Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mkdir limitations
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mkdir limitations Post 26899 by asifraj on Monday 26th of August 2002 12:40:52 AM
Old 08-26-2002
that means that after you login,

give the following command on the shell prompt

man mkdir

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

need help with 32 bit IP address limitations

32 bit IP addresses with class based allocation schemes have limitations. does anyone know where i could get some info on this or if you have time to spare and really want to help me, a couple of sentences. thanks milos (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 30177005
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit limitations

I am trying to use the csplit file on a file that contains records that have more than 2048 characters on a line. The resultant split file seems to ignore the rest of the line and I lose the data. Is there any way that csplit can handle record lengths greater than 2048? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravagga
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password limitations.

I would like to set my minimum password length to on Linux and AIX. However, doing this normally would only make it so newly added users will be affected by this. I would like for when I make this change, it either truncates everyone elses password, or prompts them to change it to 8+ characters.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris 9 or 10 LUN Limitations

Is there a limit to the number of LUNS that can be concatenated using Solaris Volume manager with Soft partitions? I have worked with some AIX admins in the past and there was such a limitation therefore limiting the size the filesystem could grow to. Is there such a limitation in Solaris 9... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
6 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitations of tac/cat?

As part of a quiz assigned during my unix class I was asked to write a program to ask for a file name, print read errors, and "reverse elements in a list." I used the 'tac' command in my solution, however, I was then lectured for 5 min about the "limitations" of the 'tac' command and how a 'for'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 127.0.0.1
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris limitations

Hi, I recently started working with Solaris, and what I noticed is that a lot of commands I used to regularly use don't work, like sed -i and grep -r. I have found work arounds for these problems though but it's a pain in the ass. I'm just wondering why they decided not to include these handy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

9. Linux

Linux partitions and limitations

In recently reading an article on linux basics before I embark and my personal installation project I came across this passage - IDE drives have three types of partition: primary, logical, and extended. The partition table is located in the master boot record (MBR) of a disk. The MBR is the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synchlavier
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Limitations of 'pdftotext' in Linux...

Guys: I have a customer using the 'pdftotext' utility under Linux. PDFs are received via email, converted to text, etc. and it has worked nicely for years. They received a PDF from a customer and the utility will not read it. The text file is created but it's either empty or has 1-2 bytes of... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenlenard
23 Replies
MKDIR(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  MKDIR(1)

NAME
mkdir -- make directories SYNOPSIS
mkdir [-p] [-m mode] directory_name ... DESCRIPTION
mkdir creates the directories named as operands, in the order specified, using mode rwxrwxrwx (0777) as modified by the current umask(2). The options are as follows: -m Set the file permission bits of the final created directory to the specified mode. The mode argument can be in any of the formats specified to the chmod(1) utility. If a symbolic mode is specified, the operation characters ``+'' and ``-'' are interpreted rela- tive to an initial mode of ``a=rwx''. -p Create intermediate directories as required. If this option is not specified, the full path prefix of each operand must already exist. Intermediate directories are created with permission bits of rwxrwxrwx (0777) as modified by the current umask, plus write and search permission for the owner. Do not consider it an error if the argument directory already exists. The user must have write permission in the parent directory. EXIT STATUS
mkdir exits 0 if successful, and >0 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), rmdir(1), mkdir(2), umask(2) STANDARDS
The mkdir utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
January 25, 1994 BSD