Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NAT Packets/Port Openine
Special Forums IP Networking NAT Packets/Port Openine Post 26549 by Leigh Stone on Tuesday 20th of August 2002 12:14:50 PM
Old 08-20-2002
Do you mean that your Unix host has 3 LAN connections (interfaces) and acts as a hub ?? If yes, then NAT is available between the interfaces so long as each is defined with a different subnet address. Best Linux example is the use of 'ipchains' for configuring simple NATing rules (IP Masquerade) and configuring your host to act as a router between the subnets. See http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

If you have a seperate piece of network equipment, i.e. a hub, then I would suspect that the answer is no. You will need to purchase a piece of equipment with NAT capability, i.e. a router.

Leigh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

proxy or NAT

how do i configure proxy in freeBSD or NAT so that when i set it up as a server can connect other to my new gateway (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AkinOkin
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

NAT address

Hi Could anybody tell me the solaris command to display the NAT address Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
5 Replies

3. IP Networking

L2 nat

Hi All, Is there any possibility to change the IP address of a package according to its MAC address. It would be a sort of L2 NAT. (i.e. If the MAC address is 00:1A:A0:1E:XX:XX so the dir IP will be 192.168.X.X) Thanks!. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

Help with capturing/reading total packets on specific port number

Hi guys, I'm using a Linux system(Ubuntu) and I've been trying to find a method to read the total packets received/sent on a specific port (e.g port 80 or port 25) on a local machine. I can read the overall total packets received/sent from the /proc/net/dev file system. But what I can't do is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lildee
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Retrieve exchanged packets on a particular port

Hi, I want to find out someway to get the number of exchanged packets (received, transmitted or both) on a particular service (so per Port). There are many network tools on linux (netstat, /proc/net/dev, iptables...) but I can not find an efficient way to get these information. All I can do is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightoy
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy packets from one port to another by iptables

I would like to copy data flow (not redirect!!!) from 1567 port to another 1194 port on same computer. The 1567 Port already binded by Scream program (it is bisy). Is it possible to do it by iptables or for it nesessary another programs? Can you help me in the decision of this question? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanat
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ipf/ipnat NAT/port forward issues

I've been going crazy trying to get this working. Here's the situation: we have a Solaris 10 box that connects an internal network to an external network. We're using ipf/ipnat on it. We've added a couple of new boxes to the internal network (192.168.1.100, .101) and want to be able to get to port... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: spakov
1 Replies

8. Debian

Iptables Nat forward port 29070

Hello, the Nat and the forward worked on my debian server up to the reboot of machines. The following rules*: /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth2 -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --dport 29070 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.1.7:29070 /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp -i eth2 -o eth0 -d... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: titoms
0 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

Snmp and NAT

Hello, I am facing this scenario: three or more remote LAN (peripheral offices), with the same devices (printers, NAS) in each of them. Those LANs have the same network addresses, i.e.192.168.1.* (are connected to WAN via NAT). I need to collect snmp traps from a central server (public IP).... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutrino
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find port number wwn of particular port on dual port HBA,?

please find the below o/p for your reference bash-3.00# fcinfo hba-port HBA Port WWN: 21000024ff295a34 OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c2 Manufacturer: QLogic Corp. Model: 375-3356-02 Firmware Version: 05.03.02 FCode/BIOS Version: BIOS: 2.02; fcode: 2.01;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
3 Replies
InternetSharing(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					InternetSharing(8)

NAME
InternetSharing -- simple NAT/router configuration daemon SYNOPSIS
InternetSharing -d DESCRIPTION
InternetSharing is the back-end for the Internet Sharing feature. It is responsible for configuring the network interfaces, the DHCP server bootpd(8), the network address translation daemon natd(8), and the Internet domain name server named(8). named(8) is run in caching-only mode and allows the DHCP server to always offer the same DNS server address to the DHCP clients, regardless of the value of the actual DNS server addresses. The single command line option -d places additional debugging information to stdout/stderr. InternetSharing is launched by launchd(8) both at start-up and when the user turns Internet Sharing on in the Sharing preferences pane. By default, InternetSharing configures the IP addresses for non-AirPort interfaces starting at 192.168.2.1, walking up by one class C network (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) for each subsequent interface i.e. 192.168.3.1, 192.168.4.1, 192.168.5.1, and so on. The AirPort interface by default is assigned 10.0.2.1. CONFIGURATION
InternetSharing reads the property list com.apple.nat.plist stored in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration. Details of the com.apple.nat.plist are subject to change and are not completely documented here. The plist is a contract between the Sharing preferences pane and InternetSharing. Any details provided here are for informational purposes only. The plist is a dictionary with a single sub-dictionary called NAT containing properties to control which interfaces to use and other set- tings. It may also have a sub-dictionary called AirPort that is used to configure the AirPort interface when it is put into access point mode. One property worth mentioning is SharingNetworkNumberStart. This property controls the behavior of InternetSharing when it configures IP addresses for the local interfaces. The property is encoded as a string containing the dotted decimal network IP address, assumed to be a class C network. For example: <key>SharingNetworkNumberStart</key> <string>192.168.100.0</string> If the SharingNetworkNumberStart appears directly in the NAT dictionary, it controls the starting IP address chosen for the non-AirPort interfaces. If the property appears within the AirPort sub-dictionary, it controls the IP address assigned to the AirPort interface. The purpose of the property is to allow the user to avoid address collisions with existing NAT'd networks. SEE ALSO
bootpd(8), launchd(8), natd(8), named(8) Mac OS X Feburary 26, 2007 Mac OS X