Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Print to file in UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Print to file in UNIX Post 25152 by kristy on Thursday 25th of July 2002 12:20:12 PM
Old 07-25-2002
Print to file in UNIX

I ask this about a Tru64 system that I do not have access to...

Is it possible to use lpr to print to file?

Taking for granted that the default print in /etc/printcap has HP PCL filters, how can I create a PCL file from text?

Thanks,
kristy

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print a Graphics File using a SCO Unix Command

I'm using SCO_SV release 3.2v5.0.7 and would like to know how to print a Graphics file (a .tif file) to a HPLaserJet printer using a SCO unix command. I've used nothing but the 'lp' command to print reports to different printers. (I found an answer, I did a find for tiff* and came up with the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_93630
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

Print Problem in UNIX. Need to know the option to specify the print paper size

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the option available in UNIX to print by specifying the paper size? We are using Unix11i. I could n't see any option specified in the 'lp' command to print the report by specifying the size of the paper. It would be of great help to me, if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukarthik
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help to print text file in unix system

I am using SCO Unix to print text file. But the word size is too large, it is always over page (A4) when I print. Does Any one know how to use command change word size and make it fit on the page to print text file. I use command: lp -d (printer name) textFileName (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wendyz
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix help to find blank lines in a file and print numbers on that line

Hi, I would like to know how to solve one of my problems using expert unix commands. I have a file with occasional blank lines; for example; dertu frthu fghtu frtty frtgy frgtui frgtu ghrye frhutp frjuf I need to edit the file so that the file looks like this; (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to print a PDF file in UNIX

on a PROGRESS environment, i create an invoice which at printing it must generate both the .dat for the invoice that was sent to the printer and the .dat for the PDF version. we have never printed PDF files in our lp printer until recently. i've done a bit of googling and it comes down to that i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdf2ps
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to print the column that contains a string in delimited file in unix

Hi Team, I have a requirement to print the column or find the column number of a particular string in delimited (;) file. Ex: aaa;bbb;ccc;rrr;mmm; gggg;rrr;mmmm;ssss;eee;aaa; ccc;gggg;tttt;bbbb;dddd;ggggg;rrr; my file contains 1000+ rows like above example with semicolon... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print logs in unix prompt or to a log file?

I am executing a stored procedure through shell script. In the procedure, i have dbms_output.put_line to log the comments. This is working fine and but logs are available only after the execution of the pl/sql procedure's completion. I want to print the log comments while executing the procedure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX help to print 50 lines after every 3rd occurrence pattern till end of file

I need help with extract/print lines till stop pattern. This needs to happen after every 3rd occurrence of start pattern and continue till end of file. Consider below is an example of the log file. my start pattern will be every 3rd occurrence of ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND and stop pattern will be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: NSS
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies
lpr(1)							      Easy Software Products							    lpr(1)

NAME
lpr - print files SYNOPSIS
lpr [ -E ] [ -P destination ] [ -# num-copies [ -l ] [ -o option ] [ -p] [ -r ] [ -C/J/T title ] [ file(s) ] DESCRIPTION
lpr submits files for printing. Files named on the command line are sent to the named printer (or the system default destination if no des- tination is specified). If no files are listed on the command-line lpr reads the print file from the standard input. OPTIONS
The following options are recognized by lpr: -E Forces encryption when connecting to the server. -P destination Prints files to the named printer. -# copies Sets the number of copies to print from 1 to 100. -C name Sets the job name. -J name Sets the job name. -T name Sets the job name. -l Specifies that the print file is already formatted for the destination and should be sent without filtering. This option is equivalent to "-oraw". -o option Sets a job option. -p Specifies that the print file should be formatted with a shaded header with the date, time, job name, and page number. This option is equivalent to "-oprettyprint" and is only useful when printing text files. -r Specifies that the named print files should be deleted after printing them. COMPATIBILITY
The "c", "d", "f", "g", "i", "m", "n", "t", "v", and "w" options are not supported by CUPS and will produce a warning message if used. SEE ALSO
cancel(1), lp(1), lpstat(1), CUPS Software Users Manual, http://localhost:631/documentation.html COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1993-2002 by Easy Software Products, All Rights Reserved. 23 January 2001 Common UNIX Printing System lpr(1)