Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding a file in Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers finding a file in Unix Post 27503 by peter.herlihy on Monday 2nd of September 2002 11:55:37 PM
Old 09-03-2002
The man page will explain the difference between "find ." and "find /"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files in Unix

I need help with the syntax to serach a directory and all the folders in that directorys for a single pdf file. I would than like to move that file to another folder. I don't know if this is possible with one command. Please Help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnlong
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding directories in UNIX

I am accessing a UNIX server via FTP. I want to retieve a file in a directory. What is the UNIX command that I need to view and retrieve files from a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yodaddy
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding latest file in Unix

Hi, i want to search a file in the dir , if file exists for todays date print the message that file found or if file does not exist for todays date/ if file not found i want to display message saying that file not found. How to do this. Thx for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nick12
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Printer in unix

I am trying to find the list of printers(names) in the network from unix server. can anybody help me . I need the command. Thanks in advance. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijisenthil
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding files in Unix

Hi 1)How do i find files in unix that end either in .pc or .h This does not return any output find . -name "*(pc|h)" 2)I have a file like this 001123456 .. ... i want the output to be like 001-123-456 any tricks in regular expression can do this in vi. regards Hrishy (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding unix file system

Hi, I have here a hard drive from a computer that was damaged, and now the costumer needs the data on the hard drive, but doesn't have any other computer to read data. I don't really know what file system is on the disk. How can I find out what file system is on the disk so I can read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmarques
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding out all users and their UNIX groups??

Is there a way to find out all users and the UNIX groups they belong to?? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding just unix user

I need to check for username that we are logged in.There are a lot of unix users and proceed according to that i.e find unix user if then echo "x" elif then echo "y' fi fi Now I dont know how to find and put user in if condition (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriki32
8 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

finding pattern without grep in unix

how can i find related pattern in a text file without using grep command in unix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feint
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding a Particular Pattern In UNIX

Hi, Suppose I have a file with many lines as follows. Now I want to find the following questions from the file through shell script or commands. My name is XYZ. XYZ works for GHT and XYZ is part of PES. GHT is a good organization. XYZ knows swimming. XYZ is also very keen in reading. XYZ is a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sktkpl
2 Replies
hal-find(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      hal-find(1M)

NAME
hal-find, hal-find-by-capability, hal-find-by-property - search HAL global device list SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-capability --capability capability [--help] [--verbose] [--version] hal-find-by-property --key key --string value [--help] [--verbose] [--version] DESCRIPTION
The hal-find commands, hal-find-by-capability and hal-find-by-property, search the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) device list by speci- fied criteria and displays results on the standard output. hal-find-by-capability searches by capability, such as volume or block. hal- find-by-property searches by property, such as block.is_volume or volume.disc.has_audio. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --capability capability HAL device capability to search for. --help Display list of options. --key key The key to the property that is the basis of the search. --string value The string value associated with the property that is the basis of the search. --verbose Verbose mode. --version Display version and exit. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWhalr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
hald(1M), attributes(5), hal(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Aug 2006 hal-find(1M)