Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 2 Simple Questions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 2 Simple Questions Post 25044 by champion on Tuesday 23rd of July 2002 11:27:19 PM
Old 07-24-2002
2 Simple Questions

Hi,

I am a dummy in unix. I have 2 simple questions.

1) I am the adminstrator. I want to set a alias that applied to all the users. I do not want to update each user's .profile or .cshrc file.

So is there a way to update it in one file so that it applies to all users ?

Example : I want to make an alias :
alias cls 'clear'

So where am I going to set it so that it applies to all users ?

2) My unix is SunOS 5.8. But what is the Solaris version like Solaris 2.5.1. How am I going to find out my Solaris version?

Please tell me the command.

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep questions

Hi all, My boss wants me to find out how often e-m users are accessing their account:confused:. The mail server keeps log of all logins. I want to use grep the 'usernames', but it should come out the moment it first encounters the username in the log. Can I do that? I want to avoid 10+ greps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple questions

hi, i am a total dummy of unix. i want to find out the following information from my Sun Solaris 8 Unix machine: 1) The command to display physical and virtual memory 2) The command to display the CPU 3) The command to display the total harddisk space. thank u very much and have a nice... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

2 simple questions the linux pros will be able to get. Pleese help!

Allright the situation is that i have a dual boot set up with windows xp and red hat 9.0. the problem is that my modem and sound card dont work with linux. I found a driver, and i have to download it with xp. My question is..... How do i actually copy the file to the linux... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nregenwether
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple ed questions - insert line with dot

Hi I've got a trivial question on using ed (yes, I know, other editors are better!) How do I insert a line that is just a single dot? (That is, how do I insert a line that starts with a dot and then new line) Thanks Peter (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peterl
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple make file questions....i think, thnx

Hello, I'm a noob when comes to make files.... My intentions for the use of my make file are not that of a usual compilation, etc. It is simply to copy some files from a RCS controlled area to a public area which has read rights only for a web page. My dilemma comes in the form of sub... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roxydogg28
0 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Print questions from a questions folder in a sequential order

1.) I am to write scripts that will be phasetest folder in the home directory. 2.) The folder should have a set-up,phase and display files I have written a small script which i used to check for the existing users and their password. What I need help with: I have a set of questions in a... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: moraks007
19 Replies

7. Solaris

Two simple questions about Solaris DCHP and Samba

I have two simple questions First is :can dhcp server NATIVE of solaris perform dhcp updates of bind via dnssec like dchpd on linux? Second: Is possible to build a pdc with samba and iplanet ldap server?Or is better with openldap? I never found howto or discussions about iplanet server. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
0 Replies

8. AIX

Simple AWK cleanup/questions AIX

I have an unfortunate need to redo a bunch of disk settings on a VIOS on AIX, so I was putting together a quick script to scrub everything it has, make the changes, and then put the mappings back. It works, I just am trying to get my awk a bit more up-to-snuff and wanted to know the proper way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

9. AIX

Simple questions about LPARs

Hello, I am looking into virtualizing AIX 7.1 on our p7 machine that already has AIX 7.1 installed on it. I have a few questions about them: 1) In order to gain LPAR functionality, do I need to purchase PowerVM software? 2) I read that LPARs are managed from locally attached graphical... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bstring
1 Replies
Pod::Simple::TextContent(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			     Pod::Simple::TextContent(3pm)

NAME
Pod::Simple::TextContent -- get the text content of Pod SYNOPSIS
TODO perl -MPod::Simple::TextContent -e "exit Pod::Simple::TextContent->filter(shift)->any_errata_seen" thingy.pod DESCRIPTION
This class is that parses Pod and dumps just the text content. It is mainly meant for use by the Pod::Simple test suite, but you may find some other use for it. This is a subclass of Pod::Simple and inherits all its methods. SEE ALSO
Pod::Simple, Pod::Simple::Text, Pod::Spell SUPPORT
Questions or discussion about POD and Pod::Simple should be sent to the pod-people@perl.org mail list. Send an empty email to pod-people-subscribe@perl.org to subscribe. This module is managed in an open GitHub repository, http://github.com/theory/pod-simple/ <http://github.com/theory/pod-simple/>. Feel free to fork and contribute, or to clone git://github.com/theory/pod-simple.git <git://github.com/theory/pod-simple.git> and send patches! Patches against Pod::Simple are welcome. Please send bug reports to <bug-pod-simple@rt.cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT AND DISCLAIMERS
Copyright (c) 2002 Sean M. Burke. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty; without even the implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. AUTHOR
Pod::Simple was created by Sean M. Burke <sburke@cpan.org>. But don't bother him, he's retired. Pod::Simple is maintained by: o Allison Randal "allison@perl.org" o Hans Dieter Pearcey "hdp@cpan.org" o David E. Wheeler "dwheeler@cpan.org" perl v5.12.1 2010-05-07 Pod::Simple::TextContent(3pm)