Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FTP v's SFTP
Special Forums Cybersecurity FTP v's SFTP Post 27477 by nhatch on Monday 2nd of September 2002 06:25:25 AM
Old 09-02-2002
FTP v's SFTP

Hi,

I'm being told that I have to start using SFTP from my server (HPUX 11i), so heres a few questions;

What are the differences between FTP and SFTP? What differences in congiuration can I expect? Are there any changes in command usage? I did see an earlier thread with command issues. A few questions but google searches didn't bring anything of use.

Can you send data via SFTP and have recieved by a server only using FTP? maybe a dumb question...but I don't know?

Cheers and beers,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to subtract 2 hours from 'date' in shell ( /bin/sh ) script ?

I write a sh script that zip and copy to tape all files that older then 2 hours. 1. The way I choose is - touch a file with "now - 2 hours", then use fine with '! -newer' 2. Do you have any other idea to do it ? tnx. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yairon
1 Replies

2. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Ftp'ing thru a Iptables NAT Masquerade

Greetings to all. My new firewall is giving me one hell of a problem. I'm running iptables and masquerading my intranet thru NAT. But here is the problem. Whenever I try to FTP to a server outside of my lan I get a 500 illegal port error. I've come to the conclusion that NAT is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phrater
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It becomes a large file in a short time. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix ISO's for FTP, I've searched the other Posts

Where Do I download Unix ISO's for free? I have searched this database for other related posts, but to no avail. All I need is this info, and I don't want Linux; just a Unix site. Please and thank you for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: killrazor
3 Replies

8. Email Antispam Techniques and Email Filtering

Procmail recipe: blocking 'unsubscribe and opt-out' messages....

Here is a crude procmail recipe that I quickly created (NOT a procmail recipe expert, btw) that has been catching lots of spam (current second after the charset_spam recipe posted earlier): :0B * .*If.you.do.not.wish.to.receive...* more_spam :0B * You.requested.to.receive.this.mailing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies
libssh2_sftp_init(3)						  libssh2 manual					      libssh2_sftp_init(3)

NAME
libssh2_sftp_init - open SFTP channel for the given SSH session. SYNOPSIS
#include <libssh2.h> #include <libssh2_sftp.h> LIBSSH2_SFTP * libssh2_sftp_init(LIBSSH2_SESSION *session); DESCRIPTION
session - Session instance as returned by libssh2_session_init_ex(3) Open a channel and initialize the SFTP subsystem. Although the SFTP subsystem operates over the same type of channel as those exported by the Channel API, the protocol itself implements its own unique binary packet protocol which must be managed with the libssh2_sftp_*() fam- ily of functions. When an SFTP session is complete, it must be destroyed using the libssh2_sftp_shutdown(3) function. RETURN VALUE
A pointer to the newly allocated SFTP instance or NULL on failure. ERRORS
LIBSSH2_ERROR_ALLOC - An internal memory allocation call failed. LIBSSH2_ERROR_SOCKET_SEND - Unable to send data on socket. LIBSSH2_ERROR_SOCKET_TIMEOUT - LIBSSH2_ERROR_SFTP_PROTOCOL - An invalid SFTP protocol response was received on the socket, or an SFTP operation caused an errorcode to be returned by the server. LIBSSH2_ERROR_EAGAIN - Marked for non-blocking I/O but the call would block. SEE ALSO
libssh2_sftp_shutdown(3) libssh2_sftp_open_ex(3) libssh2 0.15 1 Jun 2007 libssh2_sftp_init(3)