Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dpower
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers dpower Post 27185 by RTM on Wednesday 28th of August 2002 12:03:19 PM
Old 08-28-2002
If you don't know, use the default (auto layout). There are too many things involved to give you a size for everything.

Swap should be twice the size of memory (rule of thumb)

If you are using it as a workstation - default is fine
If you are adding applications such as mailserver, ftp server, web server....each requires different things. Let's say you are setting up a mailserver using Sendmail. Your /var/spool/mqueue should be it's own partition so if you start getting hit hard with spam it won't fill your /var or / partition. Same type of scenerio with ftp (just a different directory).

Solaris should give you minimum and/or recommended sizes of the partitions but it doesn't know what you are using it for either.

ARTSATA(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						ARTSATA(4)

NAME
artsata -- Intel i31244 Serial ATA disk controller driver SYNOPSIS
artsata* at pci? dev ? function ? flags 0x0000 options PCIIDE_I31244_DISABLEDMA DESCRIPTION
The artsata driver supports the Intel i31244 Serial ATA and controllers, and provides the interface with the hardware for the ata(4) driver. The 0x0002 flag forces the artsata driver to disable DMA on chipsets for which DMA would normally be enabled. This can be used as a debug- ging aid, or to work around problems where the SATA controller is wired up to the system incorrectly. SEE ALSO
ata(4), atapi(4), intro(4), pci(4), pciide(4), wd(4), wdc(4) BUGS
Early samples of the Intel i31244 Serial ATA controller revision 0 had a bug affecting DMA data transfers. Full production samples have been fixed, but have the same revision number. The PCIIDE_I31244_DISABLEDMA option can be used to disable DMA on the buggy revisions. BSD
February 12, 2005 BSD