Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: clear screen
Top Forums Programming clear screen Post 25634 by hell666 on Thursday 1st of August 2002 03:33:36 PM
Old 08-01-2002
Try this:

Code:
#include <curses.h>

int  main(void)
{
     initscr();
     clear();
     refresh();
     endwin();
}

And compile with:
cc prog.c -o prog -lcurses

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to clear screen

I searched the post and someone said to clear the screen in C, use printf("\033[2J"); ?? However, this doesn't work...typo or no. What is an equivalent command to 'CLS' in DOS/'clear' in UNIX to clear the screen and go to top of screen?? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
2 Replies

2. Programming

clear screen in g++

How do I clear screen in g++ I've included curses and tried compile with lcurses as per gcc but fails, I can clear by using system("clear") but would prefer to use the curses library if possible. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear screen in NAWK

Hello guys, I wonder if it is possible to clear out the screen in AWK. I'm printing out mail messages and I would like every message starting on the beginning of the screen. When I use FOR loop and printf("\n") it clears out the screen but my text is somewhere in the middle of the screen. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: petoSVK
2 Replies

4. Programming

how to clear screen in GDB session

hi , Could any one tell me the command for clearing the screen in GDB session (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to clear history

Hi... i have one doubt pls... 1)can we clear the command line history in UNIX for a paricular login(scadm/root)if so how?. 2) can we see the time at which command executed. history is showing like : 100 display 101 lock 102 exit (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gincemathew
7 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Virtual screen accessed by Screen Sharing

Hi, I'm trying to create a virtual screen, (maybe xvfb? or any other virtual screen buffer) and be able to use Screen Sharing to connect to it. The setup is that I have a Mac Mini connected to the TV. But when my girlfriend is using Front Row, I can't use Screen Sharing at the same time from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linge
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear Screen Command for BASH shell

I am unable to use clear or cls command on bash shell. I have recently installed Cygwin and am using that for practicing unix commands. I see that I can use Ctrl + L to clear the screen. I created an alias in my .bashrc to do the same as alias cls='^L' This is how i defined other aliases ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erora
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accidentally made a screen within a screen - how to move it up one level?

I made a screen within a screen. Is there a way to move the inner screen up one level so that it is at the same level as the first screen running from the shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear specific part of the screen

I want to clear specific part of the screen. Say for example , i am running a bash script for i in {1..100} do echo "Current Record = $i" done if i use a clear command over there , it will clear my screen however when i scroll up i would have the old records , is there anyway in unix to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
5 Replies
clear(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     clear(1)

NAME
clear - clear the terminal screen SYNOPSIS
clear [-Ttype] [-V] [-x] DESCRIPTION
clear clears your screen if this is possible, including its scrollback buffer (if the extended "E3" capability is defined). clear looks in the environment for the terminal type given by the environment variable TERM, and then in the terminfo database to determine how to clear the screen. clear writes to the standard output. You can redirect the standard output to a file (which prevents clear from actually clearing the screen), and later cat the file to the screen, clearing it at that point. OPTIONS
-T type indicates the type of terminal. Normally this option is unnecessary, because the default is taken from the environment variable TERM. If -T is specified, then the shell variables LINES and COLUMNS will also be ignored. -V reports the version of ncurses which was used in this program, and exits. The options are as follows: -x do not attempt to clear the terminal's scrollback buffer using the extended "E3" capability. HISTORY
A clear command appeared in 2.79BSD dated February 24, 1979. Later that was provided in Unix 8th edition (1985). AT&T adapted a different BSD program (tset) to make a new command (tput), and used this to replace the clear command with a shell script which calls tput clear, e.g., /usr/bin/tput ${1:+-T$1} clear 2> /dev/null exit In 1989, when Keith Bostic revised the BSD tput command to make it similar to the AT&T tput, he added a shell script for the clear command: exec tput clear The remainder of the script in each case is a copyright notice. The ncurses clear command began in 1995 by adapting the original BSD clear command (with terminfo, of course). The E3 extension came later: o In June 1999, xterm provided an extension to the standard control sequence for clearing the screen. Rather than clearing just the vis- ible part of the screen using printf '33[2J' one could clear the scrollback using printf '33[3J' This is documented in XTerm Control Sequences as a feature originating with xterm. o A few other terminal developers adopted the feature, e.g., PuTTY in 2006. o In April 2011, a Red Hat developer submitted a patch to the Linux kernel, modifying its console driver to do the same thing. The Linux change, part of the 3.0 release, did not mention xterm, although it was cited in the Red Hat bug report (#683733) which led to the change. o Again, a few other terminal developers adopted the feature. But the next relevant step was a change to the clear program in 2013 to incorporate this extension. o In 2013, the E3 extension was overlooked in tput with the "clear" parameter. That was addressed in 2016 by reorganizing tput to share its logic with clear and tset. PORTABILITY
Neither IEEE Std 1003.1/The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 7 (POSIX.1-2008) nor X/Open Curses Issue 7 documents tset or reset. The latter documents tput, which could be used to replace this utility either via a shell script or by an alias (such as a symbolic link) to run tput as clear. SEE ALSO
tput(1), terminfo(5) This describes ncurses version 6.1 (patch 20180127). clear(1)