Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Solaris 9 server hangs, when rebooting Post 27537 by Kelam_Magnus on Tuesday 3rd of September 2002 02:24:13 PM
Old 09-03-2002
shutdown not reboot from multi user...

I use HPUX so the commands may be diff, but I don't believe so.

"reboot" is only for lower levels like single user mode when most of your daemons and services are not running. Reboot doesn't go through all the proper shutdown scripts in the rc* directories for Killing services and daemons. It just goes directly to halt, don't pass go, don't collect $200... go directly to HALT...without allowing for a graceful shutdown of your system.

I believe that you should be using the "shutdown" command. Do a man:

man 1m shutdown to access the Admin manpage for shutdown command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server name + IP address removed from host table after rebooting

Hi, I have a problem with a Unix server (SCO Unix version 3.2). If this server is rebooted the own server name and it's IP address is removed from the host table. How is this possible? How can i solve this problem? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FIRE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server rebooting frequently

O/P of the uname -a Server Server 4.0 3.0 3516 Pentium IV(TM)-ISA/PCI Server is getting rebooted frequetly... I don't know what is the problem in server ... Any help why the server is getting rebooted frequetly. Can i check what is the problem like in log files (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call the ksh script when rebooting the server

Hi all, Can any one help me....... I just want to run one shell script whenever i am rebooting the server. Is there any easy way to do that???? Thanks, selva (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_Kumar
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to 'su' to other user when rebooting the server

Hi All, I have created one script with starting letter 'S' (Example: Start) and stored in the path "/etc/rc.d/". This script was called automatically when we reboot the server. In this script i am using 'su' command to switch other user but it is not working, it giving some error. su... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_Kumar
2 Replies

5. Solaris

problem in rebooting solaris server

Hi, While we rebooting solaris server ,the system going to Maintenance mode instead of login console. even we are not able to run fsck command . Thanks in advanced for help. log attached FYI Executing last command: boot Boot device: /pci@83,4000/FJSV,ulsa@2,1/disk@0,0 File and args:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: helplineinc
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Date is changed after rebooting Solaris OS.

Hi, I have set the date on solaris system , but the the date is changed after rebooting the system . I was suspecting that it could sync with ntp server , so i disabled the NTP and checked, but still whenever i reboot the system , the date that i set is getting changed, Any idea how to come out... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thavamaniraja
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris in vmware rebooting

Hello All, Solaris 10 which installed in Vmware workstation rebooting automatically and throwing the following error. Looks kernel thread issue, Need experts advice. Error: Warning: rpcmod:svc_default_stksize is set more than once in /etc/system/. "set rpcmod:svc_default_stksize =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Server Rebooting frequently

Deall All, I have facing some problem. I have a Sun 4500 Server at the customer place. Now the server is not booting mean's once the server is coming up it is automatically rebooting. As this is the critical server for the customer that is use for production . Can this be solved by... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
10 Replies

9. Red Hat

Server rebooting unexpectedly

hi, I have been working on Solaris am very new to linux. My concern is as it goes....our server is getting rebooted automatically and I am not able to understand anything from the var log messages. Could anybody help me out in troubleshooting the issue. 2.6.18-128.el5 #1 x86_64 GNU/Linux is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris on vmware rebooting itself

Hello Admins, I am facing an issue with Solaris system running/rebooting on vmware. It has VCS installed and configured. It is a 2nd node out of 3-node cluster. After long time I opened these 3 nodes to run. Rest 2 nodes are running OK. This 1 node is starting and rebooting itself. Attached... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies
HALT(8) 						Linux System Administrator's Manual						   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, reboot, poweroff - stop the system. SYNOPSIS
/sbin/halt [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-p] [-h] /sbin/reboot [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] /sbin/poweroff [-n] [-w] [-d] [-f] [-i] [-h] DESCRIPTION
halt notes that the system is being brought down in the file /var/log/wtmp, and then either tells the kernel to halt, reboot or power-off the system. If halt or reboot is called when the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6, in other words when it's running normally, shutdown will be invoked instead (with the -h or -r flag). For more info see the shutdown(8) manpage. The rest of this manpage describes the behaviour in runlevels 0 and 6, that is when the systems shutdown scripts are being run. OPTIONS
-n Don't sync before reboot or halt. Note that the kernel and storage drivers may still sync. This implies -d. -w Don't actually reboot or halt but only write the wtmp record (in the /var/log/wtmp file). -d Don't write the wtmp record. -f Force halt or reboot, don't call shutdown(8). -i Shut down all network interfaces just before halt or reboot. -h Put all hard drives on the system in stand-by mode just before halt or power-off. -p When halting the system, switch off the power. This is the default when halt is called as poweroff. DIAGNOSTICS
If you're not the superuser, you will get the message `must be superuser'. NOTES
Under older sysvinit releases , reboot and halt should never be called directly. From release 2.74 on halt and reboot invoke shutdown(8) if the system is not in runlevel 0 or 6. This means that if halt or reboot cannot find out the current runlevel (for example, when /var/run/utmp hasn't been initialized correctly) shutdown will be called, which might not be what you want. Use the -f flag if you want to do a hard halt or reboot. The -h flag puts all hard disks in standby mode just before halt or power-off. Right now this is only implemented for IDE drives. A side effect of putting the drive in stand-by mode is that the write cache on the disk is flushed. This is important for IDE drives, since the kernel doesn't flush the write cache itself before power-off. The halt program uses /proc/ide/hd* to find all IDE disk devices, which means that /proc needs to be mounted when halt or poweroff is called or the -h switch will do nothing. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8) Nov 6, 2001 HALT(8)