Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deleting 100k log files quickly Post 27288 by oombera on Thursday 29th of August 2002 01:29:16 PM
Old 08-29-2002
Okay, now that I've read your post and thought about it, that makes complete sense. Usually, you don't even think about the overhead in reading a directory, finding the correct file, etc. when removing files.

Then again, I have wondered why deleting one 100MB file in Windows is alot faster than deleting a hundred files that are each much smaller than a meg... same principle I'm sure.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting log files only in particular directories

Hi My problem is i have to remove some log files in specific named directories on a regular basis using shell scripts. What i want my shell script to do is i give the shell script some listing of directories from which to delete all log files recursively. Can anyone please help me. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameervs
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

command for deleting log files based on some condition

Hello, Can anyone pls. provide me with the command for deleting files older then 15 days with a restriction to keep at least 5 files in a directory even if they are older then 15 days. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks, Pulkit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulkit
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need solution for this quickly. please quickly.

Write a nawk script that will produce the following report: ***FIRST QUARTERLY REPORT*** ***CAMPAIGN 2004 CONTRIBUTIONS*** ------------------------------------------------------------------------- NAME PHONE Jan | ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.palakj.shah
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kron Shell: deleting all but most recent log files

I am trying to create a Korn Shell script to be run every 5-10 minute from a crontab. This script needs to look for log files (transaction_<date>.log). If there are more than 5 such files, it needs to delete all but the most current 5. How often these files are create varies - can be every minute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WmShaw
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving 100K file to another folder using 1 command

Hi, I need to move 1000s of files from one folder to another. Actually there are 100K+ files. Source dir : source1 Target dir : target1 Now if try cp or mv commands I am getting an error message : Argument List too long. I tried to do it by the time the files are created in the source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unx100
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to delete large set of files (i.e) close to 100K from a directory based on the input file

Hi all, I need a script to delete a large set of files from a directory under / based on an input file and want to redirect errors into separate file. I have already prepared a list of files in the input file. Kndly help me. Thanks, Prash (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
36 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting folder more than 100K size

Hi , I am trying to get the folder details having size more than sme specified value and also the name of the folder should be like TEST. so 1. In the current directory search for all the folders having name like TEST 2. Print the list of the folder names having size more than 100... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
3 Replies

8. Solaris

ZFS does not release space even after deleting application log files in a non-global zone

Hi Guys, I have a non-global zone in which has apache application on it. There is a ZFS filesystem where the app saves the log. Even after deleting the logfiles I dont see the space being freed up. There are no snapshots or anything at all Zpool info NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP HEALTH ALTROOT... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDX
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting dated log files whihc are older than an year

Hi. There is a process which creates log files in the below naming format processname.20140425.log processname1.20140425.log And in this path along with these logs there are other files which have the timestamp from 2012 and i want to have a script in place to delete only the above log files... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanz143
13 Replies
TMPWATCH(8)                                                System Administrator's Manual                                               TMPWATCH(8)

NAME
tmpwatch - removes files which haven't been accessed for a period of time SYNOPSIS
tmpwatch [-u|-m|-c] [-MUadfqstvx] [--verbose] [--force] [--all] [--nodirs] [--nosymlinks] [--test] [--fuser] [--quiet] [--atime|--mtime|--ctime] [--dirmtime] [--exclude path] [--exclude-user user] time dirs DESCRIPTION
tmpwatch recursively removes files which haven't been accessed for a given time. Normally, it's used to clean up directories which are used for temporary holding space such as /tmp. When changing directories, tmpwatch is very sensitive to possible race conditions and will exit with an error if one is detected. It does not follow symbolic links in the directories it's cleaning (even if a symbolic link is given as its argument), will not switch filesystems, skips lost+found directories owned by the root user, and only removes empty directories, regular files, and symbolic links. By default, tmpwatch dates files by their atime (access time), not their mtime (modification time). If files aren't being removed when ls -l implies they should be, use ls -u to examine their atime to see if that explains the problem. If the --atime, --ctime or --mtime options are used in combination, the decision about deleting a file will be based on the maximum of these times. The --dirmtime option implies ignoring atime of directories, even if the --atime option is used. The time parameter defines the threshold for removing files. If the file has not been accessed for time, the file is removed. The time argument is a number with an optional single-character suffix specifying the units: h for hours, d for days. If no suffix is specified, time is in hours. Following this, one or more directories may be given for tmpwatch to clean up. OPTIONS
-u, --atime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's atime (access time). This is the default. Note that the periodic updatedb file system scans keep the atime of directories recent. -m, --mtime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's mtime (modification time) instead of the atime. -c, --ctime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's ctime (inode change time) instead of the atime; for directories, make the decision based on the mtime. -M, --dirmtime Make the decision about deleting a directory based on the directory's mtime (modification time) instead of the atime; completely ignore atime for directories. -a, --all Remove all file types, not just regular files, symbolic links and directories. -d, --nodirs Do not attempt to remove directories, even if they are empty. -f, --force Remove files even if root doesn't have write access (akin to rm -f). -l, --nosymlinks Do not attempt to remove symbolic links. -q, --quiet Report only fatal errors. -s, --fuser Attempt to use the "fuser" command to see if a file is already open before removing it. Not enabled by default. Does help in some circumstances, but not all. Dependent on fuser being installed in /sbin. Not supported on HP-UX or Solaris. -t, --test Don't remove files, but go through the motions of removing them. This implies -v. -U, --exclude-user=user Don't remove files owned by user, which can be an user name or numeric user ID. -v, --verbose Print a verbose display. Two levels of verboseness are available -- use this option twice to get the most verbose output. -x, --exclude=path Skip path; if path is a directory, all files contained in it are skipped too. If path does not exist, it must be an absolute path that contains no symbolic links. SEE ALSO
cron(1), ls(1), rm(1), fuser(1) WARNINGS
GNU-style long options are not supported on HP-UX. AUTHORS
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> Miloslav Trmac <mitr@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Fri Dec 14 2007 TMPWATCH(8)