Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: file question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file question Post 26142 by google on Monday 12th of August 2002 04:17:51 PM
Old 08-12-2002
file question

without using a file stream editor such as sed, is there a way to echo the value of a variable to a specific location in a file (i.e. if the file has 20 lines, can I add a new line with the contents of the variable FOO at line 1?) ? I should add that the file will be created during run time. The shell will create the file, capture a output from a spool command, then slap a header record and trailer record on it. The header cannot be initially created because its dependant upon the output of the spool.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question about difference between executable file and ordinary file

Hi, I am newbie in unix and just started learning it. I want to know what is the difference between an executable file and a file (say text file). How to create executable file? What is the extension for that? How to differentiate ? How does it get executed? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balaji
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file deleting question

somehow one of my directories got a number of files whose names start with a dash - e.g. -1129.txt how can I remove them? If I issue rm -1129.txt I get the message of illegal options if I issue rm /-1129.txt I get a message that -1129.txt is not found Lisa HP-UX 11.23 i64 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post Shell programming: Question about source a file and read data from the file

This is shell programming assignment. It needs to create a file called .std_dbrc contains STD_DBROOT=${HOME}/class/2031/Assgn3/STD_DB (which includes all my simple database files) and I am gonna use this .std_dbrc in my script file (read the data from the database files) like this: .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccwq
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mk file question

In a makefile when you specify something like.... xxx-xx: -$(yyy) $(zzz) What does the"-" (hyphen) before the "$" mean? (assuming xxx-xx is the target name) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixmat1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about output to file

Hi, I am try to setup a FOR loop script to find out all the existing linux workstations in the network w/ ip address, hostname and linux version. I created a basic FOR loop script: for i in $(seq 1 254) do echo 10.72.169.$i >> result ssh -o ConnectTimeout=3 root@10.72.169.$i "hostname"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beeloo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question regarding lm file

How to know where a ln file point to.ln files is soft link which point to some file. I want to get the absolute path of that file which my lm files pointing to. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_deb
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar file question

Hi I did this command to tar the files but I got an error. tar -cvpf filename.tar pathname/ It did tar the file filename.tar but then it gave me this error "Reach end of file before expected". The new tar file is about 2GB. So does that mean my tar file limit is 2GB? Is there a max limit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaoses
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Question about crontab file!

Friends , I have the following questions about crontab file : 1) In crontab file I got the folllowing output : # cat /etc/crontab SHELL=/bin/bash PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MAILTO=root HOME=/ # run-parts 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly 02 4 * * * root... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
2 Replies

9. Solaris

File system - question?

Hello, I have few questions about file system in Unix and Linux. 1. What's the difference between Unix and Linux in their file system? Are they the same? 2. Is in Unix directory for administrator "/root" - like in Linux - Ubuntu or not? 3.Where is the users directory in Unix? Is it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: niki22
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how many pass in the file ,three question

Hi all Question 1: I want to use "awk" or "sed" to know how many "PASS after "FINISH" i Question 2: I want to use "awk" or "sed" to know how many "PASS" after the *last* "FINISH ,it shoud be 2 in this file Question 3. I want to use "awk" or "sed" to know how many "PASS between "789" and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
5 Replies
uuaids(8c)																uuaids(8c)

Name
       uucompact, uumkspool, uurespool, uupoll - uucp utilities

Syntax
       uucompact -ssystem
       uumkspool system ...
       uurespool [ -t# ]
       uupoll system ...

Description
       All of the commands are located in

The  command  compacts  uucp  system spool directories and associated subdirectories. If system is ALL, then all existing uucp system spool
       directories are compacted.  Otherwise, only the specified system spool directory is compacted.  If no system is	specified,  is	compacted.
       If  is stopped before it is finished, it can be restarted without reprocessing directories.  The command continues processing where it left
       off during it's previous instantiation.

The command makes a per system spool directory and associated subdirectories for each of the specified systems.	For example, if system	is
       mk3 and if the local system name is penny, the following directories are created:
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/C.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/X.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
	       /usr/spool/uucp/sys/mk3/D.penny
       The  command  moves files from old spool directories to	new spool directories.	Because the structure of the spool directories has changed
       from older versions of it is necessary to respool old spooled files to new spool directories in at least two instances:

o    When installing the current version of

o    When creating a new system spool directory for each system.

In the latter case, it is necessary to move files from to the new spool directories.  To ease this task, moves files that have been spooled
       in  one	of 4 formats and respools them under the new spooling structure.  The format is specified by the -t# option, where the number sign
       (#) can be any one of the following:

o   Original spool - All files are in

o   Split spool - Contains the subdirectories

o   Modified split spool -  Contains all subdirectories listed in split spool, and

o   Used when a new system directory has been created and spool files must be moved from the DEFAULT directory to the new system directory.

The command forces a connect attempt to the named systems even if recent attempts have failed, but not if the file prohibits the call.  For
       example, the file will prohibit the call if it is the wrong time of day.  Thus, the should be monitored for messages about the connection.

Files
       Spool directory

Logfile

See Also
       mail(1), uucp(1c), uux(1c)

uuaids(8c)