Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Has my script finished?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Has my script finished? Post 24997 by crazykelso on Tuesday 23rd of July 2002 09:39:03 AM
Old 07-23-2002
if your still looking

Instead of searching for a process number you could have your script create a message file when the script is finished running.
EX:

echo 'finished' > /tmp/finished

If you do this you will have to edit the begining of the script also. You will have to search for the created file and if it doesn't exist stop the process from running again if it does remove it and continue running the script.

*NOTE: it is important to remove the file BEFORE running the script again.

General outline:

search for /tmp/finished

if (not there)
then
quit process
else
rm /tmp/finished and run process
fi

echo 'finished' > /tmp/finished

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Finding Out When A Process Has Finished?

Problem I have an application which basically runs lots of UNIX programs remotely, using the Telnet protocol. For each program it remotely executes, it stores the process ID (PID) for that process. At regular intervals, I would like my application to take the PID for every process still... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1cuervo
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job finished notification

In my last job someone gave me the command to put in my .profile that let me know when a job I had running in the background finished. It was a word about 5 char long. I can't remember it! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkeller
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

** Finished ** Syncid.rc

So, the script I've been working on, since I was starting to learn Shell scripting is now complete. This was coded in ksh, and I am very proud of it. What this script does, is syncs up uid's across the network. So if you have 10 servers, with 10 usernames with different UID's - this will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syndex
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to know a executable has finished his task

Hi frnds, I want to know is there a way by which we can know that a C++ executable has finished its job in shell script. My task is as follows: 1.Shell script calls a executable 2.Executable executes and performs its job of generating some reports. Now i want my shell script to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: electroon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I know all processes are finished?

Hi all, I am writing a C shell script that starts a program. The program forks of several child processes. Only when all child processes are done, I want to archive my log files. Below is what I have so far, but unfortunately it doesn't work. MyProgram if (-e processes.txt) then rm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carla
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if file finished to copy

Hi all, I have a script that is monitoring a hot folder. This script works fine with one exception when the script is executed while a file is being copied to the hot folder. What is the easiest method to check if the copy file is completed? I'd like to get the solution in bash :) (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gigagigosu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to proceed when curl is finished

I have a script which uses cli curl to download the source code of a webpage and then tests if a specific string exists in the source. The problem is that the website has a slow response, so the eval expression hasn't completed when the test starts. The test returns a negative, and the curl... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait until firefox has finished

I am running a macro script from the command line. But the script doesn't wait until the task has finished. firefox imacros://run/?m=macro_script.iim firefox imacros://run/?m=macro_script2.iim How do I get it to wait until the macro has been completed? I am using imacros, a firefox... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make sure that sub shells have finished before moving on?

Hello, I have a script that is running multiple instances of an application in parallel. # learn on f0 emergent -nogui -p $ScriptLoc/$PROJ fold_tag=f0 & sleep 5 # learn on f1 emergent -nogui -p $ScriptLoc/$PROJ fold_tag=f1 & sleep 5 # learn on f2 emergent -nogui -p... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Script to manage background scripts (running, finished, exit code)

Heyas, Since this question (similar) occur every now and then, and given the fact i was thinking about it just recently (1-2 weeks) anyway, i started to write something :p The last point for motivation was... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
17 Replies
ANACRONTAB(5)							   File Formats 						     ANACRONTAB(5)

NAME
/etc/anacrontab - configuration file for Anacron DESCRIPTION
The /etc/anacrontab configuration file describes the jobs controlled by anacron(8). It can contain three types of lines: job-description lines, environment assignments, or empty lines. Job-description lines can have the following format: period in days delay in minutes job-identifier command The period in days variable specifies the frequency of execution of a job in days. This variable can be represented by an integer or a macro (@daily, @weekly, @monthly), where @daily denotes the same value as the integer 1, @weekly the same as 7, and @monthly specifies that the job is run once a month, independent on the length of the month. The delay in minutes variable specifies the number of minutes anacron waits, if necessary, before executing a job. This variable is repre- sented by an integer where 0 means no delay. The job-identifier variable specifies a unique name of a job which is used in the log files. The command variable specifies the command to execute. The command can either be a command such as ls /proc >> /tmp/proc or a command to execute a custom script. Environment assignment lines can have the following format: VAR=VALUE Any spaces around VAR are removed. No spaces around VALUE are allowed (unless you want them to be part of the value). The specified assignment takes effect from the next line until the end of the file, or to the next assignment of the same variable. The START_HOURS_RANGE variable defines an interval (in hours) when scheduled jobs can be run. In case this time interval is missed, for example, due to a power down, then scheduled jobs are not executed that day. The RANDOM_DELAY variable denotes the maximum number of minutes that will be added to the delay in minutes variable which is specified for each job. A RANDOM_DELAY set to 12 would therefore add, randomly, between 0 and 12 minutes to the delay in minutes for each job in that particular anacrontab. When set to 0, no random delay is added. Empty lines are either blank lines, line containing white spaces only, or lines with white spaces followed by a '#' followed by an arbi- trary comment. You can continue a line onto the next line by adding a '' at the end of it. In case you want to disable Anacron, add the 0anacron cron job (which is a part of crontab(1)) into the /etc/cron.hourly/jobs.deny direc- tory. EXAMPLE
This example shows how to set up an Anacron job similar in functionality to /etc/crontab which starts all regular jobs between 6:00 and 8:00 only. A RANDOM_DELAY which can be 30 minutes at the most is specified. Jobs will run serialized in a queue where each job is started only after the previous one is finished. # environment variables SHELL=/bin/sh PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MAILTO=root RANDOM_DELAY=30 # Anacron jobs will start between 6am and 8am. START_HOURS_RANGE=6-8 # delay will be 5 minutes + RANDOM_DELAY for cron.daily 1 5 cron.daily nice run-parts /etc/cron.daily 7 0 cron.weekly nice run-parts /etc/cron.weekly @monthly 0 cron.monthly nice run-parts /etc/cron.monthly SEE ALSO
anacron(8), crontab(1) The Anacron README file. AUTHOR
Itai Tzur <itzur@actcom.co.il> Currently maintained by Pascal Hakim <pasc@(debian.org|redellipse.net)>. For Fedora, maintained by Marcela Malaova <mmaslano@redhat.com>. cronie 2012-11-22 ANACRONTAB(5)