Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Just getting started (beyond newbie) Post 26873 by F.O.G. on Sunday 25th of August 2002 08:08:57 AM
Old 08-25-2002
Computer Good Morning

Just OS X for now. If I get proficient enough fooling round in this OS, I might install a Linux system in one of my old machines, just for fun.

For now, though, it will be enough if I can manage my Hard Drive all by myself.

I've been dinking around in computers' innards since my TS-1000 in 1981. This is the first time I haven't had full access privileges to my own system. That's the only bad thing about OS X that I've seen so far. I understand why it has to be like that, but I don't have to accept it.

Happy Sunday,

F.O.G.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Just getting started

Can anyone tell me what the command Banner means or does Gibby9 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gibby9
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I get started.

I am new to all this UNIX thing and have a system with the following specs: Pentium 1.7 GHz 128MB RAM 20 GB HDD Windows ME My questions are: Can install and run UNIX in such a system? Do I have to stop using Windows? Is there a safe way to get the necessary software online? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayalai
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie wants to get started

HI, I am trying to learn UNIX, taking some online courses at work on UNIX fundamentals. My goal is to take a few classes and then hopefully setup something on a PC at home to practice with some form of UNIX. Anyone have any suggestions on good starting places as far as literature, or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: roma33
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help getting started

Dear all, I just found out that my company is thinking of installing a unix server and is considering either sun or ibm. The thing is that i want to learn these two systems before they take a decision and maybe it will be a big career booster. The problem is that i don't know anything about... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patslaiby
7 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

I'm new and I am trying to get started with OS-X

I bought my first Mac a year ago December, and I love it. I have been interested in trying to write my own programs and don't even know where to start. I have never written any software before and was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations on any books or other good websites that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LittleWoman815
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

getting started

hi world, I am trying to learn how to program in c, I've gotten a few books and have been reading them, one even came with bloodshed dev-c compiler, it is not working, every time I build the hello world program it always comes back saying " G__~1.EXE: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsayres
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Started

Hello guys and dolls, first post happening here... Wanting to know where to start with Unix. Which Unix option/package is best for an absolute beginner and has a well documented, easy to grasp user guide(s). I have dabbled in some programming (basic PHP) and I have an old desktop pc which I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheUltimateNoob
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)