Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: too many linux versions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers too many linux versions Post 2584 by 98_1LE on Wednesday 23rd of May 2001 11:51:27 AM
Old 05-23-2001
Yes you will need a partition to install Linux and NT on the same box. As for versions, I prefer RedHat but everyone has an opinion, usually biased by what they have used. To install it you will first need to split your disk, if you aren't familar with this I suggest getting Partition Magic. then boot off of the Linux boot floppy and follow the instructions. The only gotcha is being careful not to format or install over the NT partition. I would backup anything really important. It's really not that hard though.
Good luck Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diffrent versions of Unix/Linux

With so many diffrent flavors out there, how is a person soposed to know what to go with? I'm not asking for specific discussion here in this forum, but I would like to see various pages and articles dicsussing the pluses and minuses of various unix/linux OS's. I have been searching various... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MorderKartoffel
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Is there any way to get old HP-UX versions?

I got my hands on a HP9000/380 and need a (really) old version of HP-UX, like 7 or 8. Is there any vendor who sells older versions? I did a quick search here and checked the FAQ and HPs HP-UX site but couldn't find anything. :confused: Any help is appreciated! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlundh
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

building and running a software in different linux kernel versions

my Querry is if i build a software on a specific linux kernel and then try to run it on another linux kernel ....what can be the possible problems or what errors can most probably appear while running the binary in an updated version of linux. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mobydick
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux Distribution of sysstat versions

Hello, Is there any place or specific site where I can find the "Sysstat versions" by Linux distributions. I have a sample data collected but wasn't sure if there is a specific place to gather this info. RHEL6 - 9.0.4 SUSE9 - 5.0.1 SUSE9-sp2 - 5.0.1 SUSE10 - 6.0.2 SUSE10sp1 - 6.0.2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: devtakh
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

install multiple versions of firefox in linux

Since apt-get and yum won't let you install multiple versions of firefox I will explain how to here. 1. Go to this page and decide which version of firefox you want. ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/ I used this one. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

Versions of HP-UX

Lo guys, I've just started a new department in work and I'm going to be using HP-UX with Vi. The problem is I'm completely new to UNIX, I'm currently learning at work but I only have limited amounts of time on our dev systems. Is it possible to get a free/educational version any where? I don't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: john2012
4 Replies

7. Linux

Different versions of Linux

Hello Friends, Please anyone share with me, the name of different versions of Linux? Which are the latest versions of Linux ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggiwebsinfo
2 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)