Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris Server Crash
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Solaris Server Crash Post 26346 by RTM on Thursday 15th of August 2002 12:56:42 PM
Old 08-15-2002
Since the disk will not boot into single user, you must boot cdrom into single user.

ok boot cdrom -s

Once you are at the # prompt - run fsck -y against all your drives.
If you don't know them all, you can run the format command to list them.

If you still can't boot off the drive after that, the only option is rebuild UNLESS you were using some sort of disk manager program (like DiskSuite which come free with Solaris 2.6). If you had a mirror of the drive, then you might be okay. There are procedures to boot off the other drive.

Or, if you have a ufsdump or other backup of the drive, then you can replace the drive, boot cdrom -s, and restore the new drive to be like the old - if you need that procedure you should be able to find it on Sunsolve.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux server crash

Hi I faced a problem while booting linux which is as follows;- ************************************************* Inode 146180 has illegal block(s) xauth:error in locking authority file /home/root/.Xauthority Fatal Server Error: Could not create lock file in /tmp/tXo-lock ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abhishek
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

server crash

Our SUn Solaris Server has crashed second time in 2 days, reason is not known , we are trying to determine what could have gone wrong, any ideas, the power supply seems to be fine, there is no response from keyboard,monitor etc and we had to do a hot boot yesterday.. Any suggestions what could be... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: knarayan
9 Replies

3. Programming

Client/Server Socket Application - Preventing Client from quitting on server crash

Problem - Linux Client/Server Socket Application: Preventing Client from quitting on server crash Hi, I am writing a Linux socket Server and Client using TCP protocol on Ubuntu 9.04 x64. I am having problem trying to implement a scenario where the client should keep running even when the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun.nagpaal
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Sparc Solaris 8 crash dump

My sparc solaris 8 server crashed/rebooted yesterday and I have the vmcore files. I have some initial output from SCAT and ACT. I have not included all but any info would be helpful. I can supply more output if necessary. Thanks you. Can I have any information about this ACT and SCAT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csgonan
2 Replies

5. SCO

Crash error on my unix server

Hi there. Well i have a really bad problem with my server: UnixWare Version 5 Release 7 The system crash :wall: and show the error: Panic: Kernel-mode address fault on user address 0x00000004 :eek: If anyone knows about the reason of this error please give me a help Sorry by my english.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danilosevilla
3 Replies

6. Programming

Client accidently close when the server crash

The steps to test the problem 1. Open TCP Server 2. Open TCP Client 3. TCP Client sends data to Server. 4. Close TCP Server and the client also crash without any notification Second wonderful test: 1. Comment the following statement in Client.c (at line 168) and compile it Writen(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sehang
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

how to configure netdump to copy the crash in the server itself??

hi, i would like to configure netdump, but saving the var/crash in the server itself, not in another server. could anybody tell me if this is possible? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Question with Solaris Crash Analysis Tool with Solaris 9

Hello all. I am new hear and would like to ask a question regarding to the Solaris Crash Analysis Tool. We are analyzing the results of "thread summary" but not quite sure what the asterisk represents. Following are the items that asterisk were attached. 50* threads sleeping on a semaphore (49... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: YuW
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris U10 - Crash OS

Hello, I an triyng to write an emergency procedure, and I need your help, or point of view. I trying to find a way to get connected to an U10 Sun Solaris by the serial port to be able to get access to the system to debug systeme crash before restarting the server. The SUN U10 does not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Check for existence of crash on Solaris 10

Hey all what is the command to check "Check for existence of crash/coredump files in /var/crash/"hostname" directory" thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gema.utama
4 Replies
installboot(1M) 														   installboot(1M)

NAME
installboot - install bootblocks in a disk partition SYNOPSIS
installboot bootblk raw-disk-device The boot(1M) program, ufsboot, is loaded from disk by the bootblock program which resides in the boot area of a disk partition. The ufs boot objects are platform-dependent, and reside in the /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory. The platform name can be found using the -i option of uname(1). The installboot utility is a SPARC only program. It is not supported on the architecture. users should use installgrub(1M) instead. bootblk The name of the bootblock code. raw-disk-device The name of the disk device onto which the bootblock code is to be installed; it must be a character device which is read- able and writable. Naming conventions for a SCSI or IPI drive are c?t?d?s? and c?d?s? for an IDE drive. Example 1: Installing UFS Boot Block To install a ufs boot block on slice 0 of target 0 on controller 1 of the platform where the command is being run, use: example# installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 /usr/platform/platform-name/lib/fs/ufs directory where ufs boot objects reside. /platform/platform-name/ufsboot second level program to boot from a disk or CD See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ od(1), uname(1), boot(1M), init(1M), kadb(1M), kernel(1M), monitor(1M), reboot(1M), rpc.bootparamd(1M), init.d(4), attributes(5) WARNINGS
The installboot utility fails if the bootblk or openfirmware files do not exist or if the raw disk device is not a character device. 11 Apr 2005 installboot(1M)