Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers install linux from cd, for dual boot w/98 Post 25772 by NemesisXP on Monday 5th of August 2002 11:18:29 AM
Old 08-05-2002
Tools

The way I dual boot linux on my comp was to install lilo on my root partiton and not the MBR, create a boot disk, boot into linux then open bash with su, and then entered dd=/dev/hda4 bs=512 count=1 > /root/linux.bin (hda4 being the root partition).

Then I copied the linux.bin file on to floppy, boot up windows and copy the linux.bin file to c:\, then edit my boot.ini file, adding the line c:\linux.bin="linux", works really well.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Again Linux and Win2k dual boot

Hello, sorry to bug again....a friend of mine who works for a software company asked the network guy there .....I want to install Linux 7.2 on my windows 2000 box....Mr. Network said that I should have installed linux first then 2k.....does it really make a difference which operating system is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jonas27
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DUAL BOOT redhat linux 7.3 - W2K

Hi, i know a little bit of Unix, but not a whole lot. I have a PC with W2K running on it. I want to install redhat Linux 7.3 as new OS in dual boot. do I need to install a boot manager like system commander or does the linux install detects other OS'es and create a dual boot 4 me (like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxthree
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

XP/Linux dual boot

Does anyone have any idea how I can manage an XP/Linux dual boot (I want to use debian), I can't find anything about it on the internet! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XDC_Wolf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

windows -linux dual boot............

I am trying to implement a dual boot on my laptop ... using a small xp partition and fedora core 269.1-fc2 i686 linux kernel.. so far I have had to log off and reboot to enter the other partition... but this is getting frustrating.. windows is on /dev/hda1 and 1-5 is on the linux partition. I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install Free BSD with dual boot with XP?

:confused: hello I have XP installed computer. I am completely newbie in Unix. Despite yesterday I tried to install Free BSD 5. But I coluldn't do. So now computer is not bootable i have done wrong thing. Can you help me installing it without making Xp out of computer? please reply (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sualcavab
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris/Linux Dual Boot

From googling around, I have found that dual booting isn't so hard... if you are installing both for the first time. However, I couldn't find anything on if I can preserve my Solaris 10 partition that is already installed. Any words of advice? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GeekMasterFlash
1 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Need to install red hat linux on existing windows vista OS as dual boot

HI ALL, I need to install linux on already existing windows vista OS. I tried to install linux,am getting error while creating patitions, i)selected manula patition with grude option.. after that when i m selecting free space to create mount points, its giving error "could not allocate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack00423
2 Replies

8. Linux

Dual Boot Linux Recommendation

Hi there, Let me make things simple........I want to dual boot Vista 32 bit with some version of Linux / Unix OS. Please recommend........Open SuSE 11, Fedora 9, Ubuntu etc etc 32 bit or 64 bit?? My desktop is Sony Vaio VGC-LS1. Lap top Dell XPS 1710. Hoping to hear your... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to run linux in windows 7 without dual boot?

tell me in steps if its virtual box (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahor1989
2 Replies
FDFORMAT(8)						       System Administration						       FDFORMAT(8)

NAME
fdformat - low-level format a floppy disk SYNOPSIS
fdformat [options] device DESCRIPTION
fdformat does a low-level format on a floppy disk. device is usually one of the following (for floppy devices the major = 2, and the minor is shown for informational purposes only): /dev/fd0d360 (minor = 4) /dev/fd0h1200 (minor = 8) /dev/fd0D360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0H360 (minor = 12) /dev/fd0D720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0H720 (minor = 16) /dev/fd0h360 (minor = 20) /dev/fd0h720 (minor = 24) /dev/fd0H1440 (minor = 28) /dev/fd1d360 (minor = 5) /dev/fd1h1200 (minor = 9) /dev/fd1D360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1H360 (minor = 13) /dev/fd1D720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1H720 (minor = 17) /dev/fd1h360 (minor = 21) /dev/fd1h720 (minor = 25) /dev/fd1H1440 (minor = 29) The generic floppy devices, /dev/fd0 and /dev/fd1, will fail to work with fdformat when a non-standard format is being used, or if the for- mat has not been autodetected earlier. In this case, use setfdprm(8) to load the disk parameters. OPTIONS
-n, --no-verify Skip the verification that is normally performed after the formatting. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Display help and exit. SEE ALSO
fd(4), setfdprm(8), mkfs(8), emkfs(8) AUTHOR
Werner Almesberger (almesber@nessie.cs.id.ethz.ch) AVAILABILITY
The fdformat command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2011 FDFORMAT(8)