Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Importing a unix file dump into a PC capable database Post 25001 by Marc Rochkind on Tuesday 23rd of July 2002 11:23:25 AM
Old 07-23-2002
Some comments:

1) However the conversion/translation is done, you want to do it using an on-the-fly approach, not by building a giant data structure (XML or whatever) that contains all the data. If you are using XML, there are two general approaches that are used: one builds a tree, and the other processes the XML piecewise. You want the latter.

2) Some more information about the eventual resting place would be helpful. Do you have a single relation defined with 4000-or-so columns?

3) Assuming a simple table such as #2, what I would think about is writing simple program to turn the original file into a sequence of DML INSERT statements to load the database.

I could help you figure this out if I had more information about the input, the database schema, and the tools available. If you want, you can contact me offline.
Marc Rochkind

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

importing database from unix to winnt

i am a unix-super-beginner (swaddled and weaned on windows) and am trying to import a database from a unix directory into winnt. can someone help me or am i a hopeless case? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sadiecutie
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

building flat files in unix and importing them from windows

what is a flat file in unix? i have to import a unix flat files from windows based programme. my question is not to export from unix but only to import from windows only. how to build that flat files? how to create export to windows how to import from windows (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tunirayavarapu
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

writing database tables into a file in unix

I want to collect the database tables(Ex: Emp,Sal,Bonus...etc) in a file & give this file at the command prompt, when prompted for the tables list at command prompt. How can i do that ? Ex:- Import jason/jason1 tables=emp,sal,bonus log=j1.log i want to change this into Ex:- Import... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Importing dump file

Hi, I am trying to import 22 .dmp files but facing the problem with the last table file it never ends the import command, only the table is created but the rows of the table don't get imported. This is the problem with only ine table rest 21 tables are being imported properly. Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushilrai
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting dump from database by UNIX script

can i make a dump to happen from my script in a databse.and download that dump. I want to schedule a script i cron so that i will make a dump and download that inot my server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Import dump to database

Hi... I have dump in unix machine...How can I this import dump to Oracle database? Many thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: agarwal
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Importing R cosine similarity to UNIX?

I really need help in this :( I have a file and would like to calculate the cosine similarity of the values in it... For now I do use R which has an easy function for doing so test <- as.matrix(read.csv(file="file.csv", sep=",", header=FALSE)) result<- cosine(t(test)) I am using unix of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
3 Replies

8. Boot Loaders

Is Unetbootin capable of making any iso file bootable

1)It is a great experience to achieve what I got today. I had downloaded GParted iso file (135 MB size). Now to make a bootable usb of it, I used unetbootin and to surprise I succeded in entering Gparted application and modified my partitions. Earlier I was in a notion that it is used only for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
0 Replies

9. AIX

Issue while importing Oracle Dump File on AIX 5.3

Hi All, I am facing one problem related to importing Oracle Dump file. We have two different version of AIX boxes with oracle (version 10.2.0.4.0) installed. On one AIX box (version 6.1) we are creating oracle dump file (*.dmp) using oracle exp utility and importing it onto another AIX box... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gunjan_thakur
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Load a file from UNIX into database

Hi, I want your help to see if there is a way wherein we can load a set of files which are lying in unix server into my database using sql loader. Also the person who will be running sql loader does not have access to unix system. So is there a way i can provide any sql loader script wherein... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
1 Replies
Dumper(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						 Dumper(3)

NAME
XML::Dumper - Perl module for dumping Perl objects from/to XML SYNOPSIS
# Convert Perl code to XML use XML::Dumper; my $dump = new XML::Dumper; $data = [ { first => 'Jonathan', last => 'Eisenzopf', email => 'eisen@pobox.com' }, { first => 'Larry', last => 'Wall', email => 'larry@wall.org' } ]; $xml = $dump->pl2xml($perl); # Convert XML to Perl code use XML::Dumper; my $dump = new XML::Dumper; # some XML my $xml = <<XML; <perldata> <scalar>foo</scalar> </perldata> XML # load Perl data structure from dumped XML $data = $dump->xml2pl($Tree); DESCRIPTION
XML::Dumper dumps Perl data to a structured XML format. XML::Dumper can also read XML data that was previously dumped by the module and convert it back to Perl. This is done via the following 2 methods: XML::Dumper::pl2xml XML::Dumper::xml2pl AUTHOR
Jonathan Eisenzopf <eisen@pobox.com> CREDITS
Chris Thorman <ct@ignitiondesign.com> L.M.Orchard <deus_x@pobox.com> DeWitt Clinton <dewitt@eziba.com> SEE ALSO
perl(1), XML::Parser(3). perl v5.8.0 1999-06-20 Dumper(3)