Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: output of NETSTAT
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers output of NETSTAT Post 25694 by psprocida on Friday 2nd of August 2002 02:50:02 PM
Old 08-02-2002
Lightbulb

It seems at first glance your problem lies with the configuration of the interface or the switch the system is connected to. Having a lot of output packets is common in a server, I don't believe you have a problem there.

First you must find out what your NIC card is configured for or what your machine is set for in the /etc/system file there could be an entry that states something like the following:

set hme:hme_adv_100autoneg_cap=0
set hme:hme_adv_100fdx_cap=1
set hme:hme_adv_100hdx_cap=0

These settings force the machine to be 100 fullduplex and does not allow the system to autonegotiate.

If these settings are not in the system file, then you can type the following commands to let you know what your system is configured for (you have to be root, and know what interface you are using hme0, le0, ge0)

[root@hostname]$ndd /dev/hme link_mode

[root@hostname]$ndd /dev/hme link_status

[root@hostname]$ndd /dev/hme link_speed

If your response is 1 to all, your machine is at 100fullduplex, if your response to any of these above commands is zero your machine is set to 100/halfduplex

Now that you have your NIC card settings, check with your IT department and find out what the switch is set for which this server is connected to. It looks like your machine is set to 100/full while the switch is set to 100/half. If this does not solve the problem take the machine down to the ok prompt. Run test-all. This runs a PROM level test which includes the NIC card.Or you can run post-results.

Last edited by psprocida; 08-02-2002 at 04:20 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering a range of ports out of a netstat output

i'd like to grep a range of ports on a netstat -nt output, localaddress, say :1 to :1023. how do i do it via sed/awk/grep? Thanks, Marc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
1 Replies

2. Solaris

netstat -an -- meaning of the output

Dear Experts, I put below command- could you please describe the outputs column- let me describe some them- col_1: (10.131.60.48.55880) The IP address of the local computer and the port number being used for this particular connection appear in the Local Address column. col_2:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Difference in netstat -a and -an output.

Hi, Does anyone know why I get a different output when using "netstat -a" or "netstat -an" ?? # netstat -a | grep ts15r135 tcp 0 0 nbsol152.62736 ts15r135.23211 ESTABLISHED # netstat -an | grep 172.23.160.78 tcp 0 0 135.246.39.152.51954 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

interpreting netstat output

hi all, when I run- wcars1j5#netstat -an | grep 8090 127.0.0.1.8090 *.* 0 0 49152 0 LISTEN wcars1j5# 1. does this mean that no one is connected to this port? Regards, akash (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash_mahakode
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

netstat output

I can't tell what the output of the netstat command means. Is there anywhere that has this information? I tried the man pages, but they weren't helpful. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
3 Replies

6. IP Networking

Connections not shown in netstat output

I have a TCPIP server application (a Vendor package) which by default allows 10 connections. It provides a parameter to allow us to increase the maximum allowable connections in case it is needed. Intermittently this application is failing with maximum number of connections reached even when there... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AIX_user
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Amount of Network Traffic info from netstat output

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how much traffic has been generated and received from netstat -s output (using Linux). I can see the output shows packet counts and Octet values, how would I correctly calculate how much traffic in and how much out? My output below: Ip: 88847576 total... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netstat -an output, pls. explain..

Hi, I have old SCO O/S. System keeps crashing. I made lot of changes to kernel but so for nothing helped. I wrote a script which takes netstat -an output every one minute. I saw some thing right before the system crashed. Not sure if this means anything.. uname -a SCO_SV djx2 3.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

netstat output

Hi Team, Below is the output of netstat -an | grep 1533 tcp 0 0 17.18.18.12:583 10.3.2.0:1533 ESTABLISHED tcp 0 0 17.18.18.12:370 10.3.2.0:1533 ESTABLISHED Below is the o/p of netstat -a | grep server_name tcp 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Girish19
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Filtering netstat command output

