appreciate if anyone can have a quick look & point me to the right direction? #Script starts... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: buster_t
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find all files containing string not following symlinks CAT (modified) output content to /filename

This should recursively walk through all dirictories and search for a specified string in all present files, if found output manicured content (eg some regex) with CAT into a specified directory (eg /tmp/) one by one, keeping the original names This is what I have so far, which seems to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to prepend filename to its content without a third file?

Hello, Is possibly there a way to prepend the filename to its content without a third file? The reason is to add a header to each file contents to distinguish each other when they are pasted side-by-side. sample.txt: XLOC_001 0 XLOC_002 23 XLOC_003 4 XLOC_012 6output (with the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)