Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Global Variabels
Top Forums Programming Global Variabels Post 25862 by peter.herlihy on Tuesday 6th of August 2002 05:58:15 PM
Old 08-06-2002
You could do this a couple of ways.

1) You could add the variables to your profile....~/.profile - so that when that user signs on the variables are set for them.
2) You could create an environment file that other files set when they want. Include your vairables in this file , then use them in your script with a .filename

These are both methods that I use.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exporting variabels from env file

I am running a unix script and calling an env script with in that. but the variables i am exporting in env are not being used by the present script. can any body let me know why? The env file is in the same directory and when i run in devug mode its able to show all the variable values also. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to know the global zonename from non-global zone?

It is easy to list all zones from global zones, but how to find out the global zone name from non-global zone? thx (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
11 Replies

3. Solaris

How can we copy a directory from Global to Non-global zone?

Hi All, How can we copy a directory from global zone to non-global zone using SCP command? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
8 Replies

4. Solaris

Is there two different kernel`s running in global and non global zone?

Hi All, I want to know for non global zone there will be different kernal running? (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Solaris

How to access ENV variables of non global zones in global zone???

Hi Guys, My requirement is I have file called /opt/orahome/.profile in non global zone. PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:. export PATH PS1="\${ORACLE_SID}:`hostname`:\$PWD$ " export PS1 EDITOR=vi export EDITOR ENV=/opt/orahome/.kshrc export ENV... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How to see global hostname by logging in non global zones?

Hi guru Could any one help me by letting me know, how to see global hostname by logging in non global zones Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to identify a global or non-global Solaris server?

Hi, I have Solaris zone configured with Solaris 9 and 10. In Solaris 10(non global), I use the command “zonename” to get whether it is global or non-global server. For Solaris 9, what command I can use to get whether it is global or non-global server. Regards, Kalai :confused: (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
25 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why global var is not global with export

Hi, I try to define global var assuming that I can acces it from multiple sessions/terminal windows, but I can't do this with either comand line or script delcaratino/export. I'm not a root user doing this, but is this should not be matter. Even if I do this lines below in script, being in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trento17
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Global and non-global zone resource sharing - tricky

hi all, Just a simple question but i cant get the answers in the book - In my globalzone , assuming i have 4 cpus (psrinfo -pv = 0-3), if i set dedicated-cpu (ncpus=2) for my local zone Is my globalzone left with 2 cpus or still 4 cpus ? Does localzone "resource reservation.e.g. cpu in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Date and time change in global and non global zone

Hi, If I change date and time in global zone, then it will affect in non global zones. During this process what files will get affect in non global zones and which mechanism it's using to change. gloabl zone:Solaris 11.3 X86 TIA (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
1 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)