Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find Previous date and Coming date Post 2615 by mib on Thursday 24th of May 2001 11:41:08 AM
Old 05-24-2001
or use perl method:

print scalar localtime (time() - 86400 * n);
it will substract n from current date and print the date

To get date seven days from now:
print scalar localtime (time() + 86400 * 7);

7 days before current date:
print scalar localtime (time() - 86400 * 7);

HTH

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specify a previous date as start date in shell script

Hi, I am trying to modify a script which accepts date in format dd/mm/yy. I am trying to modify the script so that it retrieves the date that was 15 days earlier from today as start date. Eg.if today is 05/09/2006, the script should retrieve 21/08/2006 as start date. Is there any script/code to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritzwan0
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to get previous date from date command in ksh

I want to get previous date from date command. I am using ksh shell. Exmp: today is 2008.09.04 I want the result : 2008.09.03 Please help. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass the first date and last date of previous month

Hi All, I need to run a job every month at the beginning of the month which is scheduled through autosys, lets say on 03/01/2010. I need to pass the last month's i.e February's first_date = 02/01/2010 and last_date = 02/28/2010 as variables to a stored procedure. Can somebody please pass... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigdmab
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the previous day date and creating a file with date

Hi guys, I had a scenario... 1. I had to get the previous days date in yyyymmdd format 2. i had to create a file with Date inthe format yyyymmdd.txt format both are different thanks guys in advance.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apple2685
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting last date of previous month and first date of previous 4th month from current date

I have requirment to get last date of previous month and the first date of previous 4th month: Example: Current date: 20130320 (yyyymmdd) Last date of previous month: 20130228 (yyyymmdd) First date of previous 4th month: 20121101 (yyyymmdd) In my shell --date, -d, -v switches are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the date of previous day in shell script?

Hi Experts, i am using the below code get the date of previous day. #!/usr/bin/ksh datestamp=`date '+%Y%m%d'` yest=$((datestamp -1)) echo $yest When i execute the code i am getting output as: 20130715 What i am trying here is, based on the date passed i am fetching previus day's... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: learner24
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and delete file previous to some date

Hello All, I have a directory containing of many .dat file, but with different naming conventions. I want to delete files which are created before and on 10th September 2013. I tried this command to see files which are are the files created before 10th September find path/to/file -type... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnani
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date - incorrect results for previous date

Hello: I am bit puzzled with what I could be doing wrong and any help is appreciated. I have a date in YYYMMDD format and I need to find the previous date. Based on the input on this forum, I have come up with the following. It seems to work for all except the following. Here I am passing date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wincrazy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to get previous date for the given input date..

hi all, need a script or command to get the previous date for the given input date... like in my script i will pass date as input parameter like 2014-12-01 and i want the output as previous date.. ie.. 2014-11-30 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to fetch previous month first date and last date

I am not able to fetch first date and last date previous month date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d date -d -1month +%Y-%m-%d I need two format dd-mm-yyy previous month 01-03-2016 previous month 31-03-2016 and also only date 1 to 31 Aprriciate your replay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagu
4 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-jy] [[month] year] cal [-j] -m month [year] ncal [-jJpwy] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-Jeo] [year] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. -o Display date of orthodox easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. A single parameter specifies the year (1 - 9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calen- dar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as specified by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calendar for the month of August in the current year). A year starts on Jan 1. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian--Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. BSD
November 23, 2004 BSD