Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is the command to copy a file Post 2500 by jwbrown on Wednesday 16th of May 2001 05:22:41 PM
Old 05-16-2001
There are various ones depending on your os but docs.sun.com is good for Solaris info.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for copy file from CD to Linux box

Hi , I have simple question as i am beginner , I have to copy one file from cd(compact disc) to my linux box on some directory. With which command and how can i do that? Thanks sam71 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam70
2 Replies

2. Programming

Command for copy a file from one server to another server

hi, which Command is used for copy a file from one server to another server, please provide the syntax and give one small example... Thanks in advance sarwan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarwan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy file command, why?, how?

scp /path/to/file <username>@<Other Server>:/path/to/newfile If my file is named "Bob" and it is in my user "Accountant" and in a directory named "Invoice_folder"... How would this look in the above? I can't seem to understand the logic of the above scp. MOVING FILE FROM LOCATION #1: /path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: woody62
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy a command string from the command line

How can we copy a command string from a previous command line and paste it into the cursor position on the current command line? I know that ^c will not work as the shell will interpret as an interrupt signal. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with using grep command with copy command

Hi, im taking an entry Unix class, and as part of my lab assignment I have to copy all files in the /home/david/lab3 directory that have the file extension .save to your lab3/temp directory. I'm having trouble getting the grep to do anything worth while I've been trying to do: cp... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Critical jeff
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with copy command

Hello, I have a directory in which I have files as follows CRDT.csv CRDT.csv.1 CRDT.csv.2 .... CRDT.csv.n I would like to copy it over to another directory as crdt_lon.csv crdt_lon.csv.1 crdt_lon.csv.2 .... crdt_lon.csv.n I am looking for a one line command but I am... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srattani
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Faster command for file copy than cp ?

we have 30 GB files on our filesystem which we need to copy daily to 25 location on the same machine (but different filesystem). cp is taking 20 min to do the copy and we have 5 different thread doing the copy. so in all its taking around 2 hr and we need to reduce it. Is there any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipra_31
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Preseed command to copy a file to /root directory

I was hoping to edit the command below to copy a file "start.bin" from the install cd to /root on the installation machine. d-i preseed/late_command string \ wget -O /target/root/start.bin 'http://abc.start.bin' \ && in-target chmod 755 /root/start.bin \ My best guess is it would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmunoz
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies
virt-copy-out(1)					      Virtualization Support						  virt-copy-out(1)

NAME
virt-copy-out - Copy files and directories out of a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-copy-out -a disk.img /file|dir [/file|dir ...] localdir virt-copy-out -d domain /file|dir [/file|dir ...] localdir DESCRIPTION
"virt-copy-out" copies files and directories out of a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. You can give one of more filenames and directories on the command line. Directories are copied out recursively. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a virtual machine: mkdir homes virt-copy-out -d MyGuest /home homes JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "copy-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-copy-out(1)