Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How Do I rename a unix file contianing spacing? Post 26505 by iat00 on Tuesday 20th of August 2002 06:19:10 AM
Old 08-20-2002
try "... \ ... " (backslash and space) if u write the filename... Surround the names with `...` or "..."

or just use zsh with autoexpand and autolist features if you have trouble with spec. chars in names of files etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy/rename file as date() unix/shell

File.jpg I want to copy and rename this as 2008-12-02.jpg I tried this copy File.jpg date '%y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S'.jpg This doesnt work.... what do i do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hdogg
1 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Inserting a header with column number to a 1.6 GB file with special spacing

Hi; I've been searching posts to find a solution to what I'm trying to do, but I've have NOT found anything yet. I have a file (file1) with 300K columns and 1411 rows, the columns don't have a column no. header (No header at all) and I'm trying to fetch the information from specific columns.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sogi
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How UNIX/AIX handles a file deep down, say it's being read while another one tries to rename it?

Hi Thinkers, On AIX 5.3, we have a monitor program that reads the log file and searching for a certain string pattern that we define(say "transactionException"), if it sees it then it will raise an alert by sending an email. Because the log file XXX.log is rolling into XXX.log.0, XXX.log.1,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file sequencially in UNIX

I need to be able to look for the last file in a dirctory in UNIX, the file satrt with EFT so this work file=$(ls -tr $EFT*.dat | tail -1) # Select the latest file my last file is EFT1234.dat then I need to be able to get a file that I just ftp and rename with this name EFT1234.dat but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rechever
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Command to rename a file in a zipped folder

Hi, I am into automation work. Is there any UNIX command to rename a file in a zipped folder, without unzipping it..??? Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Victoria.Sam
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename (change in filename in unix with single command

Dear All, Please help ! i ham having 300 file with E.G. PMC1_4567.arc in seq. like PMC1_4568.arc,PMC1_4569.arc ...n and so on.. i want all those file to be rename like PMC_4567.arc ,PMC_4568.arc .. mean i want to remove 1 from first file name .. pls help.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_22
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename a file even when it shows permission Denied in Unix

While executing a script, I am not being able to able to create a file as the file with the same name already exists. That existing file is not getting overwritten as I am not the owner of the file. So, Neither am I able to rename the file nor delete the existing file, so as to get my file created.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Haimanti
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File name has double spacing, but after print it's gone

Hi, I am writing this script to find all files in a directory and print the filepath, date and file size. However, it doesnt seem to preserve double spacing file with this script. I would appreciate a pointer or 2 to get around this - printf("%s ",$i) is printing the filepath, what do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightrider
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Unix file rename

Hi All, I have a unix file which is ceated with variable name, for example: FIRST_FILE_3456 and next time it will be FIRST_FILE_3457 and so on. I need to rename this file like PREV_FIRST_FILE_XXXX where XXXX is the variable part of the file FOR Example 3456 or 3457, etc. Please help to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammad T Khan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Preserving file format and spacing in output file

Hi I have a file with the following structure "VATTENFALL GLOBAL" "Vattenfall Tray" "BARCLAYS BANK LONDON" "Capula" "P1 AGEAS GLOBAL COMPANY" "AAC - Optiver" The requirement is like this 1) Take 2 input... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
16 Replies
XTERMSET(1)						      General Commands Manual						       XTERMSET(1)

NAME
xtermset - change settings of an xterm SYNOPSIS
xtermset [-option ...] DESCRIPTION
xtermset allows you to change the characteristics of an xterm window from the command line. Most options have the same names as those that you would give xterm at startup. OPTIONS
-store [<filename>] This option will save all the other command line options given to the filename. If filename is omitted then the options will be written to ~/.xtermsetrc. -default [<filename>] This option will load options from the specified filename. If the filename is omitted then the options will be loaded from ~/.xtermsetrc. Options specified on the command line preceed those that are in the options file. -f, -force xtermset normally checks if you are using it on a correct terminal (xterm (derivative) or dtterm (derivative). With this option you can override this checking. -T string, -title string Sets the window title. -n string Sets the icon name. -fg color Sets the VT100 foreground color. -bg color Sets the VT100 background color. -mousefg color Sets the mouse pointer foreground color. -mousebg color Sets the mouse pointer background color. -tekfg color Sets the Tektronix emulation window foreground color. -tekbg color Sets the Tektronix emulation window background color. -cr color Sets the text cursor color. -hc color Sets the color for highlighted (selected) text. -fn font-spec, -font font-spec Sets the font. -geom geometry-spec, -geometry geometry-spec Sets the window size and position; see X(1) for details. FILES
~/.xtermsetrc SEE ALSO
bash(1), xterm(1), X(1) BUGS
-geom does not support offsets from the left or bottom of the screen. If the geometry-spec isn't in the correct format, the output will be strange. AUTHORS
Breyten Ernsting (bje@dds.nl) Decklin Foster (decklin@home.com) User Commands Dec 2000 XTERMSET(1)