Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dns and resolv.conf
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers dns and resolv.conf Post 25082 by RTM on Wednesday 24th of July 2002 11:10:46 AM
Old 07-24-2002
Okay, I checked and the nameserver you had listed is running DNS.

> server 217.37.41.254
Default Server: host217-37-41-254.in-addr.btopenworld.com
Address: 217.37.41.254

> set class=chaos
> set type=txt
> version.bind.
Server: host217-37-41-254.in-addr.btopenworld.com
Address: 217.37.41.254

VERSION.BIND text = "8.3.3-REL"

Please give some more information:

1. Is this a new install - first time trying to get the unix server on the internet?
2. Can you ping 217.37.41.254 ?
3. Can you ping other hosts on your network (if any)?

The network card being used with a IP address that corresponds to your network - is that part of the 217.37.41 subnet? (Removing the card would probably not be needed.) It's possible that a route is needed - how are you connected to the bt router?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

/etc/resolv.conf

I am new to unix. I have edited the /etc/resolv.conf. It shows domain name ip address ip address These are the same ips of the dns I use for windows. Still I get no name resolution on the internet. I can ping external ip's is there anything else I need to check? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rpnhavoc
1 Replies

2. SuSE

Suse 10 resolv.conf

I want to have 7 search domains in my resolv.conf, but it seems to like only the first six. I read somewhere that the OS will only recognize the first 6 (or the first 154 characters). Is that the case with SUSE 10? thx -Kevin (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

resolv.conf

HI ALL I am making a script,That will does the following,I am in search of ideas 1.Script will comment all existing the entries in resolve.conf 2.Add new entries like this abc.example.com 192.168.1.x I can use sed to add comment. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resolv.conf

Hi everyone A quick question during a audit this was determined to be a security issue In the resolv.conf there is a “.” At the end of the domain name Like this domain mydomain.com. I which to understand the function or significance of the . thk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
3 Replies

5. AIX

resolv.conf and DNS configration

Guys, I have enabled the resolv.conf to be configured with our DNS Network and it's configured when I ping any hostname in my Network from the server it's giving me the hostname of that machine (witch mean it's working fine ) but I‘m facing slowness in my connection when I rename... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
13 Replies

6. Ubuntu

resolv.conf

Hi, My resolv.conf keeps overwritten. I want to have it to just keep the setting that I put in there. I tried a few solutions I found using google. like supersede domain-name "xxx", prepend domain-name-servers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; This does'nt work. I also tried to just chmod the file to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jld
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

Issue on resolv.conf

Hi all, :( I am facing issue while I have updated in resolv.conf, after nework service restart, it was automatically deleted IP from resolv.conf file. Could you please let me know what is the reason resolv.conf deleted any IP which I have manually updated, but it store only my router IP... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradipta Kumar
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS server - /etc/resolv.conf file issue

Hi, Am trying to configure DNS server and trying to keep the information in /etc/resolv.conf file as: search server nameserver 192.168.0.10 when i restart the network service with #service network restart, resolv.conf file is changing as: nameserver 192.168.0.10 search server -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
5 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Resolv.conf not getting updated regularly!

Hi All! I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with LXDE. This is office's allocated laptop. I have a problem here now, my /etc/resolv.conf file is not getting updated automatically whenever I am switching network, i.e. home or office. I have to do it manually every-time, I manually input the office's DNS,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Configure resolv.conf and nsswitch.conf

Hi, I've installed Solaris 11.3(live media) and configured DNS. Everytime I reboot the server, resolv.conf got deleted and it created a new nsswitch.conf. I used below to configure both settings: # svccfg -s dns/client svc:/network/dns/client> setprop config/nameserver = (xx.xx.xx.aa... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flexihopper18
1 Replies
BPTRACE(1)							  BP executables							BPTRACE(1)

NAME
bptrace - Bundle Protocol (BP) network trace utility SYNOPSIS
bptrace own_endpoint_ID destination_endpoint_ID report-to_endpoint_ID TTL class_of_service "trace_text" [status_report_flags] DESCRIPTION
bptrace uses bp_send() to issue a single bundle to a designated destination endpoint, with status reporting options enabled as selected by the user, then terminates. The status reports returned as the bundle makes its way through the network provide a view of the operation of the network as currently configured. TTL indicates the number of seconds the trace bundle may remain in the network, undelivered, before it is automatically destroyed. class_of_service is custody-requested.priority[.ordinal[.unreliable.critical[.flow-label]]], where custody-requested must be 0 or 1 (Boolean), priority must be 0 (bulk) or 1 (standard) or 2 (expedited), ordinal must be 0-254, unreliable must be 0 or 1 (Boolean), critical must also be 0 or 1 (Boolean), and flow-label may be any unsigned integer. ordinal is ignored if priority is not 2. Setting class_of_service to "0.2.254" or "1.2.254" gives a bundle the highest possible priority. Setting unreliable to 1 causes BP to forego retransmission in the event of data loss, both at the BP layer and at the convergence layer. Setting critical to 1 causes contact graph routing to forward the bundle on all plausible routes rather than just the "best" route it computes; this may result in multiple copies of the bundle arriving at the destination endpoint, but when used in conjunction with priority 2.254 it ensures that the bundle will be delivered as soon as physically possible. trace_text can be any string of ASCII text; alternatively, if we want to send a file, it can be "@" followed by the file name. status_report_flags must be a sequence of status report flags, separated by commas, with no embedded whitespace. Each status report flag must be one of the following: rcv, ct, fwd, dlv, del. EXIT STATUS
0 bptrace has terminated. FILES
No configuration files are needed. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables apply. DIAGNOSTICS
The following diagnostics may be issued to the ion.log log file: bptrace can't attach to BP. bpadmin has not yet initialized BP operations. bptrace can't open own endpoint. Another BP application task currently has own_endpoint_ID open for bundle origination and reception. Try again after that task has terminated. If no such task exists, it may have crashed while still holding the endpoint open; the easiest workaround is to select a different source endpoint. No space for bptrace text. Probably an unrecoverable database error, in which case the local ION node must be terminated and re-initialized. bptrace can't create ZCO. Probably an unrecoverable database error, in which case the local ION node must be terminated and re-initialized. bptrace can't send message. BP system error. Check for earlier diagnostic messages describing the cause of the error; correct problem and rerun. BUGS
Report bugs to <ion-bugs@korgano.eecs.ohiou.edu> SEE ALSO
bp(3) perl v5.14.2 2012-05-25 BPTRACE(1)