Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers why the PATH can not be set correctly? Post 25035 by peter.herlihy on Tuesday 23rd of July 2002 06:01:19 PM
Old 07-23-2002
Is the path change you made still around for the root user?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couldn't set locale correctly

When a user connects via ssh to one of out Sun V120 boxes the following message is displayed. "couldn't set locale correctly" The .profile has the following line # @(#)local.profile 1.6 98/02/06 SMI stty istrip stty erase ^H So I put a set -x in the .profile and re sourced it and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mattd
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh2: .profile not set correctly

When logging into solaris box through ssh, my profile does not get set correctly and I'm presented with the default ksh prompt "$". When logging in through telnet, everything is set correctly. Is there a special profile that sshd runs? ssh2: F-Secure SSH 2.4.0 (build 15) on sparc-sun-solaris2.8 (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I set the public keys up correctly for a migration from an HP-UNIX server to I

I am getting the error message "Permission denied (publickey). lost connection" when I attempt to do an scp migration. I know how to generate the public keys in both IIS and UNIX, and I believe they are both suppose to have the same public key - but where are they each suppose to be stored (I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: whs2k
1 Replies

4. Solaris

hi All, I'm using sun OS 5.10. All locales are set to en_US.ISO8859-1 in /etc/profile/init file. I'm using one functional user.When I tried to "sesu - functionalUser",its giving me error like "Couldn't set locale correctly".In functional user profile i'm tring to set locales to en_US.After... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kathraji
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Hello, I have a recently configured machine that when log into it as a user or remotely as root it displays "Couldn't set locale correctly" When I type locale it displays the below which is wrong compared to other machines LC_CTYPE="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_COLLATE="C"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr Pink
7 Replies

6. Solaris

couldn't set locale correctly

Dear All, I Have problem at my console (Ultra 24, solaris 10 x86), when i type dmesg always come out : like this You have new mail. root@console # bash root@console # dmesg couldn't set locale correctly couldn't set locale correctly So how to fix it...? Best Regards simbah (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbah_jiman
3 Replies

7. Solaris

LC_ALL & LANG are set OK, but others couldn't set locale correctly.

Hi, I have a Solaris (SunOS 5.10) installed, by default with the en_AU.UTF-8 locale. I want to change it to en_US.UTF-8 With AU, I have no issues whatsoever, so I installed the language package and now locale -a shows "en_US.UTF-8". Problem is even with LC_ALL set in etc/default/init, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't add directory to path correctly

Hello everyone I am a newcomer to UNIX and I have hit a snag in something that would probably take experienced people about 30 seconds. Long story short I am trying to add a directory to my PATH and it is getting added but not working. I mean, the object of adding it to the path is so I can access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybrownies
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path set

Something changed on my unix box. Now when I log in it is showing entire path. It used to show only $ prompt before. I know I need to do something in .profile to show only $ prompt Could you please tell me what I should do, to show only $ prompt. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raopatwari
4 Replies

10. SCO

Set NIC correctly , but the network does not work

I'm trying to virtualize an instance of SCO Open Server 5.0.2c in VirtualBox (called VM- A) , I can not configure the network (NIC). The NIC I'm using is PCnet -FAST III (Am79C973 ) (this NIC works with VirtualBox + SCO 5.0.5M) When I add from ' Add new LAN adapter' I detects the NIC... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
2 Replies
chroot(1M)																chroot(1M)

NAME
chroot - change root directory for a command SYNOPSIS
newroot command DESCRIPTION
The command executes command relative to the newroot. The meaning of any initial slashes in path names is changed for command and any of its children to newroot. Furthermore, the initial working directory is newroot. Note that command suffixes that affect input or output for the command use the original root, not the new root. For example, the command: locates file relative to the original root, not the new one. The command variable includes both the command name and any arguments. The new root path name is always relative to the current root. Even if a is currently in effect, the newroot argument is relative to the current root of the running process. This command is restricted to users with appropriate privileges. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
command cannot be in a shell script. Exercise extreme caution when referring to special files in the new root file system. does not search the environment variable for the location of command, so the absolute path name of command must be given. When using to establish a new environment, all absolute path name references to the file system are lost, rendering shared libraries inac- cessible. If continued access to shared libraries is needed for correct operation, the shared libraries and the dynamic loader be copied into the new root environment. SEE ALSO
chdir(2), chroot(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
chroot(1M)