Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SMP support in Linux 7.3
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers SMP support in Linux 7.3 Post 27569 by LivinFree on Tuesday 3rd of September 2002 09:50:28 PM
Old 09-03-2002
I don't understand your question...
I would assume that it's just like any other OS that uses SMP for a single instance of the operating system (or other dedicated software)...

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

SCO unix 5.0.7 (SMP)

I have a dell machine Dell 2600 PowerEdge it has two processor (intel Xeon ). Is there a path or a software that will work with SCO unix in order to enable second processor and how would i know that the second processor is active. Thanks a lot guys . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: josramon
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Support?

If the strength of Unix based operating systems such as Linux and Red Hat are based on the fact that they are open-source. Who will provide support for personal computers or average users that uses these operating systems. Wouldn't the absence of some structured and formal support system inhibit... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
8 Replies

3. Linux Benchmarks

Dual Intel Xeon 2.4Ghz - Linux 2.4.26 SMP

System: CPU/Speed: Dual Intel Xeon 2.4Ghz Ram: 2 GB DDR 266 SDRAM Motherboard: SuperMicro X5DE8-GG Bus: 533MHz/400MHz system bus - Cache: 512KB HD Controller: EIDE Serverworks™ GC-SL Chipset Extra GCC compiler flags: -s... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

full shutdown in smp

I have installed redhat linux 9.0 on P4 HT machine. The grub boot loader shows path to smp mode and normal mode. when machine shut downs from smp version kernal , need to press the power button to power off. But in normal mode the system shut downs or power downs automatically(ie, full... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
2 Replies

5. Programming

socket close() -w- pthreads linux 2.6.18.2-34 (suse) SMP

Interesting issue. There was some discussion on the LKML last year regarding the potential problems in concurrent applications reusing file descriptors in various scenarios. The main issue is that the reuse of a file descriptor and reception of data in a threaded application can be confused pretty... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramen_noodle
1 Replies

6. High Performance Computing

MPI + Cluster SMP

Hola, he instalado mpich2 vs. 1.2.1p1 en un cluster de biprocesadores con las opciones por defecto (antes usaba ssm pero visto que se quedaba colgado, lo he dejado con nemesis). El caso es que quisiera que cada vez que lanzo un job (por ejemplo de 2 procesos), cada proceso del trabajo se fuera... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sonia_
1 Replies

7. Programming

Profiling results and SMP

The SCO OSR 5.7 system was migrated from older HP DL360 to new DL380 G7. The SMP feature was not activated on older box, it is activated now on this 4 core Xeon. A s/w we maintain has been copied without any change over to the new box. I noticed that the application profiling does not show any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
4 Replies
SMP_ZONE_ACTIVATE(8)						     SMP_UTILS						      SMP_ZONE_ACTIVATE(8)

NAME
smp_zone_activate - invoke ZONE ACTIVATE SMP function SYNOPSIS
smp_zone_activate [--expected=EX] [--help] [--hex] [--interface=PARAMS] [--raw] [--sa=SAS_ADDR] [--verbose] [--version] SMP_DEVICE[,N] DESCRIPTION
Sends a SAS Management Protocol (SMP) ZONE ACTIVATE function request to a SMP target. The SMP target is identified by the SMP_DEVICE and the --sa=SAS_ADDR. Depending on the interface, the SAS_ADDR may be deduced from the SMP_DEVICE. The mpt interface uses SMP_DEVICE to iden- tify a HBA (an SMP initiator) and needs the additional ,N to differentiate between HBAs if there are multiple present. This function, if successful, will cause various zoning related shadow values (e.g. zone permission table and zone phy information) to be copied to the corresponding current values. If the saving to "saved" values option has been selected then the various zoning related shadow values will also be copied to the corresponding saved values. OPTIONS
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options as well. -E, --expected=EX set the 'expected expander change count' field in the SMP request. The value EX is from 0 to 65535 inclusive with 0 being the default value. When EX is greater than zero then if the value doesn't match the expander change count of the SMP target (i.e. the expander) when the request arrives then the target ignores the request and sets a function result of "invalid expander change count" in the response. -h, --help output the usage message then exit. -H, --hex output the response (less the CRC field) in hexadecimal. -I, --interface=PARAMS interface specific parameters. In this case "interface" refers to the path through the operating system to the SMP initiator. See the smp_utils man page for more information. -r, --raw send the response (less the CRC field) to stdout in binary. All error messages are sent to stderr. -s, --sa=SAS_ADDR specifies the SAS address of the SMP target device. The mpt interface needs this option and it will typically be an expander's SAS address. The SAS_ADDR is in decimal but most SAS addresses are shown in hexadecimal. To give a number in hexadecimal either prefix it with '0x' or put a trailing 'h' on it. -v, --verbose increase the verbosity of the output. Can be used multiple times. -V, --version print the version string and then exit. CONFORMING TO
The SMP ZONE ACTIVATE function was introduced in SAS-2 . AUTHORS
Written by Douglas Gilbert. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <dgilbert at interlog dot com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Douglas Gilbert This software is distributed under a FreeBSD license. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUR- POSE. SEE ALSO
smp_utils, smp_zone_lock, smp_zone_unlock, smp_ena_dis_zoning(smp_utils) smp_utils-0.96 June 2011 SMP_ZONE_ACTIVATE(8)