Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FREEBSD to SLACKWARE COnversion Post 26968 by cerberusofhate on Monday 26th of August 2002 04:02:20 PM
Old 08-26-2002
yes, for ATA disks, the device entry is /dev/hdxa where x is alpha (a-h for four controllers, a-d for two controllers), and where a is a number. For instance, first partition on first HDD on master would be:
/dev/hda1
etc, etc.
cerberusofhate

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

2. Slackware

Help for choosing Slackware

Dear Friends, If I use Slackware for learning whether it will make any confusion in administering/using Redhat and SuSE since I have checked slackware is more like BSD. Thank you. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tlogine
4 Replies

3. Slackware

Slackware

I want to know more about the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware, i know already the Concurrency but i want to know further what else is the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware. :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green12
1 Replies

4. Slackware

Slackware 13.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie in operating systems. so far I've been playing with Ubuntu and I like it a lot. I heard about Slackware and I wanna try it. Last night I download the iso but It didn't fit in my usb or Dvd. it is a 4.2 GB. Is there one less than 4.2GB that will fit in my usb or DVD? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: openation1
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiboot problem with Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD 11 & Solaris 10

I want to install Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD and Solaris 10 on a p4 machine but multiboot is not working as lilo overwrites grub and btx boot loader can't detect others. I had to boot slackware and Solaris with the installation disc for a good number of times. I installed all boot loaders on MBR. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiboot problem with Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD 11 & Solaris 10

I want to install Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD and Solaris 10 on a p4 machine but multiboot is not working as lilo overwrites grub and btx boot loader can't detect others. I had to boot slackware and Solaris with the installation disc for a good number of times. I installed all boot loaders on MBR. The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harveyclayton
3 Replies
atapi_ide(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					      atapi_ide(7)

NAME
atapi_ide - Interface for ATAPI or IDE (PC) devices SYNOPSIS
PCI bus CMD/Acer ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata0 slot 1 PCI bus Cypress ATAPI/IDE adapter: bus pci0 at * bus ata0 at * bus ata1 at * controller scsi0 at ata0 slot 0 controller scsi1 at ata1 slot 0 PCMCIA bus ATA/IDE disk card: bus pcmcia0 at * bus ata0 at pcmcia? controller scsi0 at ata0 DESCRIPTION
Devices commonly known for their use on PC devices as ATA or IDE devices are supported using the SCSI CAM device driver. The ATA standard has also been expanded to include what are known as ATAPI devices. The SCSI CAM device driver is also used for those disks and CD-ROM devices. These devices may also be known under the names EIDE, ATA-2, Fast-ATA, or Ultra-ATA. Beacuse the ATA/IDE standard was not developed until after many of the devices that used this standard were produced, there are many devices which do not strictly comply with the standard. While it is possible some industry standard devices may appear to work, it is also possible they will cause hang or data corruption cases when used under more stressful situations. For this reason, it is recommended that only the supported devices be used. These devices have been tested and are certified for correct operation. ATAPI/IDE controllers allow the connection of two devices. These two devices are known as the master device and the slave device. If only one device is connected, that device must be the master (slave-only configurations are not supported). When used by the SCSI CAM device driver, the IDE master device is assigned SCSI id 0 for that controller. The slave device is assigned SCSI id 1 for that controller. No other SCSI ids are assigned on that controller. Most ATAPI/IDE adapters contain two channels (known as the primary and secondary). Each of these channels may contain their own master and slave devices. Therefore, a dual channel ATAPI/IDE controller may contain up to 4 devices (a master and slave pair on each channel). These 4 devices are then accessed as SCSI id 0 and 1 on each channel. Many SCSI operations translate perfectly for use on IDE. For example, read and write operations are the same. However, many SCSI disk mode pages are emulated by the IDE device driver. For example, you can display the SCSI inquiry mode pages using the following command: % scu show inq pages pages are created by the device driver to contain the long (full IDE) form of the device name, serial number, revision, and the operational modes of the device. Only a shortened version of this information is available with the standard SCSI inquiry command. Note also that the following command: % scu show pages Shows that the SCSI mode pages contain only partial information. Only that informa- tion (such as geometry) that the drive reports to the system is able to be reformatted into these emulated SCSI mode pages. Much of the information (such as RPM) is simply not available from the drive, and therefore not accurately reported. ATAPI devices are much more closely related to SCSI devices, and as such contain their own mode pages. Therefore, for these devices, the mode page values reported are those from the device, and no emulation is involved. ATAPI tape devices are not supported at this time. FILES
/dev/disk/dsk??? /dev/disk/dsk??? RELATED INFORMATION
SCSI(7), rz(7), and disklabel(8) delim off atapi_ide(7)