Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Printing Problems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Printing Problems Post 24922 by dryheat on Saturday 20th of July 2002 07:59:10 PM
Old 07-20-2002
this is an answer and question:
A: Theoretically, if it's not necessary to print directly from the unix box, you should be able to shove the binary Windows driver output unaltered from your windows client to the printer on the Unix box using a samba share. Although i've been researching this, I haven't yet been successful due to an access problem.

My Question: My problem is a security issue. I can see my file samba shares fine, but with my printer, I get "Access Denied" on my Win2K client. I tried putting an entry in /etc/printcap (printcap.local), and in the smb.conf file putting "print command = lpr ...", security = user (same as my file shares) and security = share. I also have "public = yes" "browseable = yes" "printable = yes" and "writeable = no".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing via SCO Unix problems ;-(

I get the following when printing from a SCO Unix application { Who are you ?} The user is printing to a printer on a network print sharing device HP 500x. I think this printer is shared via the Unix machine. How does one set up printer sharing on Unix and access permissions for them? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JoseHose
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Printing Problems in unix ... ( Bar-cdoe - Ip Printing)

Hi guys ... i need ur help with some printing problem in unix ... first prob. : i wanna print from my NCR unix to an Win NT , Ip based printing server ( HP JetDirect ) . My issue , is it possible to print directly to an Ip address from unix ? How do i make it work to get any results ?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: QuickSilver
3 Replies

3. Solaris

emulation problems printing from sun solaris

Genicom LG05 printer with LG emulation. Due to problems with printer a replacement printer was installed with LP+ emulation only. Does the queue on UNIX have to be modified or told about the change in emulation for it to print from sun solaris unix. What's the command? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITBT
0 Replies

4. SCO

Printing Problems with SCO 5.0

I have several printers setup but nothing prints. I get the following error email Subject: Status of lp request aclj3-2297 Your request aclj3-2297 destined for aclj3 encountered an error while printing on printer aclj3. Reason for failure: cat: cannot open 0: No such file or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jessie Nand
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing problems

I am not able to print plain text in a correct manner. When I issue the command "lp -ddestination_printer myfile.txt" the printer prints a page with the following contents: Feb 24 11:26 2005 myfile.txt Page 1 ## Configured using SAM by root on Tue The line beginning... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ascanestro
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lpq, lpr and printing problems

good day! i would just like to ask for advice regarding an lp problem i have.. we currently migrated a GIS appl from sol 2.6 to sol 8 but maintained the same version of jetadmin (for the appl plotters and printers). we are able to print files on a printer but not on a plotter. the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maria_iris
1 Replies

7. Linux

Printing Problems..

Dear All.. When printing(Epson DotMatrix 9pinX136Cols) an graphics(Graphics2D) document through my Java application, the printer simply take a round and drop the paper out. Nothing printed is it my printer driver(currently using omni driver) problem. Any one of you pls suggest me the suitable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunize
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printing problems

Hi, the print spooler from my unix box keeps putting a header before every page, looks as below User: root Host: blemain.blemain.local Class: blemain.blemain.local Job: SPC075 then it forces the rest of the print to spread accross 2 pages (should be single page prints). Any idea... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blemainuser
0 Replies

9. AIX

printing problems...

hello... we have just recently purchased an ibm h80 system to replace our old machine. the new machine is running aix 5.2 and yesterday i had just completed installing all the remote printers that are connected to windows 2k pc's. today i tried to send a print job to one of them and nothing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: petrofyed
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Problems iwith colors while printing from dynamic array at runtime..

Hi Perl folks, I am having problems printing elements from an array at runtime. I wish to push elements into array at runtime and the print it later. Now I wish to print this matrix using colors. So I do something like this to enter the runtime values in array: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
1 Replies
ln03jaof(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       ln03jaof(8)

NAME
ln03jaof - Filter for the Japanese LN03S-JA printer SYNOPSIS
/usr/lbin/ln03jaof [-c] [-h host] [-i indent] [-l length] [-L locale] [-n login] [-w width] [accounting_file] OPTIONS
Prints control characters. Specifies the host name of the job owner. This name can contain Japanese characters. Specifies the amount of indentation. The default value is no (no indentation). Specifies the page length in lines. The default value is 66. Specifies the printer codeset. This value must be a valid locale name. The default value is ja_JP.deckanji. Specifies the login name of the job owner. This name can contain Japanese characters. Specifies the page width in columns. The default value is 132. OPERANDS
Specifies the file to record accounting information. DESCRIPTION
The ln03jaof filter is used to filter text data for the LN03S-JA printer. The filter handles the device dependencies of the printer and performs accounting functions. At print job completion times, accounting records are written to the file specified by the af field in the /etc/printcap file. The ln03jaof filter can handle plain text files and files that have been preprocessed by nroff. Either kind of file can contain non-ASCII characters. The filter translates nroff control sequences for underlining, superscripting, and subscripting into the proper control sequences for the LN03S-JA printer. The ln03jaof filter can be the specified filter in both the of and the if fields in the /etc/printcap file. For a description of these fields, see printcap(4). The LN03S-JA printer can be configured to use the software on-demand loading (SoftODL) mechanism to print user-defined characters (UDCs). See i18n_printing(5) for a description of SoftODL. To enable SoftODL printing, set the ys field in /etc/printcap to 256. You can also set the default SoftODL database, style, and size by using the odldb and odlstyle options of the ya field. If you specify a value for the yt field, use fifo. For more information on these fields and associated options, refer to printcap(4). NOTES
The lpr command supports a number of options and associated arguments to enable localization features supported by various printers. The following can be used with the ln03jaof print filter: To specify the SoftODL database path To specify SoftODL font style and size For a complete description of the -A option and its arguments, refer to lpr(1). ERRORS
The lf field (default value is /dev/null) in the /etc/printcap file specifies the name of the error log. SEE ALSO
Commands: lpr(1), pr(1), lpd(8), pac(8) Files: printcap(4) Others: i18n_printing(5) ln03jaof(8)