Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding a file in Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding a file in Unix Post 27535 by Kelam_Magnus on Tuesday 3rd of September 2002 02:10:59 PM
Old 09-03-2002
If you don't want all that junk that goes along with a find output from /, then use the 2> /dev/null.

This will send all erroneous messages that would normally come from stderr to stdout and send them to /dev/null so your screen will only show you the result you are seeking or nothing if the search had no result.

find / -name myfile 2> /dev/null

My brain is your brain....

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files in Unix

I need help with the syntax to serach a directory and all the folders in that directorys for a single pdf file. I would than like to move that file to another folder. I don't know if this is possible with one command. Please Help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnlong
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding directories in UNIX

I am accessing a UNIX server via FTP. I want to retieve a file in a directory. What is the UNIX command that I need to view and retrieve files from a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yodaddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding latest file in Unix

Hi, i want to search a file in the dir , if file exists for todays date print the message that file found or if file does not exist for todays date/ if file not found i want to display message saying that file not found. How to do this. Thx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick12
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Printer in unix

I am trying to find the list of printers(names) in the network from unix server. can anybody help me . I need the command. Thanks in advance. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijisenthil
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding files in Unix

Hi 1)How do i find files in unix that end either in .pc or .h This does not return any output find . -name "*(pc|h)" 2)I have a file like this 001123456 .. ... i want the output to be like 001-123-456 any tricks in regular expression can do this in vi. regards Hrishy (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding unix file system

Hi, I have here a hard drive from a computer that was damaged, and now the costumer needs the data on the hard drive, but doesn't have any other computer to read data. I don't really know what file system is on the disk. How can I find out what file system is on the disk so I can read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmarques
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out all users and their UNIX groups??

Is there a way to find out all users and the UNIX groups they belong to?? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding just unix user

I need to check for username that we are logged in.There are a lot of unix users and proceed according to that i.e find unix user if then echo "x" elif then echo "y' fi fi Now I dont know how to find and put user in if condition (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriki32
8 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

finding pattern without grep in unix

how can i find related pattern in a text file without using grep command in unix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feint
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding a Particular Pattern In UNIX

Hi, Suppose I have a file with many lines as follows. Now I want to find the following questions from the file through shell script or commands. My name is XYZ. XYZ works for GHT and XYZ is part of PES. GHT is a good organization. XYZ knows swimming. XYZ is also very keen in reading. XYZ is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sktkpl
2 Replies
THINK(1)						      General Commands Manual							  THINK(1)

NAME
think - you don't have to think, the computer can think for you SYNOPSIS
think [ -detach ] DESCRIPTION
Think simulates a thinking brain. This can be useful if someone is not wanting to think at invocation time or if someone is needing some thinking about something. It can also be helpful if someone's brain is not working correctly at invocation time. When invoked, think will go ahead and look at all of the commands and keystrokes that a user has made during the current login session. Think will then look at what files the user has. From this and what level the user is listed at in the file /usr/lib/think, think will figure out what the user was trying to do when think was invoked. DEVICES
The process that think uses to help a user is greatly aided if the user is wearing a brain interface bus (bib) device. A bib device is normally worn on the head, and if being used, then think will try to see what was going through the users head at the time of invocation. After think does this, it will send electric signals to the users brain, causing the user to type in whatever keystrokes are necessary to accomplish the task that he/she doesn't want to think about. OPTIONS
-detach also known as "Must mother do all of your thinking for you?"-mode. This options causes think to run in the background as a daemon that watches for users who look like they may need assistance. When a user is found to be exercising cluelessness, think will lock up their keyboard and will proceed to execute what seems to be the most likely sequence of commands that the user had intended to execute. This flag may only be used by the super-user. FILES
/dev/brain bib device special file. /usr/lib/think file to indicate various user abilities. The format of this file is a username on each line followed by some whitspace and then a number. The higher the number for a given user, the more likely think is to assume that that user knows what he/she is doing. Unfortunately, what think considers a large number will vary with usage. BUGS
If a user is using a bib device and actually lacks a brain of their own, then there is a high risk that think will take over their (non- existent) minds. This has the upshot that someone other than the user will have to stop the program. (Perhaps this is a feature.) It may illegal in some areas to force users to wear bib devices. AUTHOR
This man page was written by John Guthrie <guthrie@math.upenn.edu> with suggestions from Kevin Whyte <kwhyte@math.upenn.edu> for the alt.sysadmin.recovery man page collection. think version 1.0 April 5, 1996 THINK(1)