Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rm files in a directory, looping, counting, then exit Post 24831 by JporterFDX on Thursday 18th of July 2002 08:56:48 AM
Old 07-18-2002
Thanks Peter, I will try that.

James

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of files in a directory

Some simple questions from a simple man. If i wanted to count the number of files contained within a directory, say /tmp would ls -l /tmp ¦ wc -l suffice and will it be accurate? second one: How would i check the number of files with a certain string in the filename, in the same directory. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamalex
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line counting in Directory

I want to count the no of lines for files (.c and .h) present in a directory structure. My code is: #!/bin/bash # Usage: linecount.sh directory_name for file in $(find $1 -name ); do wc -l "$file" >> filecount.txt done Problem is that the directory structure is really big... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MobileUser
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting files in a directory that match a pattern

I have 20 files in a direcotry like BARE01_DLY_MKT_YYYYMMDD. The MKT differes for all these files but the remaining syntax remains the same for a particular day. If I am checking for today I need to make sure that there are 20 files that start with BARE01_DLY_MKT_20060720. How can I write a... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
31 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through the directory

Hi, I have to write a KSH script to loop through the directory and transfer all the files through FTP. The source machine is the Network shared drive and the files in the directory needs to be FTPied to the UNIX server. For eg. Directory (Datasource) + Directory1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

looping thru filenames in a directory

Hi, i am very new to UNIX, i am trying to loop thru the files in a directory. I got the filenames into a variable using $files=`ls` Here $files will contain <filename1> <filename2> <filename3> I want to get one filename at a time and append it to some some text. forexample, ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: silas.john
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a looping script for all files in directory

I have three different linux command scripts that I run for 20+ files in one directory. it goes like this FIRST SCRIPT: grep 'something' -w file > newfile1 . . . grep 'something -w file > newfile20 then I take all these 'newfileN' and run this: awk 'BEGIN {... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: labrazil
20 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Counting files in a given directory

Hi all, Need some help counting files... :) I'm trying to count the number of files in a given directory (and subdirectories) which reportedly contains "thousands" of files. I'm using this: ls -R | wc -l However it's been an hour and looks like it's still running; there is no output... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
18 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of characters in the filename of all files in a directory?

I am trying to display the output of ls and also print the number of characters in EVERY file name. This is what I have so far: #!/bin/sh for x in `ls`; do echo The number of characters in x | wc -m done Any help appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of files within a directory input by the user

So I have a loop that stated if a directory exists or not. If it does it prints the number of files within that directory. I use this code... result=`(ls -l . | egrep -c '^-')` However, no matter which directory I input, it outputs the number "2" What is wrong here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through entire directory and count unique values

Hello, I`m a complete newbie to coding, please help with this problem. I have multiple files in a directory, I have to loop through the contents of each file and extract number of unique isoforms in that file. Each file is tab delimited and only the line with the first parent (column 3)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
1 Replies
DH_INSTALLDEB(1)						     Debhelper							  DH_INSTALLDEB(1)

NAME
dh_installdeb - install files into the DEBIAN directory SYNOPSIS
dh_installdeb [debhelperoptions] DESCRIPTION
dh_installdeb is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files into the DEBIAN directories in package build directories with the correct permissions. FILES
package.postinst package.preinst package.postrm package.prerm These maintainer scripts are installed into the DEBIAN directory. Inside the scripts, the token #DEBHELPER# is replaced with shell script snippets generated by other debhelper commands. package.triggers package.shlibs These control files are installed into the DEBIAN directory. package.conffiles This control file will be installed into the DEBIAN directory. In v3 compatibility mode and higher, all files in the etc/ directory in a package will automatically be flagged as conffiles by this program, so there is no need to list them manually here. package.maintscript Lines in this file correspond to dpkg-maintscript-helper(1) commands and parameters. Any shell metacharacters will be escaped, so arbitrary shell code cannot be inserted here. For example, a line such as "mv_conffile /etc/oldconffile /etc/newconffile" will insert maintainer script snippets into all maintainer scripts sufficient to move that conffile. A versioned Pre-Dependency on dpkg is needed to use dpkg-maintscript-helper(1). An appropriate Pre-Dependency is set in ${misc:Pre-Depends} ; you should make sure to put that token into an appropriate place in your debian/control file. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 8.9.0ubuntu2.1 2012-06-12 DH_INSTALLDEB(1)