Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: processes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers processes Post 26224 by RTM on Tuesday 13th of August 2002 05:25:01 PM
Old 08-13-2002
Found this
ps -ef | sed -n '/aim.*\.sh/{/grep/!p;}' | awk '{print$2}' | xargs -i kill {}

from this post - realize it is killing the process - just remove the last pipe and xargs -i kill {} if you don't need to kill it. This is looking for a processes with aim.* in it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

co-processes

Is it possible to have a main script (i will call it main.ksh) that executes say, 4 other scripts (sub_prog_1.ksh, sub_prog_2.ksh etc..) from within this main.ksh (simultaneously/in parallel), have them run in the background and communicate back to main.ksh when complete? My guess is to use... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: google
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need some example of Co-Processes

I want to know how to work the Co-Processes in kornshell scripts. So, I very need some script about Co-Processes! thanks ...:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javalee
3 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

processes

write a program create two processes to run a for loop which adds numbers 1 to n , say one process adds odd numbers and other adds even numbers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayaram_miryabb
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processes

Can someone tell how to find out how long a process has been running? I want to find something that is usually there that the paging system can check on. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beetlejuice
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processes

I have a file like this. No. State Query Times User Processed Syslog 1 ready idle 973s 0 /Application/ugsvols/bldata01/logs/imanscript1562.syslog 2 ready idle 803s 83997 13 /Application/ugsvols/bldata01/logs/imanscript1542.syslog 3 ready idle 2954s 106641... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
17 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Processes

Hi all, I needed a little help. It's OS thing. Suppose I have 2 machine connect over a network, I will call my machines as M1and M2. If I copy a files from M1 to M2. What tasks are these two machine performing for copy to work. My assumption is that M1 is performing read action and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwesh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

processes

may i know a command to find processes not attached to a terminal?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riya9
1 Replies
KILL(1) 							   User Commands							   KILL(1)

NAME
kill - terminate a process SYNOPSIS
kill [-s signal|-p] [-q sigval] [-a] [--] pid... kill -l [signal] DESCRIPTION
The command kill sends the specified signal to the specified process or process group. If no signal is specified, the TERM signal is sent. The TERM signal will kill processes which do not catch this signal. For other processes, it may be necessary to use the KILL (9) signal, since this signal cannot be caught. Most modern shells have a builtin kill function, with a usage rather similar to that of the command described here. The '-a' and '-p' options, and the possibility to specify processes by command name are a local extension. If sig is 0, then no signal is sent, but error checking is still performed. OPTIONS
pid... Specify the list of processes that kill should signal. Each pid can be one of five things: n where n is larger than 0. The process with pid n will be signaled. 0 All processes in the current process group are signaled. -1 All processes with pid larger than 1 will be signaled. -n where n is larger than 1. All processes in process group n are signaled. When an argument of the form '-n' is given, and it is meant to denote a process group, either the signal must be specified first, or the argument must be preceded by a '--' option, otherwise it will be taken as the signal to send. commandname All processes invoked using that name will be signaled. -s, --signal signal Specify the signal to send. The signal may be given as a signal name or number. -l, --list [signal] Print a list of signal names, or convert signal given as argument to a name. The signals are found in /usr/include/linux/signal.h -L, --table Similar to -l, but will print signal names and their corresponding numbers. -a, --all Do not restrict the commandname-to-pid conversion to processes with the same uid as the present process. -p, --pid Specify that kill should only print the process id (pid) of the named processes, and not send any signals. -q, --queue sigval Use sigqueue(2) rather than kill(2) and the sigval argument is used to specify an integer to be sent with the signal. If the receiving process has installed a handler for this signal using the SA_SIGINFO flag to sigaction(2), then it can obtain this data via the si_value field of the siginfo_t structure. NOTES
It is not possible to send a signal to explicitly selected thread in a multithreaded process by kill(2) syscall. If kill(2) is used to send a signal to a thread group, then kernel selects arbitrary member of the thread group that has not blocked the signal. For more details see clone(2) CLONE_THREAD description. The command kill(1) as well as syscall kill(2) accepts TID (thread ID, see gettid(2)) as argument. In this case the kill behavior is not changed and the signal is also delivered to the thread group rather than to the specified thread. SEE ALSO
bash(1), tcsh(1), kill(2), sigvec(2), signal(7) AUTHOR
Taken from BSD 4.4. The ability to translate process names to process ids was added by Salvatore Valente <svalente@mit.edu>. AVAILABILITY
The kill command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux March 2013 KILL(1)