Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: command
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users command Post 27529 by auswipe on Tuesday 3rd of September 2002 10:49:45 AM
Old 09-03-2002
Re: tar works fine for me

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelam_Magnus

CAVEAT!!!!!
However, you will need to make sure user groups are also present and make sure that all user permissions and ownership are the same when you tar them up. I don't think I had any problem with this on my system.
Don't forget about those systems that use /etc/shadow for storing the encrypted passwords (if they are not kept in /etc/passwd).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

inconsistent ls command display at the command prompt & running as a cron job

Sir, I using the following commands in a file (part of a bigger script): #!/bin/bash cd /opt/oracle/bin ls -lt | tail -1 | awk '{print $6}' >> /tmp/ramb.out If I run this from the command prompt the result is: 2007-05-16 if I run it as a cron job then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajranibl
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a command line argument and a unix command to awk variables

Hi , I have a piece of code ...wherein I need to assign the following ... 1) A command line argument to a variable e.g origCount=ARGV 2) A unix command to a variable e.g result=`wc -l testFile.txt` in my awk shell script When I do this : print "origCount" origCount --> I get the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweta_doshi
0 Replies

3. AIX

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6

AIX:Command to get netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 Can anybody help us with a command to retrieve netaddress/subnet address command in IPv4/IP6 on aix machine. net/subnet address is in the format 172.16.212.0(signifies all 255 machines in an IPv4 network) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie8278
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix command : how to insert text at the cursor location via command line?

Hi, Well my title isn't very clear I think. So to understand my goal: I have a script "test1" #!/bin/bash xvkbd -text blabla with xbindkeys, I bind F5 key in order it runs my test1 script So when I press F5, test1 runs. I'm under Emacs/Vi and I press F5 in order to have "blabla" be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing command output from one command to the next command in cshell

HI Guys, I hope you are well. I am trying to write a script that gets executed every time i open a shell (cshell). I have two questions about that 1) I need to enter these commands $ echo $DISPLAY $ setenv $DISPLAY output_of_echo_$display_command How can i write a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple command execution inside awk command during xml parsing

below is the output xml string from some other command and i will be parsing it using awk cat /tmp/alerts.xml <Alert id="10102" name="APP-DS-ds_ha-140018-componentFailure-S" alertDefinitionId="13982" resourceId="11427" ctime="1359453507621" fixed="false" reason="If Event/Log Level(ANY) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

9. AIX

I'm facing problem with rpm command, when running the command and appears this error:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program /usr/opt/freeware/bin/rpm because of the following errors: 0509-022 Cannot load module /opt/freeware/lib/libintl.a(libintl.so.1). 0509-150 Dependent module /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a(shr4.o) could not be loaded. 0509-152 Member... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohmkar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Another one line command where I'd like to determine if Ubuntu or Red Hat when running command

Hello Forum, I'm making very good progress on my report thanks to the very helpful people on this forum. I've been able to successfully create my report for my Red Hat servers. But I do have a few ubuntu servers in the mix and I'd like to capture some data from them when an ssh connection is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: greavette
8 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
hosts.equiv - list of hosts and users that are granted "trusted" r command access to your system DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/hosts.equiv allows or denies hosts and users to use the r-commands (e.g., rlogin, rsh, or rcp) without supplying a password. The file uses the following format: +|[-]hostname|+@netgroup|-@netgroup [+|[-]username|+@netgroup|-@netgroup] The hostname is the name of a host which is logically equivalent to the local host. Users logged into that host are allowed to access like-named user accounts on the local host without supplying a password. The hostname may be (optionally) preceded by a plus (+) sign. If the plus sign is used alone, it allows any host to access your system. You can explicitly deny access to a host by preceding the hostname by a minus (-) sign. Users from that host must always supply additional credentials, including possibly a password. For security reasons you should always use the FQDN of the hostname and not the short hostname. The username entry grants a specific user access to all user accounts (except root) without supplying a password. That means the user is NOT restricted to like-named accounts. The username may be (optionally) preceded by a plus (+) sign. You can also explicitly deny access to a specific user by preceding the username with a minus (-) sign. This says that the user is not trusted no matter what other entries for that host exist. Netgroups can be specified by preceding the netgroup by an @ sign. Be extremely careful when using the plus (+) sign. A simple typographical error could result in a standalone plus sign. A standalone plus sign is a wildcard character that means "any host"! FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv NOTES
Some systems will honor the contents of this file only when it has owner root and no write permission for anybody else. Some exceptionally paranoid systems even require that there be no other hard links to the file. Modern systems use the Pluggable Authentication Modules library (PAM). With PAM a standalone plus sign is considered a wildcard character which means "any host" only when the word promiscuous is added to the auth component line in your PAM file for the particular service (e.g., rlogin). EXAMPLE
Below are some example /etc/host.equiv or ~/.rhosts files. Allow any user to log in from any host: + Allow any user from host with a matching local account to log in: host Note: the use of +host is never a valid syntax, including attempting to specify that any user from the host is allowed. Allow any user from host to log in: host + Note: this is distinct from the previous example since it does not require a matching local account. Allow user from host to log in as any non-root user: host user Allow all users with matching local accounts from host to log in except for baduser: host -baduser host Deny all users from host: -host Note: the use of -host -user is never a valid syntax, including attempting to specify that a particular user from the host is not trusted. Allow all users with matching local accounts on all hosts in a netgroup: +@netgroup Disallow all users on all hosts in a netgroup: -@netgroup Allow all users in a netgroup to log in from host as any non-root user: host +@netgroup Allow all users with matching local accounts on all hosts in a netgroup except baduser: +@netgroup -baduser +@netgroup Note: the deny statements must always precede the allow statements because the file is processed sequentially until the first matching rule is found. SEE ALSO
rhosts(5), rlogind(8), rshd(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-07-23 HOSTS.EQUIV(5)