Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crontab questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers crontab questions Post 26160 by Nisha on Tuesday 13th of August 2002 12:20:32 AM
Old 08-13-2002
The home directory for crontab is

/usr/spool/cron/crontabs

In this directory u will find two very important files namely

cron.allow and cron.deny

if your user id is present in cron.allow then u are eligible for setting a crontab ... if its present in cron.deny, then permission is denied and u have to contact your administrator to move your id to cron.allow.

-Nisha

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Three Questions

I just want to know Three questions: 1.what is the name of c++ compiler used in Linux/Unix (like gcc compiler used for c ).And please tell me how can i compile the program of c++. 2. I have Devloped a program of Database in C Under Linux/Unix Enviornment and now i want to add some graphics... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: at_renai2001
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

questions

Dear Guys , I have some Questions , i need to have answeres for . 1. now if i took a back up for /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow , like simple copy .. and Install a new system , and paste those two files to the new system ... are the passwords and user info. going to work ?? is it posibble ? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamemi
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

3 questions in 1

Hi folks, 1. How can i know which version/type of unix i am running? any special commands?. I connect to a remote machine through SSH but have no clue what kind of unix that is (don't laugh :-)) 2. Why does the machine i connect to have $ sign as its shell prompt sign while solaris has #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alikun
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab questions

I found a nice page that explains crontab but I was wondering can the cron table be edited in a way other than with crontab -e? In other words, directly in some editor. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eBay
2 Replies

5. Programming

two questions

hey all, I have question when am writing simple shell... in the child am calling execvp, i want the parent to know when execvp returns - 1. how can i let the parent know the result of execvp thanks in advance (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab questions

I just started playing around with RHEL 5. What's the difference between adding crontab files to automate a daily task as opposed to adding them in the appropriate directory, such as cron.daily? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaspol
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Questions regarding crontab entry

can anyone explains me the last fields in the below cron job. Here it will run on 31st 23:59.. what is mean by 1-7/2 (first to seventh month) what /2 represents 59 23 31 1-7/2,8-12/2 Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi questions

Hello, I would like to know how we can highlight/select a section of a file in vi and delete that section if we don't want to use the dd command to delete one line at at time. There is one where we don't want to delete the whole line , but up to a certain word. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						      General Commands Manual							CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab - maintain crontab files for individual users (ISC Cron V4.1) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] [-l | -r | -e] DESCRIPTION
Crontab is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in ISC Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the cron.allow file does not exist but the cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, only the super user will be allowed to use this command. If the -u option is given, it specifies the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines "your" crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(8) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(8) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename ``-'' is given. The -l option causes the current crontab to be displayed on standard output. The -r option causes the current crontab to be removed. The -e option is used to edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) FILES
/etc/cron.allow /etc/cron.deny STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std1003.2-1992 (``POSIX''). This new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. AUTHOR
Paul Vixie <vixie@isc.org> 4th Berkeley Distribution 29 December 1993 CRONTAB(1)