Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Finding how done IT
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding how done IT Post 26929 by Neo on Monday 26th of August 2002 10:12:43 AM
Old 08-26-2002
In the future you might want to change the way you are managing user accounts. There are a number of ways to do this:

(1) The easiest (not very secure, but helps) is to simply not allow users to login directly as root from remote terminals. They must first login as 'themselves' and then 'su' to root.

(2) If you want more control, you could enable access control lists (ACLs) on your system and then only allow users to login as 'themselves' and then give them root / superuser rights/permissions for commands they need to do their work. This also turns on accounting so you can track exactly what they do.

There are other ways to help insure you can audit what others are doing. Very few, if any, experienced system administrators on a critical multi-user system allow direct remote superuser login.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Finding FC Driver

Hello all, I am trying to figure out what command I can use in AIX in order to find out the driver level for a Fibre Channel adapter. Generically I am able to use "lscfg" to get the details but I am unable to read the output correctly. Can you help? Many thanks, -- output -- lscfg... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: monotone
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding different rows

I have two files. They are prety much the same, except a few lines. I would like to get the differences between the two file, but only those differences and nothing more. "diff" and "sdiff" cannot seem to do it. "sdiff -s" gets close, but I still get "less than" or "greater than" signs in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dombi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help in Finding Files ::

Hi All , i am in progress of creating a script which should find a file a.txt , in a particular root directory . This should actually Search all the Sub directories and copy those files and FTP it to a server . Need a Input how to Proceed on this Thankyou guys (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghav1982
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding a pattern

Hi, I have the below content in file: <xmlfile> ows_Body="Hi" ows_Title="Title" ows_Author="krishna" </xmlfile> I wanted to remove ows_Body content from the file. I am using the below code sed -e 's/ows_Body.*ows/ows/g' Giving output: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahish20
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help finding non duplicates

I am currently creating a script to find filenames that are listed once in an input file (find non duplicates). I then want to report those single files in another file. Here is the function that I have so far: function dups_filenames { file2="" file1="" file="" dn="" ch="" pn="" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipblah84
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help for finding files

Hi, I am trying to find two files in a if condition to do a task Please find below the script that i have built while read line do filename = $line if && ]; then cp /tmp/$filename.dat /sftp/$filename.dat else cat $filename "no trg file associated" >>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkiran77
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding first >

I want to erase some php code between a <? and a ?> in HTML containing a keyword, the problem is it finds the last > and wipes out everything before it how do i specify for it to stop searching after the first >? perl -i -p0e 's/<\?php.*keyword.*\?>//s' there's many lines of php code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding delimiter

Hi, I need to find the field separator for the given files. Ex- abc.txt is "|" delimited file , when I give command the output should be "|" and that shud store it in another variable. This is same with csv files or any other delmited file. If I give the filename it shud give the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prashanth B
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding an average

Basically, I need to find average of numbers which are given like: sh average file1 file (in files can be more than one number) ->10 sh average 5 7 ->6 sh average /users/file ->5 echo 5 7 | sh average 6 So basically i wrote my code but it gives me error... I am pretty sure it has to work... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manu1234567
10 Replies
SECURETTY(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      SECURETTY(5)

NAME
securetty - file which lists terminals from which root can log in DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/securetty contains the names of terminals (one per line, without leading /dev/) which are considered secure for the transmis- sion of certain authentication tokens. It is used by (some versions of) login(1) to restrict the terminals on which root is allowed to login. See login.defs(5) if you use the shadow suite. On PAM enabled systems, it is used for the same purpose by pam_securetty(8) to restrict the terminals on which empty passwords are accepted. FILES
/etc/securetty SEE ALSO
login(1), login.defs(5), pam_securetty(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2015-03-29 SECURETTY(5)