Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory problems with tar multivolume Post 26585 by mysth on Wednesday 21st of August 2002 03:01:49 AM
Old 08-21-2002
Question problems with tar multivolume

HI there,

I need to backup some files from other pcs.
I want to do it from my backupserver.
I am using Unicon (developed from icon) for programming a backupscript, my BS is Mandrake Linux.

The problem I have is:
I cannot use tar multivolume with dd

the command looks something like this
ssh fileserver 'tar cMf - /file' | dd of=/tapedrive

if I use tar --tape-length with it, dd stops writing after the first tape change, but does not continue.

I tried to mount my files and then do the backup only with tar, but then i got the message: cannot open: permission denied.

I tried to find something in the internet but most have problems with extracting tar files.. I can't even create them.

i'd be glad for any help

thx

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar backup problems

Im trying to use tar to backup the os directories. I have a file called bdirs which contains a list of the directories that im trying to backup: /bin /dev /devices /etc /export /home /kernel /lib /local /mnt /opt /platform /proc /sbin start /usr /var /vol (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar problems using Sony AIT drive

Recently we brought up a Spectralogic 2K Tape Library that had been out of service for about 3 years to replace a DDS-4 tape drive unit as our main backup device. Everything seemed to go fine but now I have run into a little problem. System details: FBSD 6.1 SpectraLogic 2K library with a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thumper
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with GNU tar installation

Hi all, Need some help here. I've been trying to install GNU tar version 1.12 into my Solaris 9 machine. steps that I have done was: -untar the package file -run "./configure" -run "make" command (got stuck at this point) Got the following error messages after hitting the make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suffer0
2 Replies

4. AIX

Problems with tar command

Hello Somebody can help me, I try to extract a file by tar command but I get this error message root@mxlgjac/home/bistrain# tar -xvf C57U6ML.tar tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 804399312 not equal to 62020. The file in tar format its on the same directory, where I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LTO multivolume restoration problem in SELS9

Can anybody help me ? ? Previously data was taken multi volume LTO Tape backup in Red hat Linux by following command : tar -cvf /dev/rmt/tps6d7v -b 1000 -M filenames , now i try to Restore it in SELS9 by following command : tar -xvf /dev/st1 -b 1000 -M filenames , it extracts only part of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pramanik
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to create a Tar of multiple Files in Unix and FTP the tar to Windows.

Hi, On my Unix Server in my directory, I have 70 files distributed in the following directories (which have several other files too). These files include C Source Files, Shell Script Source Files, Binary Files, Object Files. a) /usr/users/oracle/bin b) /usr/users/oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with tar between local and nfs disk

Hi, I am trying to move a local directory from a local disk to a nfs disk that has been shared on another file server. I am using this tar command: tar cf - . | (cd /export/nfsdisk && tar xpf - ) It copies the data okay but the big problem is that is resets the owner:group to 'nobody'. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlowry
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed problems with tar'ing a 500Gb directory on an eSATA drive

I'm trying to compress a directory structure on an external hard drive, connected by eSATA cable to my linux (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop. The total volume is 500Gb with half a million files, ranging from Kb to Mb in size. The drive is 2Tb, with 0.8Tb free space before compression. running "tar -pcf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnisppot
10 Replies
BARRYBACKUP(1)						      General Commands Manual						    BARRYBACKUP(1)

NAME
barrybackup - Barry Project's backup program for the BlackBerry handheld SYNOPSIS
barrybackup [-?][-d] DESCRIPTION
barrybackup is a GUI application for backing up and restoring Blackberry handheld databases. The application allows for filtering of databases for both backup and restore, so not all databases need to be backed up at once, nor all restored. Backups and configuration files are stored by default in the user's home directory, under ~/.barry/backup/PIN. This destination can be changed in the config dialogs, per device. The backup files are compressed tarballs containing specially named files for each record of the databases. OPTIONS
-d --debug-output Enables low level protocol debug output written to stdout/stderr. --display=DISPLAY Specify which X display to use. -? --help Show summary of options. -h, --help Show summary of options. TAR FORMAT
Backups are stored in tar format, compressed with gzip. Backup files are named with the following pattern: PIN-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS[-tag_name].tar.gz The tag name is optional and is used to name a particular backup. Each record is appended to the tar file using the following pattern for the filename: DBname/RecordID RecordTypeID That is, the database name is used as the directory name, and the filename contains the record ID and record type ID separated by a space. Database names can contain spaces. Record IDs are generally unique, but not all Blackberry devices mandate this, so it is possible, but rare, to have two records in the tar file with the same filename. This is ok. The only problem you'd see is if you expanded such a tar file to a filesystem. The restore process just reads in the filename sequentially and writes them to the device, so duplicate record IDs are not a problem. AUTHOR
barrybackup is part of the Barry project. This manual page was written by Chris Frey. SEE ALSO
http://www.netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry July 28, 2009 BARRYBACKUP(1)