Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Encryption and Decryption in UNIX. Post 27055 by Perderabo on Tuesday 27th of August 2002 01:45:10 PM
Old 08-27-2002
To decrypt, the input must the encrypted file. You are just running the encyption step twice.

crypt < plain > encrypted ## encrypt file
crypt < encrypted ## view the file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Password encryption/decryption in flat-text files

Dear all, If anyone has some ideas for me how to tackle the following situation: Imagine a type of client-server application. The client application is started by a human operator with all the necessary LDAP/Kerberos in place. The server application is started automatically as a daemon process.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: domivv
2 Replies

2. Solaris

PGP encryption/decryption solaris 9

Hi Someone is going to send me a file that they have encrypted by PGP encryption on windows pc to my solaris 9 server. They will give me the pgp key to decrypt the file. How can I do this on solaris 9 Is there a tool installed by default to decrypt or do I need to install something to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
0 Replies

3. AIX

unix file encryption

Is there a way to encrypt a flat file or a database file so it can be ftp or sftp to a remote windows system? this is for solaris/AIX etc. or is there a 3 party sw that can be used? i know in AIX6 this can be done but we are on AIX 5.3.x and 5.2.x (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: admaix
6 Replies

4. Solaris

encryption & decryption functions in sun solaries

hi, is there any library functions available in sun solaries for encryption and decryption functions. regards suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_rtp
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Identify a file for encryption or decryption

Dear Members, Can we find if a particular file is encrypted or decrypted. I need a command by which i should be able to identify if a file is encrypted or decrypted. How can we do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

decryption of .cpt file in unix

can some one help me how to decrypt a .txt.cpt file in unix i Double post (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lily
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String encryption and decryption

Hello All, There are so many questions on this and I didn't find any concluded answer. I want to encrypt a string in the script, actually this is a password. I tried using openssl (I am a newbie to openssl), but it is generating a long one which we can't remember. I want to encrypt the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
5 Replies

8. Ubuntu

help regarding encryption and decryption of files on linux

we are to develope a project on linux whose aim is to automatically encrypt files after logoff and to decrypt them using password after log in this is to be made by chging source code of linux ........... can any one help me on this???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vyom
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

auto encryption and decryption of files during log in and log off

we r to develope a project which involves automatic encryption of all the text files user was working upon during logg off and to decrypt them during log on this is to be done by writing a shell script can anyone help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vyom
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gpg (GnuPG) encryption and decryption

Hi Friends, There are some 7 years script in out linux server. I am trying to understand them since Linux Server changed(A). Below line in one of the encrypting script. Here scenario is encrypting bank files in our (A) server and doing Secure Copy to Server (B). GPG -v --batch --yes --armor... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnsnow
1 Replies
crypt(3C)																 crypt(3C)

NAME
crypt - generate hashing encryption SYNOPSIS
Obsolescent Interfaces DESCRIPTION
crypt(): is the password encryption function. It is based on a one way hashing encryption algorithm with variations intended (among other things) to frustrate use of hardware implementations of a key search. key is a user's typed password. salt is a two-character string chosen from the set this string is used to perturb the hashing algorithm in one of 4096 different ways, after which the password is used as the key to encrypt repeatedly a constant string. The returned value points to the encrypted password. The first two characters are the salt itself. Obsolescent Interfaces generate hashing encryption. WARNINGS
The return value for points to data whose content is overwritten by each call. and are obsolescent interfaces supported only for compatibility with existing DCE applications. New multithreaded applications should use SEE ALSO
crypt(1), login(1), passwd(1), getpass(3C), passwd(4), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
crypt(3C)