Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can I use Unix and Windos NT on a PC? Post 25269 by photon on Friday 26th of July 2002 02:00:56 PM
Old 07-26-2002
Being in the same situation as your self three years ago. I bought the Redhat Linux package. This package is great it shows you how to partition your hard drive and install without all the aggravation.

Later I put a boot script to pick which O/S I wanted at startup:

*Windows
*Linux

Linux Redhat was also a great starter for learning Unix. I have just recently purchased a Solaris. I now have the two networked. If you want to learn networking, I suggest you start out as I did. First go with Linux and then get another better machine (more money).

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX problem? Unix programm runs windows 2000 CPU over 100%

Okee problems...!! What is happening: Unix server with some programms, workstations are windows 2000, the workstations work good but when you start a programm on the Unix server the CPU of the workstations go to 100% usage resulting that the system gets very slow. The programm well its running so... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script for sending a file from one unix directory to another unix server director

Hi, My local server is :/usr/abcd/ Remote server is :/Usr/host/test/ I want to send files from local unix directory(All files starting with O_999) to remote host unix directory. Can any body give me the Unix Shell script to do this. One more doubt: Shall we need to change the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raja_1234
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch job in unix server to move the pdf file from unix to windows.

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to setup a batch job which runs everymonth and move the pdf files from unix server to windows servers. Could some body provide the inputs for this. and also please provide the inputs on how to map the network dirve in the unix like that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ger199901
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ?

How does unix system administration, unix programming, unix network programming differ? Please help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Transfer from Window server to UNIX and UNIX to UNIX

Dear All, Can someone help to command or program to transfer the file from windows to Unix server and from one unix server to another Unix server in secure way. I would request no samba client. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
4 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

VIP Membership - The UNIX and Linux Forums - Get Your UNIX.COM Email Address Here

We work hard to make The UNIX and Linux Forums one of the best UNIX and Linux knowledge sources on the net. The site is certainly one of the top UNIX and Linux Q&A sites on the web. In order to provide certain members the best quality account services, you can now get some great extra features by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
ELILO(8)                                                      System Manager's Manual                                                     ELILO(8)

NAME
elilo - install EFI boot loader SYNOPSIS
elilo [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the elilo command, which was written specifically for the Debian distribution to simplify configuring and using the elilo.efi bootloader. There are two parts to elilo, the bootloader itself and this utility which installs or updates a bootload configuration. The primary function of elilo is to copy files necessary for booting Debian GNU/Linux from the main filesystem to a subdirectory /EFI/debian on the boot partition. These include elilo.efi, elilo.conf, and the kernel and ramdisk images referenced by elilo.conf. In addition, elilo can create a default configuration file, /etc/elilo.conf, and can invoke efibootmgr to create an entry in the EFI Boot Manager menu such that a system will autoboot in to Debian GNU/Linux on power up. elilo requires a couple of extra parameters in elilo.conf that elio.efi does not currently support. These are needed so that a normal run of elilo with no parameters can find the elilo.efi binary and boot partition in order to rebuild it. They are: install=<path to elilo.efi> boot=<boot partition> OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). -b, --boot set bootstrap partition device [ -b /dev/sda1 ] -i, --install pathname to the actual bootloader binary, default: /usr/{local/}lib/elilo/elilo.efi -C, --config use alternate configuration file [ -C config_file ] --autoconf auto-generate a /etc/elilo.conf. Typically only used during system installation. In normal use, an elilo.conf file already exists and will not be modified by elilo. --efiboot elilo auto configuration: create an efi boot manager entry for elilo. This option requires that the efibootmgr package also be installed. --timeout elilo auto configuration: sets the time elilo will wait for user input before booting default image default: 20 (2 seconds) --image elilo auto configuration: sets the path to the kernel image. default: /vmlinuz --label elilo auto configuration: sets the image label default: Linux --root elilo auto configuration: sets the root device default: /dev/sda3 --format create a new FAT filesystem on the boot partition. Use this cautiously if you have more than one operating system installed, and they may be sharing the same EFI partition! -v, --verbose make elilo more verbose --debug print boring junk only useful for debugging -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit FILES
/etc/elilo.conf /usr/lib/elilo/elilo.efi SEE ALSO
efibootmgr(8) Additional information about elilo is available in the /usr/share/doc/elilo directory. AUTHOR
The elilo program and this manual page were written by Richard Hirst <rhirst@linuxcare.com> and Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> as additions to the elilo bootloader package from Stephane Eranian <eranian@hpl.hp.com> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 18 Mar 2002 ELILO(8)