Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Command for showing IP Address Post 26773 by thangorn on Friday 23rd of August 2002 08:00:01 AM
Old 08-23-2002
I think ifconfig -a can be used by any user on all systems, problem is its in /usr/sbin and thats not always in your path.

/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a

but if your root it gives you mor einformation, MAC adress ect etc
thangorn

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

df and du command showing different results

I recently encountered this on the AIX system df command showed usage is 100% i.e 1.5 GB while du command showed usage is only 500MB Why are the 2 commands showing different output This command shows usage is 1.5 GB nlxdsm29:deqadm 24> df -k . /usr/sap/DEQ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameya_joshi
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls command showing skewed listing

Hello, I'm running the ls command on an HP-UX 11i platform and am getting skewed listings. In other words, I see 3 columns of perfectly aligned file names, except 1 file is shifted by 2 or 3 bytes. The file to the immediate left of it seems to be causing the problem, for when I do an ls on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsp18974
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

The ps command - process showing up even after application is shut down

Hi all, I'm very new to unix, I'm developing an application in Java, part of which requires me to check if a certain application is still running. In windows, I just use tasklist - if the application has been shut down it won't appear in the task list. I've been trying to use the ps command to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ekatmcg
0 Replies

4. Solaris

uptime command not showing how long the system has been up

Hello folks, uptime command not shows how long the system has been up. I know it come from a corruption of /var/adm/utmpx file. I've done : cat /dev/null > /var/adm/utmpx Now who and last commands work fine. But uptime still give me back an answer without the "up time". In which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogol_bordello
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

command showing error

Hi, I have an command which find the files modified within last 8 days and then after selecting the files from the location it make the tar format and send it to the specified destination ...now I want that this task to be automative ..that is it should happen after every 5 minutes ...for that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH SAXENA
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command showing wrong output in Linux

Hi All I am trying to run a script in linux wherein i have a command like this grep ^prmAttunityUser= djpHewr2XFMAttunitySetup_ae1_tmp djpHewr2XFMAttunitySetup_ae1_tmp is a temporary file in which the user value is stored but this command in the script returns me balnk value whereas it has a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
4 Replies

7. Solaris

PSR showing - in ps command

Hello, running into a bind when im inputting the following command: bash-3.00$ ps -p 874 -L -o pid,psr,pcpu PID PSR %CPU 874 - 0.0 874 - 0.2 874 - 0.0 874 - 1.1 874 - 0.2 Now when i run it on my other SUN machine i get this: bash-3.00$ ps -p 3874... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nolph
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ps command showing different states for same process

I am using HP-UX,KSH $ jobs -l + 19377 Running nohup ksh cat_Duplicate_Records_Removal.ksh </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1 & $ ps -p 19377 -fl F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME COMD 401 S catmgr 19377 19491 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TomG
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Time field showing Zero in ps command output

F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME COMD 401 S catmgr 5748 5742 0 154 20 e0000006d48cd080 133 e0000003fb6e7200 11:22:32 ? 0:00 /opt/ssh/libexec/sftp-server 3401 R catmgr 5742 5631 0 152 20 e0000005f974fa00 750 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command showing no output!

Hi Folks, I have a situation here, where no command is giving any output, and it's not even showing any error message also. What could be the reason? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies
ifparse(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       ifparse(1M)

NAME
ifparse - parse ifconfig command line SYNOPSIS
/sbin/ifparse [-fs] addr_family commands DESCRIPTION
Use the ifparse command to parse the ifconfig(1M) command line options and output substrings, one per line, as appropriate. If no options are specified, ifparse returns the entire ifconfig command line as a series of substrings, one per line. OPTIONS
The ifparse command supports the following options: -f Lists only substrings of the ifconfig command line that are relevant to IP network multipath failover -s Lists only substrings of the ifconfig command line that are not relevant to IP network multipath failover OPERANDS
The ifparse command does not support the interface operand of the ifconfig command. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Parsing Command Line Options Relevant to Failover The following example shows the use of the ifparse command to parse the command line options relevant to IP network multipath failover: example# ifparse -f inet 1.2.3.4 up group one addif 1.2.3.5 -failover up set 1.2.3.4 up Example 2 Parsing Command Line Options That Are Not Relevant to Failover The following example shows the use of the ifparse command to parse the command line options that are not relevant to IP network multipath failover: example# ifparse -s inet 1.2.3.4 up group one addif 1.2.3.5 -failover up group one addif 1.2.3.5 -failover up Example 3 Parsing the Command Line For All Options The following example shows the use of the ifparse command to parse the command line for all ifconfig options: example# ifparse inet 1.2.3.4 up group one addif 1.2.3.5 -failover up group one set 1.2.3.4 up addif 1.2.3.5 -failover up ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Stability Level |Obsolete | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
usage: -fs <addr_family> <commands> Description: This message indicates an invalid command line. ifparse: Not enough space Description: This message indicates insufficient memory. ifparse: dhcp not supported for inet6 Description: DHCP operations are not supported for the inet6 address family. ifparse: Operation <operation> not supported for <addr_family> Description: Most operations cannot be used with all address families. For example, the broadcast operation is not supported on the inet6 address family. ifparse: no argument for <operation> Description: Some operations, for example broadcast, require an argument. NOTES
The ifparse command is classified as an obsolete interface. It will likely be removed in a future release. You should not develop applica- tions that depend upon this interface. SunOS 5.11 9 May 2001 ifparse(1M)