Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar expanding trouble
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar expanding trouble Post 26952 by TAT2ME74 on Monday 26th of August 2002 02:00:01 PM
Old 08-26-2002
Data tar expanding trouble

Hello,

I have just download a .tar.gz
when I run:
$tar x *.tar.gz
or even
$tar z *.tar.gz

this is the error I get
tar: can't open /dev/sa0 : Device not configured

How do I reconfigure the device so that it expands the file in it's current location?

Thanks so much for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expanding shell variable

I have a question about expanding shell variables. Given the following piece of script: a="Some text" b="Other text" for i in a b do string1=$i echo $string1 --> returns 'a' string2=EXPRESSION_WITH_$i echo $string2 --> returns 'Some text' done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lonar
2 Replies

2. AIX

expanding the size of vg

Hi, I have created the lun of 15gb and assigned to aix,but now I want to expand the size of lun 15gb to 30gb, I am having following queries. 1)wheather i have to umount that partition on aix side before increasing the size of lun on storage side or directly I can increase directly size... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Expanding variables with Ed Bash 3.2.33

Hi, The following code finds the line containing fruits in test.txt and replaces instances of apple with banana. ed -s test.txt <<< $'/fruits/s/apple/banana/g\nw' What I want to do is put variables in the place of fruits, apple and banana. I have tried replacing ' with " to get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: de_la_espada
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

expanding alias from a variable

Hi ! I am making my first steps to make a script. Therefore i try to make a scp command more easier. Given is the following alias: 14='admin@x-abcd-def.xyz Now i want to let the script read three var's from the console to use them in the script and then build the scp string. echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: locutus01
7 Replies

6. Linux

Expanding slice

Hi all I am testing backupPC as a backup solution for machines, as far as i knew, backuppc cannot combine more than storage from different slices so it have to be in one slice my question is, what is the easy way to offer a virtual logical drive expanded/expandable to backuppc, i mean i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XP_2600
1 Replies

7. Solaris

expanding RAM

our sparc server has only 1Gb RAM. Since RAM is not very expensive anymore, it seems like a good idea to upgrade it. will it make server (and database on it) faster? I hope it would less 'abuse' hard drive.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Trouble with .tar creation over NFS mount

Hello, I am trying to backup a directory to an NFS mount. But after mounting the "tar" command is failing. 1. Created folder for mount point: test1 2. Mounted desired mount: # mount -t nfs server_name2:/backup/WMSAPP_backup -w /test1/ # df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use%... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikn3
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Longlist files without expanding

Hi, I want to long list files within a file.tar.Z/file.tar.gz file. I tried these: I'm working on HP UX 11iV3 OS tar -tvzf file.tar.gz -->not working as 'z' is not supported gunzip -c file.tar.gz | tar tvf - -->does this unizip the tar file? i don't want it to be unzipped. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
1 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)