Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Opening Perl
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Opening Perl Post 26864 by auswipe on Saturday 24th of August 2002 06:53:09 PM
Old 08-24-2002
Re: Opening Perl

Quote:
Originally posted by perleo
I have gone to /usr/bin/ and click on perl but notting happens.also notting happens when i click on c/c++ or any other program

whats wrong ?
Perl is an interpretted language so you must have a program to feed it for it to work correctly. If you are running perl, it should open up a window and await input.

For tutorials on learning perl, perform a Google search and you should get a whole bunch. The same goes for C/C++.

What compiler are you using for C/C++? Probably gcc or g++ (g++ is a link to gcc with some flags set for C++). gcc is different. It requires source code to begin with to compile into an executable.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Opening ports

Hi guys, I need to open ports on my AIX machine. The only way I know is to use service name to disable or enable ports which are used by the services. I found in /etc/services that the ports are unidentified. Btw, I want to open port number 11576 and 11577. Need help on this one. Thanks! :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raskita
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Opening a filehandle but not getting anything back from it

I have two perl functions defined, both run a set of shell commands on some somplied data and return hashs of the resulting parsed output from these shell commands. One works, one doesn't and I can't seem to see why. It's driving me insane :mad: The working one: sub getcellstatus { ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smiling Dragon
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Files and checking contents in Perl

Hi All, I need some expert help in performing the following in Perl. I have a code below but it doesn;t seem to work. Can any expert give me some advice? Below are the requirements 1) Open numerous files assigned to an array @FILES. Note that the files are always named with the term... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening Mulitple files using For loop in Perl

Hi All, I have a total of ten file to open in the Perl script and i am using a for loop to open each file and capture some strings inside each file. Unfortunately, i encounter the below syntax error. I think there should be something wrong with this term reports_${counting}_${_}.txt but i do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl-opening a file then copying files

Good morning guys!! Im still practicing with Perl and now Im trying to open a file, and copy its contents to another file. Them I want to remeove the information out of the orginal file after it is copied over. The flow should be messages-->messages1-->messages2. Kind of like a log... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening File names with spaces inside it !- PERL

I developed a perl code..And the excerpt from it is given below... open(HANDLE,$cmp_path) ; #reading the xml file from the file path while($file_path = <HANDLE>) I have list of XML files to read from a folder. It has some spaces inside the name of the file...I used "\"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with opening webpage with IP#

Hi, I would like to open a webpage from an IP# from a file. Lets say I findout an IP address from using grep grep John remotecomputers.txt result: 192.168.2.1 Then after that I would like to increment the IP# to 192.168.2.2 from 192.168.2.1 After that I woud like to launch mozilla or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tthach830
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a file in perl

Hi I need to open a file if a condition(for example a if a regular expression) is met. How do i do this ? open (file) if (some regex)..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manutd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a message in file without opening it in perl

Hello friends, i have a perl script as below ... for (0 ..$#values) { ##want to print some message here in Report.txt file print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt } I am able to get output of print `find /abc/xyz/pqr/$values" -type f -ls` >> Report.txt in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
2 Replies
SMRSH(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  SMRSH(8)

NAME
smrsh - restricted shell for sendmail SYNOPSIS
smrsh -c command DESCRIPTION
The smrsh program is intended as a replacement for sh for use in the ``prog'' mailer in sendmail(8) configuration files. It sharply limits the commands that can be run using the ``|program'' syntax of sendmail in order to improve the over all security of your system. Briefly, even if a ``bad guy'' can get sendmail to run a program without going through an alias or forward file, smrsh limits the set of programs that he or she can execute. Briefly, smrsh limits programs to be in a single directory, by default /usr/adm/sm.bin, allowing the system administrator to choose the set of acceptable commands, and to the shell builtin commands ``exec'', ``exit'', and ``echo''. It also rejects any commands with the charac- ters ``', `<', `>', `;', `$', `(', `)', ` ' (carriage return), or ` ' (newline) on the command line to prevent ``end run'' attacks. It allows ``||'' and ``&&'' to enable commands like: ``"|exec /usr/local/bin/filter || exit 75"'' Initial pathnames on programs are stripped, so forwarding to ``/usr/ucb/vacation'', ``/usr/bin/vacation'', ``/home/server/mydir/bin/vaca- tion'', and ``vacation'' all actually forward to ``/usr/adm/sm.bin/vacation''. System administrators should be conservative about populating the sm.bin directory. For example, a reasonable additions is vacation(1), and the like. No matter how brow-beaten you may be, never include any shell or shell-like program (such as perl(1)) in the sm.bin direc- tory. Note that this does not restrict the use of shell or perl scripts in the sm.bin directory (using the ``#!'' syntax); it simply dis- allows execution of arbitrary programs. Also, including mail filtering programs such as procmail(1) is a very bad idea. procmail(1) allows users to run arbitrary programs in their procmailrc(5). COMPILATION
Compilation should be trivial on most systems. You may need to use -DSMRSH_PATH="path" to adjust the default search path (defaults to ``/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb'') and/or -DSMRSH_CMDDIR="dir" to change the default program directory (defaults to ``/usr/adm/sm.bin''). FILES
/usr/adm/sm.bin - default directory for restricted programs on most OSs /var/adm/sm.bin - directory for restricted programs on HP UX and Solaris /usr/libexec/sm.bin - directory for restricted programs on FreeBSD (>= 3.3) and DragonFly BSD SEE ALSO
sendmail(8) $Date: 2004/08/06 03:55:35 $ SMRSH(8)