Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Solaris 9 server hangs, when rebooting Post 27531 by smohd on Tuesday 3rd of September 2002 10:55:08 AM
Old 09-03-2002
Thanks hassan2.
It did fix the problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Server name + IP address removed from host table after rebooting

Hi, I have a problem with a Unix server (SCO Unix version 3.2). If this server is rebooted the own server name and it's IP address is removed from the host table. How is this possible? How can i solve this problem? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FIRE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Server rebooting frequently

O/P of the uname -a Server Server 4.0 3.0 3516 Pentium IV(TM)-ISA/PCI Server is getting rebooted frequetly... I don't know what is the problem in server ... Any help why the server is getting rebooted frequetly. Can i check what is the problem like in log files (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to call the ksh script when rebooting the server

Hi all, Can any one help me....... I just want to run one shell script whenever i am rebooting the server. Is there any easy way to do that???? Thanks, selva (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_Kumar
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to 'su' to other user when rebooting the server

Hi All, I have created one script with starting letter 'S' (Example: Start) and stored in the path "/etc/rc.d/". This script was called automatically when we reboot the server. In this script i am using 'su' command to switch other user but it is not working, it giving some error. su... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_Kumar
2 Replies

5. Solaris

problem in rebooting solaris server

Hi, While we rebooting solaris server ,the system going to Maintenance mode instead of login console. even we are not able to run fsck command . Thanks in advanced for help. log attached FYI Executing last command: boot Boot device: /pci@83,4000/FJSV,ulsa@2,1/disk@0,0 File and args:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: helplineinc
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Date is changed after rebooting Solaris OS.

Hi, I have set the date on solaris system , but the the date is changed after rebooting the system . I was suspecting that it could sync with ntp server , so i disabled the NTP and checked, but still whenever i reboot the system , the date that i set is getting changed, Any idea how to come out... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thavamaniraja
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris in vmware rebooting

Hello All, Solaris 10 which installed in Vmware workstation rebooting automatically and throwing the following error. Looks kernel thread issue, Need experts advice. Error: Warning: rpcmod:svc_default_stksize is set more than once in /etc/system/. "set rpcmod:svc_default_stksize =... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowthamakanthan
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Server Rebooting frequently

Deall All, I have facing some problem. I have a Sun 4500 Server at the customer place. Now the server is not booting mean's once the server is coming up it is automatically rebooting. As this is the critical server for the customer that is use for production . Can this be solved by... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
10 Replies

9. Red Hat

Server rebooting unexpectedly

hi, I have been working on Solaris am very new to linux. My concern is as it goes....our server is getting rebooted automatically and I am not able to understand anything from the var log messages. Could anybody help me out in troubleshooting the issue. 2.6.18-128.el5 #1 x86_64 GNU/Linux is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris on vmware rebooting itself

Hello Admins, I am facing an issue with Solaris system running/rebooting on vmware. It has VCS installed and configured. It is a 2nd node out of 3-node cluster. After long time I opened these 3 nodes to run. Rest 2 nodes are running OK. This 1 node is starting and rebooting itself. Attached... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies
REBOOT(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot - stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
/sbin/reboot [ -lqnhdarsfRD ] /sbin/halt [ -lqndars ] /sbin/fastboot [ -lqndarsRD ] DESCRIPTION
2.11BSD is started by placing it in memory at location zero and transferring to its entry point. Since the system is not reentrant, it is necessary to read it in from disk or tape each time it is to be boot strapped. Rebooting a running system: When the system is running and a reboot is desired, shutdown(8) is normally used to stop time sharing and put the system into single user mode. If there are no users then /sbin/reboot can be used without shutting the system down first. Reboot normally causes the disks to be synced and allows the system to perform other shutdown activities such as resynchronizing hardware time-of-day clocks. A multi-user reboot (as described below) is then initiated. This causes a system to be booted and an automatic disk check to be performed. If all this succeeds without incident, the system is then brought up for multi-user operation. Options to reboot are: -l Don't try to tell syslogd(8) what's about to happen. -q Reboot quickly and ungracefully, without shutting down running processes first. -n Don't sync before rebooting. This can be used if a disk or the processor is on fire. -h Don't reboot, simply halt the processor. -d Dump memory onto the dump device, usually part of swap, before rebooting. The dump is done in the same way as after a panic. -a Have the system booter ask for the name of the system to be booted, rather than immediately booting the default system (/unix). -r Mount the root file system as read only when the system reboots. This is not supported by the kernel in 2.11BSD. -s Don't enter multi-user mode after system has rebooted - stay in single user mode. -f Fast reboot. Omit the automatic file system consistency check when the system reboots and goes multi-user. This is accomplished by passing a fast reboot flag on to the rebooting kernel. This currently prevents the use of -f flag in conjunction with the -h (halt) flag. -D Set the autoconfig(8) debug flag. This is normally not used unless one is debugging the autoconfig program. -R Tells the kernel to use the compiled in root device. Normally the system uses the device from which it was booted as the root/swap/pipe/dump device. Reboot normally places a shutdown record in the login accounting file /usr/adm/wtmp. This is inhibited if the -q or -n options are present. Note that the -f (fast reboot) and -n (don't sync) options are contradictory; the request for a fast reboot is ignored in this case. Halt and fastboot are synonymous with ``reboot -h'' and ``reboot -f'', respectively. Power fail and crash recovery: Normally, the system will reboot itself at power-up or after crashes if the contents of low memory are intact. An automatic consistency check of the file systems will be performed, and unless this fails, the system will resume multi-user operations. SEE ALSO
autoconfig(8), sync(2), utmp(8), shutdown(8), syslogd(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 24, 1996 REBOOT(8)