Hi All, I am trying to collect the listen ports info from netstat command in centos 7 From that info i am trying to collect all the foreign address IP for those ports. I am using below script to do the same. netstat -an |grep -w "LISTEN" |grep -v "127.0.0.1" |awk '{print $4}' >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani25
3 Replies
SHOREWALL-EXCLUSION(5)						  [FIXME: manual]					    SHOREWALL-EXCLUSION(5)

NAME
exclusion - Exclude a set of hosts from a definition in a shorewall configuration file. SYNOPSIS
!address-or-range[,address-or-range]... !zone-name[,zone-name]... DESCRIPTION
The first form of exclusion is used when you wish to exclude one or more addresses from a definition. An exclaimation point is followed by a comma-separated list of addresses. The addresses may be single host addresses (e.g., 192.168.1.4) or they may be network addresses in CIDR format (e.g., 192.168.1.0/24). If your kernel and iptables include iprange support, you may also specify ranges of ip addresses of the form lowaddress-highaddress No embedded whitespace is allowed. Exclusion can appear after a list of addresses and/or address ranges. In that case, the final list of address is formed by taking the first list and then removing the addresses defined in the exclusion. Beginning in Shorewall 4.4.13, the second form of exclusion is allowed after all and any in the SOURCE and DEST columns of /etc/shorewall/rules. It allows you to omit arbitrary zones from the list generated by those key words. Warning If you omit a sub-zone and there is an explicit or explicit CONTINUE policy, a connection to/from that zone can still be matched by the rule generated for a parent zone. For example: /etc/shorewall/zones: #ZONE TYPE z1 ip z2:z1 ip ... /etc/shorewall/policy: #SOURCE DEST POLICY z1 net CONTINUE z2 net REJECT /etc/shorewall/rules: #ACTION SOURCE DEST PROTO DEST # PORT(S) ACCEPT all!z2 net tcp 22 In this case, SSH connections from z2 to net will be accepted by the generated z1 to net ACCEPT rule. In most contexts, ipset names can be used as an address-or-range. Beginning with Shorewall 4.4.14, ipset lists enclosed in +[...] may also be included (see shorewall-ipsets[1] (5)). The semantics of these lists when used in an exclusion are as follows: o !+[set1,set2,...setN] produces a packet match if the packet does not match at least one of the sets. In other words, it is like NOT match set1 OR NOT match set2 ... OR NOT match setN. o +[!set1,!set2,...!setN] produces a packet match if the packet does not match any of the sets. In other words, it is like NOT match set1 AND NOT match set2 ... AND NOT match setN. EXAMPLES
Example 1 - All IPv4 addresses except 192.168.3.4 !192.168.3.4 Example 2 - All IPv4 addresses except the network 192.168.1.0/24 and the host 10.2.3.4 !192.168.1.0/24,10.1.3.4 Example 3 - All IPv4 addresses except the range 192.168.1.3-192.168.1.12 and the network 10.0.0.0/8 !192.168.1.3-192.168.1.12,10.0.0.0/8 Example 4 - The network 192.168.1.0/24 except hosts 192.168.1.3 and 192.168.1.9 192.168.1.0/24!192.168.1.3,192.168.1.9 Example 5 - All parent zones except loc any!loc FILES
/etc/shorewall/hosts /etc/shorewall/masq /etc/shorewall/rules /etc/shorewall/tcrules SEE ALSO
shorewall(8), shorewall-accounting(5), shorewall-actions(5), shorewall-blacklist(5), shorewall-hosts(5), shorewall_interfaces(5), shorewall-ipsets(5), shorewall-maclist(5), shorewall-masq(5), shorewall-nat(5), shorewall-netmap(5), shorewall-params(5), shorewall-policy(5), shorewall-providers(5), shorewall-proxyarp(5), shorewall-rtrules(5), shorewall-routestopped(5), shorewall-rules(5), shorewall.conf(5), shorewall-secmarks(5), shorewall-tcclasses(5), shorewall-tcdevices(5), shorewall-tcrules(5), shorewall-tos(5), shorewall-tunnels(5), shorewall-zones(5) NOTES
1. shorewall-ipsets http://www.shorewall.net/manpages/shorewall-ipsets.html [FIXME: source] 06/28/2012 SHOREWALL-EXCLUSION(5)